Gibson Brands Forums

problem where frets meet binding

goillini

Yeah, happens as they age. The high E string tends to get stuck in the gap occasionally. A small, carefully applied drop of crazy glue fixes it for a while. Might take a few applications at first.

Worked for me. If anyone has a better method, I would love to hear it.

How new is the guitar? How worn are the frets? Personally, I don't care for the way Gibson does the FB binding as fret ends. When I had my SG re-fretted, I had the FB binding filed flat and had the fret ends go all the way to the edge of the FB. Completely solves the problem.

It's irritating. It happens to me too when I play certain things -- notably Spirit of Radio. That first pulloff makes a horrid sound. I find that if I am extra careful, I can pull the string a bit less and make it work. So maybe you could discipline yourself to alter your playing style a bit.

It's a great visual to have the binding cap the frets, but it's a terrible design. It ages poorly, it reduces playability, and otherwise just creates a new point of failure. But nobody's perfect, and we all of our quirks, and my SG's quirk is that she's fussy about Rush. I can accept it (but it's still form before function design).

Well, if you do not want to get a re-fret done, try the trick of putting a drop of Krazy glue in the gap. You can also try a small amount of baking powder, then apply the Krazy glue - the 2 mixed together make a very hard material like bone. If there's a little excess, just sand or file it down to smooth. It's a fairly simple and easy fix for the problem.

Well, if you do not want to get a re-fret done, try the trick of putting a drop of Krazy glue in the gap. You can also try a small amount of baking powder, then apply the Krazy glue - the 2 mixed together make a very hard material like bone. If there's a little excess, just sand or file it down to smooth. It's a fairly simple and easy fix for the problem.

Very nice tip with the baking soda! Gonna try that.

if you use crazy glue to fill the gap a luthier will have a real hard time re-fretting your guitar as crazy glue needs to be cut out!

If you have your fret nibs filed down and removed you will have a hard time selling the guitar as the value will be greatly reduced. Alot of luthiers persuade you to do it because it makes it easier for them because they dont know what they are doing!

IMO dont ruin your guitar. Take it to a luthier and let him suggest fixes. If you dont want to take it to a luthier then use Titebond to fill the gaps (removeable with steam) or make tiny shims and stick them with titebond. this is completely reversable.

if it was mine i'd give in and get it refretted and brought back to full health the proper way it is afterall a Gibson and not a £200 guitar. depending on the gap placements and interference of playability (the way it has separated to) i might be inclined to drop fill similiar plastic binding by metling it with acetone but even thats messy and only to be used as a last resort.

On my sg standard, where the frets meet the binding there seems to be a gap. The high(little) e string gets hung up, mostly when doing pull-offs. Has anyone else heard of this?

goillini, Hi! I had a similar problem when I first got my 2011 SG Standard (Heritage Cherry) in March of last year. It only happened to me on the 2nd-3rd fret area

of the high "e" string. If the fret is lifting, you'll need to take it to a reputable guitar tech and have him tap the fret in. Don't try it yourself, if you don't

know how to do it, or you may make it worse. I also had to have a new nut put in as it seemed that my high "e" string wasn't set up correctly with the proper nut

spacing, which also contributed to the string slipping off the fretboard...so much for QC at the factory. [sad]

Archived