Gibson Brands Forums

Recording and Mixing at Home 101

drathbun

I don't post much in this forum; mostly in the Acoustic room. However, I thought interested people here might benefit from this wonderful, for want of a better phrase, "lecture series" on home recording, mixing and mastering. It is a compilation of a three year thread in the recording forum at Cockos (the authors of the great and affordable multitrack recording software "Reaper"). The author's handle is "Yep" and although he is not currently a professional engineer or producer, he has held those positions in the profession in the past. More than his experience and knowledge, his excellent method of explanation for some very complex concepts makes this series an absolute must for those still struggling with why their home recordings "sound like ***". In fact the thread's title is "Why Do Your Home Recordings Sound Like A**?" (later abbreviated to WDYHRSLA).

I started cutting and pasting after the first couple of pages (there are hundreds) and finally skipped to the end to find someone had compiled all three years of the discussion. The first year is vitally important as Yep deals with the basic concepts of audio theory and especially "Level Matching". There are many "ah ha!" moments when reading through this excellent series. It will make you understand why when you want more out of your mix, you should think about taking away rather than adding. I learned tons. There are also terrific little anecdotes that are surprising in themselves... for example; AD/DC's singer's vocals are whisper quiet and the band's vintage Marshall stacks are set to volumes around 4 and 5 and yet they have recorded albums perceived as some of the loudest in rock history.

Third Year

Second Year

First Year

Archived