Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 175T

fretplay

I've just looked it up in Adrian Ingram's book....it was made from '76 to '79

With a 335 like depth...otherwise identical to the 175

Seems to have evolved into the ES 135...then into the current well regarded ES 137, albeit with a mahogany centre block

IMO florentine semis have real classic beauty.....

V

:-({|=

I've just looked it up in Adrian Ingram's book....it was made from '76 to '79

With a 335 like depth...otherwise identical to the 175

Seems to have evolved into the ES 135...then into the current well regarded ES 137, albeit with a mahogany centre block

IMO florentine semis have real classic beauty.....

V

:-({|=

They most certainly DO...! :P

J/W

I have a wine-coloured '76 ES-175T from about Xmas 2006 until May 2008. I liked it. It played nicely and seemed to be made quite well considering it was from the Norlin era. The only drawback it had (for me) was it being only 20 frets. It felt kinda strange going up to the 17th fret A-note on the high E string and being so close to the end of the fret board.

It was replaced by my Byrdland.

My first post. I have one with a 6-digit serial number 25XXXX - '73 -'75?. It is a 1 ¾” depth ES-175. As good of quality of any guitar I have had – including other Gibson’s, Gretsch professionals, Heritage, Terada Ibanez’s, etc... It’s a wonderful sounding/playing guitar. I can get convincing George Benson tones from the neck pickup, very warm Chet Atkins Gibson-era double pick up sounds and organic, biting bridge pickup sounds. But it also sounds great overdriven from mild to heavy. So it’s also an ES-175 that is more manageable at higher volumes than the fat ones. I have had it since 1992.

I was just playing an ES175T at Willies American Guitar in St.Paul MN last week. They have one for sale, I think it was a 1976. I have always wanted to try one out. It played nice and sounded good but not as resonant as I thought it would be. I would compare it to my 1956 ES225T size and weight wise, not sound wise though. Nice easy player and good build quality but I never plugged it in.

Thanks John

Archived