Gibson Brands Forums

String getting caught between fret and binding

cob666

I'm having a similar problem that flight959 is having which is outlined in this thread.

This is the SECOND time this has happened, the first time I was told by the retail outlet (G***** Center) that they were not an authorized Gibson repair center and they they would sent it out to a repair center. I contacted Gibson and was referred to an authorized repair center that was actually pretty close to me. This shop is also an authorized Martin repair center, I've seen his work and it's pretty nice. He explained that it was actually NOT an easy fix because from what he could tell, the frets seemed to be a little too short and not rounded properly in relation to the raised binding edge. He explained that he had actually seen this issue before and the only real fix without doing any costly fret and binding work was to fill the gap with an epoxy.

All went well for almost a year and tonight the high E string got stuck between the fret and the binding again. Should I contact Gibson directly or should I try to resolve this through the repair facility first?

Any help would be much appreciated because it's so easy to get the string stuck in the binding that the guitar is unplayable in it's current condition.

Thanks

-Chris

It depends. If you are concerned with "the principle" and want Gibson to take care of it you will probably have to go round and round a few times. That's not trashing Gibson CS, but just the bureaucratic reality. If you just want it repaired quickly and don't mind paying out of pocket, you will save yourself much frustration by just taking it to someone yourself. That's just my opinion.

I would definitely go to Gibson,especially if the guitar is only a year old.Who knows what other problems can pop up,and its better to have it documented with the factory.You can still go and have it fixed,but having it on record is very important for future claims.

1MESAMAN, this guitar is actually 3 years old.

I heard back from my luthier this afternoon. He explained the situation to Gibson and they want the guitar sent to them. I was told that in all likelyhood that if the guitar really needs to have the frets and neck binding done then they will just send me a new guitar.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Will keep you posted and thanks for the quick replies and advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Gibson has had the guitar for 10 days now and no word yet. I spoke with Gibson last week and was told that the guitar was received but hadn't been processed through their repair system to be evaluated yet. I will call them back on Monday if I don't hear anything, I'm getting a bit ansy.

:-&

Gibson called today and the guitar was shipped to my local luthier and should be delivered on Monday. He told me that he would check it out to see exactly what was done and to verify that it will fix my problem. Gibson wasn't willing to share any info with me regarding exactly what was done.

Picked up the guitar yesterday from my luthier. Gibson did NOTHING to fix the problem. They indicated on the repair ticket that they cleaned the fretboard and changed the strings. My luthier worked some kind of voodoo on the binding and filled the gaps with crazy glue again. The guitar once again plays wonderfully and I forgot how NICE that thing sounds!

I'm very disappointed in the support I received from Gibson regarding to this matter.

Archived