Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD for CB

charlie brown

Well, gang...I've done it, this time! [thumbup] Got a new Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom "Gold Top!"

Didn't spend a dime, except the gas up and back, to my dealer (E.M. Shorts) in Wichita. I traded in

4 other guitars, that I just didn't play, and/or "bond" with. Came home, with this beauty, and am

"tickled to death," with both the deal, and the guitar! Awesome! Still in the "honeymoon" stage, obviously,

but love the way it plays, and sounds. Some quick snap-shots, below:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Gloss finished "Gold Tops" are a bit more problematic, to photograph...especialy in

"snap shot" mode...but, you'll get the idea, anyway.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks, all...I think I'm going to REALLY enjoy this one. Not that I don't

love all my other's, but...when I got over being "knocked out," by it's appearance,

I plugged it in, and played on it, awhile...in the store. Great sound, and feel, too.

It's pristine, as well...no "flaws," or QC oversights...so far, anyway. And, I looked

it over pretty carefully, prior to taking it home.

CB

That sure is sharp CB! 50's profile neck I presume? Hopefully you didn't trade in something that will be a collector's item someday :) Enjoy the honeymoon!

Thanks, Jeff...no,it's a '60's profile neck...which is "my" favorite! And, rest assured, there were

no "vintage," or new "collectible" guitars traded in. Just some, that I liked a lot, but never seemed

to play much. It will be much better, for them, to be played (hopefully, a lot), and have a good home, elsewhere.

CB

Thanks, Jeff...no,it's a '60's profile neck...which is "my" favorite! And, rest assured, there were

no "vintage," or new "collectible" guitars traded in. Just some, that I liked a lot, but never seemed

to play much. It will be much better, for them, to be played (hopefully, a lot), and have a good home, elsewhere.

CB

Awesome that's my favorite neck profile too [thumbup]

that's a sexy guitar CB !!

i'm thinking you have a Gold Top "fetish" !! [woot]

and thats not a bad thing...........

LOL...yeah, could be! Thanks, Bender! Still only have 2...I traded in

the '50's Tribute (among other's), toward this one...as I still have, and

plan on keeping, the '60's Tribute, and didn't really "need" both. Besides,

what can I say, I was/still am..."Smitten," Big Time! ;>)

CB

Well, gang...I've done it, this time! [thumbup] Got a new Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom "Gold Top!"

Didn't spend a dime, except the gas up and back, to my dealer (E.M. Shorts) in Wichita. I traded in

4 other guitars, that I just didn't play, and/or "bond" with. Came home, with this beauty, and am

"tickled to death," with both the deal, and the guitar! Awesome! Still in the "honeymoon" stage, obviously,

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Gloss finished "Gold Tops" are a bit more problematic, to photograph...especialy in

Cheers,

CB

Congratulations, CB! If I were to come across a guitar as nice as that, I would scoop it up. The fingerboard is dark enough for my liking...

[bTW, did you spring for the historic truss rod cover, or did it come with the guitar?]

Enjoy!

J/W

[drool]

Congratulations, CB! If I were to come across a guitar as nice as that, I would scoop it up. The fingerboard is dark enough for my liking...

[bTW, did you spring for the historic truss rod cover, or did it come with the guitar?]

Enjoy!

J/W

[drool]

No, I had the '59 TRC, already. I just switched it out, with the "normal" one. I've always

preferred the "historic" (wider) white beveling, on them. It's just one of my quirks/kinks! [biggrin]

Plus, in this case, I think it adds nicely, to the look, with the bound headstock. But, maybe that's just me?

CB

No, I had the '59 TRC, already. I just switched it out, with the "normal" one. I've always

preferred the "historic" (wider) white beveling, on them. It's just one of my quirks/kinks! [biggrin]

Plus, in this case, I think it adds nicely, to the look, with the bound headstock. But, maybe that's just me?

CB

[blush] Naw, I have the same fetish... the first thing I do when I get a new Gibson is to put on an historic truss rod cover (at $30Cdn a pop!)

J/W

[huh]

Wow that is nice.... [thumbup]

First time seeing a gold top custom..... Wondering if there will be a ebony board option at some point [confused]

Thanks, Duane...

Hmmm, don't know. As this is a "Classic Custom" without the back body binding, etc....and at a lower

price point, than the normal "Custom's," I'd say probably not, on the Ebony fretboard option. But, I've

been totally wrong, before. So, who knows?

The thing is, from a feel and sound point, they seem very similar. This one may be a bit "warmer," but

with the same kind of "bite," the Ebony one, on my Custom has. So...??? I really don't have a problem

or concern, with the Baked Maple, on this one...especially after playing it, for some time, now. But,

to each his/her own, as always.

Either way, the sound/tone, is certainly within "tweaking" possibilites, on most amps.

CB

HNGD.jpg

Damn, that's nice looking and I'm not even a LP man & I love it!!!

Congrats!!! [thumbup]

Aster

Thanks, Astor. Growing even more fond of it, all the time. I think, now...

it's been one of my better "decisions," recently.

Just played it, right along side (changing back and forth) wtih my 1980 Custom.

They are different, but very similar, too. The best way I can describe the tone

of the "Classic Custom" vs. the Custom...is that the "Classic Custom" has more of

a LP "Standard" tone, but with the "edge" that the Baked Maple fingerboard imparts.

Some of that, maybe the difference in pickups, too. They're both "warm" sounding,

with the Classic Custom being every so slighly more so. I think the regular Custom

has a bit of an edge, sustain wise, due to it's weight, possibly? But, Both...have

plenty! I'm quite sure, different guitars of the same models, in both cases, will

have slightly different tonal characteristics. We all know this to be true, guitar

to guitar, no matter the model or "identical" specs. At any rate, in this case, I'm sure

my "Classic Custom," is a Keeper!!

CB

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Cheers,

CB

HNGD! It's gorgeous! Was this one that was on your "Bucket List" ? I'm dyin cause I traded three in for a new Gibby VOS TV yellow sc LP Special but it's being shipped in.

HNGD! It's gorgeous! Was this one that was on your "Bucket List" ? I'm dyin cause I traded three in for a new Gibby VOS TV yellow sc LP Special but it's being shipped in.

Thanks, MgrMatt! My ever changing "bucket list?" [tongue] No...those are an ES-345, and a VOS SG/Les Paul, with

Maestro. Neither of which, were in the store...and, as mentioned, this Classic Custom just "Stunned" me,

when I saw it. So, it was there, I had means to deal, to get it, and thankfully, it came home with me!

CB

Beautiful Custom, CB!

I'm interested to know what four guits you had to part with in the trade.

Alan

Well, as mention previously, one was my '50's Tribute Gold Top Studio (I kept my '60's version)...

Another one was a Washburn (Korea) Cumberland 12-string acoustic, nice sounding guitar, for a

decent/fair price, but the neck was too wide, for me, to be comfortable. An '82 Japanese Strat,

that I never played anymore, because I have 2 other's...my original '64, and a nice little "High-

way 1 (small headstock version), that I like more. And, the guitar I really didn't want to part

with, but will replace (proabably with a Gold-Top, or Royale version), was my Epi P-93LE Riviera.

I got what I wanted/expected out of all of them, on trade, except the 12-string...thought I might

get more for it, but it had a nicely reparied crack, in the top, so...I was being "optimistic" on

that one. (Smile) But, overall, I was realistic, and very pleased, with the deal. I just LOVE

this Classic Custom! Looks, playability, tone/sound, everything!

CB

Archived