Gibson Brands Forums

Any S Series Experts out there?

Aoresteen

I just bought a very abused S Series guitar that I think is an S-300 from around 1991 or so. It's a Fiesta Red with the inlaid Epiphone logo on a banana headstock. It has a blank replacement neck plate so I do not have a serial number. :(

What is the difference between an S-300 and an S-310?

Here is the Epi Wiki entry on the S-Series guitars

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=S-Series#S-300

Here are some cell phone pictures:

S-300overall.jpg

S-300body.jpg

S300headstock.jpg

The bridge is held down by large sheet metal screws:

S-300bridge2.jpg

The guitar was covered in dirt. The tremolo arm is broken off in the trem block. The strings were like rusted barb wire. Switch knob top is missing. Pots are scratchy. Pickups are terrible. The neck is miss-aligned. One strap button is a replacement. The neck was bowed. The string saddles were too low - buzz city. Huge screws in bridge. What was I thinking?

So far I have removed the ugly sticker by the bridge which took 20 minutes of hard rubbing with GOO Gone to get rid of the sticker residue after I peeled the sticker off. I replaced the strings with a 10-46 set. I cleaned the frett board with GOO Gone and you would not believe the crap that came off. Now the Fiesta Red shines again.

Using a 5mm allen wrench I was able to strighten out the neck with almost 1.5 turns. Then I raised most of the string saddles. The new strings played well after the neck adjustments but the intonation is still off.

As for the bridge, I have no idea what condition the inserts are in. It will be repaired or replaced, perhaps with a Guitar Fetish brass trem block as well.

Are the two point trem bridges different sizes for USA vs imports? I'm thinking a replacement bridge like these would be nice but I'm not sure on sizing:

2pointtrem.jpg

or

Hipshot_Tremolo_sm.jpg

I found this picture of what the bridge SHOULD look like:

properbridge2.jpg

Any ideas on what to do with the bridge?

Thanks!

There was no real difference between the S-300 and S-310. The S-300 came first. When they started producing the 310 in 1989, the 300 bacame part of a player pack, but was really the same guitar. It just had a different name for the Player Pack. Prior to the 1989 and the S-310, the S-300 had a Bennder tremolo, the Tech-II series pickups, optional black hardware and a plethora of different headstock designs. The 1986-1988 S-300s are the only ones you will find that will be different than a S-310.

Yeah, she looks a little beat up. The serial number was most likely on a sticker on the back of the neck and was removed. The neck plate might actually be the original. My 1986 S-500 is set up like that. The neck plate is blank.

I'm pretty sure the difference between USA & import bridges are the units of measurment. The USA bridge will be imperial (inches) and the imports will be in milimeters. These are Korean guitars so you will want an import bridge. Just be sure to take measurments from the center of the bridge screws and double check with the manufacturer's specs.

The guitar was covered in dirt. The tremolo arm is broken off in the trem block. The strings were like rusted barb wire. Switch knob top is missing. Pots are scratchy. Pickups are terrible. The neck is miss-aligned. One strap button is a replacement. The neck was bowed. The string saddles were too low - buzz city. Huge screws in bridge. What was I thinking?

Aoresteen.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Wow! Your project came with strings and a bridge?!

I'm envious. Just bought what was left of a Epi Jr. (The only thing I like more than playing guitar is playing with them.)

Take plenty of pics and keep us updated. Sounds like a great fun project.

Maybe we can all learn something.

Willy

Aoresteen.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Wow! Your project came with strings and a bridge?!

I'm envious. Just bought what was left of a Epi Jr. (The only thing I like more than playing guitar is playing with them.)

Take plenty of pics and keep us updated. Sounds like a great fun project.

Maybe we can all learn something.

Willy

I have whats left of a LP Junior at home as well. Its in about as many peices as a guitar can be in. I gave the body to a friend to paint almost a year ago. Still waiting...

well I think it's a cool project [thumbup] I can hardly wait to see it finished.

I agree that those wilkinson bridges are a great idea. you could add some locking machine heads too.

What do you have planned for the pickups?

What, you don't like the stock Samick pickups? :)

Well, I don't either. Here's what I'm thinking. Way back in the 80's there was a guy name Charley who made a guitar for a player from Austin, TX. You might have heard of him - Stevie Ray Vaughn. :)

Charley made this guitar (replica photo):

charley00.jpg

(not a good replica - doesn't have the Hipshot string through bridge and has two tones & one vol control where the orginal uses one tone and one vol)

charlie3.jpg

srvcharley.jpg

I don't do replicas but I take inspiration from guitars I like. So lipstick pups it is from GFS - a matched set.

GFSlipstick.jpg

The pickguar will be made from this material:

black_paisley.jpg

Here is a Squier Bullet Special I did up with the paisley:

BulletSpecialDice.jpg

Thoughts?

Tony

Newnan, GA

Next week I'll strip the guitar down and send out the pickguard, trem cover and truss cover to John at Terrapin Guitars for him to make custom replacements. I need to sort out how much damage has been done to the trem posts; right now I'm leaning towards getting a nice floating trem replacement.

I'll order the pups next week as well. While I'm waiting on the pickguard I'll replace the tuners and install the Schaller StrapLocks.

When I get all the parts in I will assemble it and then take it to my tech for a bone nut and final set-up. He might have to dress/level the frets but once he is done with it, it's what I call 'tour-ready'.

It should be done by Christmas.

When I get all the parts in I will assemble it and then take it to my tech for a bone nut and final set-up. He might have to dress/level the frets but once he is done with it, it's what I call 'tour-ready'.

Tony,

Very cool stuff.

I guess that what surprises me is that with what you obviously know that you don't do those things yourself.

Is it just a matter of time?

By the way...hope you stay aboard. Good to have you here.

Willy

Tony,

Very cool stuff.

I guess that what surprises me is that with what you obviously know that you don't do those things yourself.

Is it just a matter of time?

By the way...hope you stay aboard. Good to have you here.

Willy

Willy,

Sometimes you need to know your limitations. I outsource stuff that I'm likely to screw up and have to do two or three times :)

I can wire/build/paint etc but I've never tried fret work. With my travel schedule between Orlando & Atlanta, my time is limited so I let my local tech do what he does best and I am assured of a great final result. I like & know electronics so I wire all my guitars the way I want them.

I have 3 other builds in progress right now:

1. A Squier Strat MIDI guitar - Ghost system

2. A Squier Strat 'Debbie Davies' build with a P90, SD Cool Rails, and a Filtertron neck pup.

3. A '95 Epi DOT build that you will like :)!

Here's a sneak peek:

Headstocknotrusscover.jpg

Here's one of my more complex builds I did a couple of years ago - I did the nitro paint myself:

T-56done.jpg

T56headstock.jpg

It's a Keith Richards Tele 5 string Open G on top and a SRV '59 Strat on the bottom. Took way too much time and it is H E A V E Y!!!!!!!!!!! But fun to play for a song or two. The Tele bridge is a '53 spec hand wound by Jeff

Chevalier. He also wound the Strat pups to SRV '59 specs. Outstanding work! He used to be known as CopperHead Pickups. Highly reccomended!

http://www.chevalierpickups.com/

So yes, it does come down to time!

Thanks for your comments!

Tony

UPDATE

I tore the S-300 down today. First order of business was to remove the two sheet metal screws holding down the bridge. The screws are HUGE!

largebolts.jpg

These are railroad spikes! Can you believe the size of these suckas? There are no inserts. The 'repair' person pulled out the insterts and found the largest screws possible to hold the bridge down. At least he didn't epoxy them in!

Looks like I will have to dowel them out and re-drill. Ugh! A rough measurement of the bridge stud to stud is about 2 1/16 inch. The bridge is trash. I'll get a new one.

Noinserts.jpg

Looks like the guitar got wet inside at some point as there is lots of rust & corrosion on metal parts. The pickups are rusted as well:

rustedpups.jpg

I'm surprised that the electronics worked at all. I tossed the pickups & controlls. Just junk. Saved a few of the nuts & screws. Saved the bridge for now.

The body is routed HSH. Plenty of room in there for humbuckers.

HSHroute.jpg

Here are the plastic parts I'm sending to Terrapin Guitars for new replacements. The trem cover will be red to blend in better with the back. I'm having "S-300" engraved on the truss rod cover like Epiphone should have done back in the day.

plasticparts.jpg

It could be worse! This week I will start chasing parts.

I just bought a very abused S Series guitar

The bridge is held down by large sheet metal screws:

S-300bridge2.jpg

UPDATE

I tore the S-300 down today. First order of business was to remove the two sheet metal screws holding down the bridge. The screws are HUGE!

largebolts.jpg

LOL!!! I'm surprised It didn't come with a piece of sheet metal duct used as a case.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 28 Nov 2011

1. The pickguard, trem cover, and truss rod cover have ben sent to Terrapin Guitars & I'm waiting for them to be made.

2. The GFS lipstick pickups arrived and are waiting on the pickguard.

3. I replaced the output jack plate with a new one and a new 1/4" mono jack. There was a stereo jack in it.

4. My guitar tech is plugging & drilling the new holes for the bridge. The oversized screws damaged the insert holes so the only way to fix them properly is to dowel them with hardwood. My drill press doesn't have enough reach to get the drill bit over the bridge area.

5. Since the insert holes have to be redrilled, it doesn't matter what size post spread we use. We decided on the Hipshot bridge with 2 1/16" string spread. Very close to the 52.5mm string spead that the orginal bridge had.

6. The nicer looking cast 'Made in Korea' Epiphone neck plate arrived.

7. Schaller Straplock buttons were installed.

5. Since the insert holes have to be redrilled, it doesn't matter what size post spread we use. We decided on the Hipshot bridge with 2 1/16" string spread. Very close to the 52.5mm string spead that the orginal bridge had.

That works too! Hipshot makes a good bridge. Very good choice.

• 1 month later...

Any chance of a square on photo of either the new or old pickguard with a 6" ruler next to it. I just picked up an old s300 with a different pickguard which almost fits. Looking at getting better one made.

No rush, this is going to be a future project. My tailpiece has 6 holes and 4 screws [confused]

• 1 month later...

Any chance of a square on photo of either the new or old pickguard with a 6" ruler next to it. I just picked up an old s300 with a different pickguard which almost fits. Looking at getting better one made.

No rush, this is going to be a future project. My tailpiece has 6 holes and 4 screws [confused]

Sounds like someone put a vintage 6 screw bridge on it at some point.

Send me a PM on the pickguard - I can send you my orginal to copy now that Terrapin has made me a new one.

UPDATE.

No luck on the hipshot bridge. Both my tech's sources can't seem to get it. Yesterday I ordered one on line and should have it 'soon'. We will see.

But I have some new photos of it minus the bridge!

Overall view:

s300overallnew.jpg

Terrapin Guitars made the pickguard.

http://www.terrapinisland.com/

Body

s300bodynew.jpg

The GFS lipstick pickups are wired up and ready to go. Note that I use only one tone pot.

Headstock

headstocknew.jpg

Check out the truss rod cover I had made with "S-300" on it:

trusscovernew.jpg

Of course I have the Hula girl on back - this time she's right side up:

s300hulaback.jpg

I had Terrapin Guitars make a new trem cover in red for the bak that matches quite well.

hullabackdetail.jpg

Stevie had her upside down :)

srvcharley.jpg

I've missplaced the Epiphone neckplate. Ugh!

Now if that blinkin' Hipshot bridge would just show up I could play her.

Archived