Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LES PAUL STUDIO (Worn Brown)

animalfarm

Bought this one in 2008 when I made up my mind to rejoin the Guitar Army (Gitarmy?)

after a too-long absence due to military service and career focus.

I looked at M/F catalogs for months, focusing mainly on the lower-priced gits like

LP Specials and LP-100s. In the end, I WANTED Set-Neck and Wood Grain, and this

just fit my needs and was wallet-friendly. I bought. I STILL have. Happy! [thumbup]

GIT: 2008 Epiphone LES PAUL STUDIO Worn Brown/Satin Finish - QingDao (EE) product

PRICE PAID: $349.00 (Was same price then as today)

FEATURES:

Set mahogany neck, Fatter D shape - More Meat, but not a Baseball Bat

Rosewood fingerboard

Mahogany body with carved top

Hot open-coil Alnico Classic humbuckers

Bridge Pickup - Black Open Coil HOTHB8B, 13.5K

Neck Pickup - Black Open Coil HB6N, 8.3K

Chrome hardware - Grover D-Tips Stock

Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

22 Frets

Dot fingerboard inlays

Black Speed knobs

2 Vol. 2 Tone controls

3-way selector switch

24.75" scale

1.68" nut width

COLORS:

Worn Brown (satin finish)

Worn Cherry (satin finish)

Ebony (satin Finish)

FIT/FINISH:

On arrival, I was like a kid at Christmas! Came with all the case candy, including the

unshielded cable for the amp (BUZZZZZZZ). Still have the cable, just use it for Korg tuner.

Total inspection, No damage, No finish cracks, neck as straight as arrow, knobs on straight.

Intonation pretty darn close, action was set to Factory Specs, which is a tad high for my

tastes, but ME changed it.

It was NICE to feel a Les Paul in my hands again. Was very satisfied with my Epiphone purchase,

and I was a GIBSON owner previously. I knew not to use polish on a satin finish, so I snagged

a real Chamios for wipe-downs. Worked so well, I use a Chamios on every git I have and occasionally

hit the Glossy ones with Guitar Polish. The SATIN finish is starting to show "slightly glossy" areas

from my rubbing on it, but that's just "MOJO".

The Worn Brown/Woodgrain finish IS nice to look at - The Drummer that I jam with keeps trying

to BUY it from me. [-X[-X[-X

SOUND QUALITY:

Stock Pups are: Bridge Pickup - Black Open Coil HOTHB8B, 13.5K, Neck Pickup - Black Open Coil HB6N, 8.3K

Due to the solid Mahogany construction, they DO tend to project a lot of the Lower Frequencies, and may

sound "muddy" to some. But don't fear, you can still get your "Pinch Harmonics", and they'll keep you

happy until the "Mod Bug" hits you.

To that end, I ebayed a set of GIBSON 498T/490R pups from a 1992 Gibson Les Paul for a REEEEELY good price,

and upgraded the Tuners to Gibson Deluxe Tulips. My choice. Yes, BIG difference in sound.

IMPRESSIONS:

Still have it. Won't sell it. I can definitely feel the difference between the Studio Neck

and my LP Classic neck, but either one is highly playable. An advantage to the "FAT D" neck

is that it doesn't react much to temperature and humidity changes like the thinner neck on my

LP Classic. Pretty much stays where you put it, but will need the occasional tweak as the

seasons change. I'm very happy with my choice.

MANDATORY PICS:

STOCK with Factory Pups and Tuners:

100_0182.jpg

AFTER PUP & TUNER upgrades:

100_0205.jpg

100_0203.jpg

BONUS PICS:

First - "REAL" Gibson Studio (worn brown), Second - Epi Studio with upgrades

(just gotta replace them fret inlays...)

GibsonVintageMahoganyLP01.jpg

100_0206.jpg

Congratulations on a real sweeitie, and, IMO, one of the better bargains out there!

A stopry of One That Got Away:

Saw one just like this in the "seconds" section of a local store for $219. (yes, you read that right!). The only thing that at all appeared (or sounded) to be wrong was the plastic cover of the toggle was missing. Went to get it a couple days afterwards--gone!

Now, my loal GC has a "clearance" model (but cherry/gloss) for the same price. Hmmmm...

Archived