Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LES PAUL CLASSIC Quilt Top

animalfarm

Had this one a couple of years, plenty of time to get a feel for how

an EPI LP CLASSIC "handles". And the Review Sticky could use a few more.

Mine is a 2006 product of the DaeWoo (DW) Plant in China.

Sadly, the Classic Series was discontinued in 2006. [crying]

GIT: 2006 Epiphone LES PAUL CLASSIC (Amber Quilt Top)

PRICE PAID: $300.00

FEATURES:

Open coil Alnico Classic & Alnico Hot Humbucker pickups

Bridge Pickup - Black Open Coil HOTHB8B, 13.5K

Neck Pickup - Black Open Coil HB6N, 8.3K

Mahogany/alder body with flame maple veneer

Chrome hardware - Grover D-Tips Stock

Set mahogany neck - "Slim D" Style

Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays

22 Frets

Body & neck binding

Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Amber bell knobs

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

COLORS:

Trans Blue

Trans Amber

Trans Black

Trans Red

Wine Red

FIT/FINISH:

When I recieved the guitar, it was in totally MINT condition, maybe a couple of super-light

scratches on the back, which I buffed out. Epiphone HAD a winner with this one, I'll never understand

why they discontinued it. The nice, slim neck makes it very easy to play, and I find myself grabbing it

most of the time for that reason. It's the same "V-3" neck option being offered up on the EPI

50th Anniversary Les Paul - "Slim D".

It's definitely eyeball candy. The Front is gorgeous Glossy Quilt, the sides and back are gorgeous

Glossy Woodgrain. The Stock pickups actually sound quite nice, good tone response, no

muddiness at all. Same pups come stock with the EPI Les Paul Worn Brown Studio, and they DO sound muddy in it.

Apparantly, the Maple Cap on the Classic makes a difference.

The Stock Grover D-tips are Good tuners, I changed mine to Gibson Deluxe Tulips because I like Tulips

on Les Pauls.

The Neck, being thinner than a fatter D or C shape does react more quickly to temperature and

humidity changes. But a look over, and a slight truss rod adjustment fixes that issue. I do a

Summer and Winter set-up on all my gits anyway.

SOUND QUALITY:

As before, STOCK PUPS are just fine. NO NEED to change unless you just simply WANT to.

On their own, they produce good highs and mids, and the bass response isn't overwhelming/mud.

I DID ebay a set of 2004 Les Paul 498T/490R pups for $110, so... Game on! I'm a former GIBBY

CUSTOM LP owner, and wanted to make a git that equalled the GIBSON Sound on the cheap.It Worked!

Close your eyes and listen. No difference. It's all in the hands of the player.

IMPRESSIONS:

IF stolen, I would a VERY unhappy camper. And I WOULD buy another one. Right now, LP Classics

are ALL OVER ebay, and Guitar Center's Used Gear section - Just type in Epiphone Les Paul Classic,

click "National Search" and search. The realistic average price for one is about $350.00 in decent

condition, and I've recently seen prices ranging from $269.00 - $499.00. If you've wanted to buy one,

and you like Slim Necks, you won't be disappointed.

Classics have been around for while, also come in plainer finishes, Gold-Top finishes, and the eye-catching

"Birdseye Maple Top" finish.

EpiPhone-Les-Paul-classic-plus-guitar-647105_557_407.jpg

MANDATORY PICS:

1. STOCK:

100_0196.jpg

100_0197.jpg

2. After PUP/TUNER Mods:

100_0308.jpg

100_0310.jpg

100_0468-1.jpg

• 2 years later...

I know this is old animalfarm, but I couldn't agree with you more. I have a 2006 Epi LP Classic Quilt Top in the Wine Red finish and couldn't be happier. She really comes through for me as well as any Gibson I play. Here are some pics of my baby in question during a string change on my lunch break.

1.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

I know this is old animalfarm, but I couldn't agree with you more. I have a 2006 Epi LP Classic Quilt Top in the Wine Red finish and couldn't be happier. She really comes through for me as well as any Gibson I play. Here are some pics of my baby in question during a string change on my lunch break.

1.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

I have what I think is a 2003 LP Classic Quilt Top in Trans Red. I bought it in 2004. Like you, I have replaced the stock pickups with Gibson 496R and 500T, acquired on Ebay for $100 or so. Recently, I rewired it with coil tapping and all new 500K pots. Sounds great, even if I used the wrong capacitors. New, and correct ones are on the way from StewMac as we speak! Love that guitar!

2004LesPaulClasicQuilttop.jpg

Archived