Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Yet Another Classic Custom

Danner

She came today, I am overwhelmed by this gorgeous instrument.

lp-m.jpg

This is my Les Paul. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My Les Paul is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My Les Paul, without me, is useless. Without my Les Paul, I am useless. I must play my Les Paul true. I must play better this performance than in performances past, for I may miss a note. I must play more and more so the notes never fail me. I will play more...

My Les Paul and myself know that what counts in this performance are not the songs we play, the distortion of our amps, or the screams we make. We know that hitting the notes is all that counts. We will hit them...

My Les Paul is human, even as I, because it is my instrument. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its strings and its controls. I will keep my Les Paul tuned and ready, even as I am prepared and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My Les Paul and myself are the performers of my music. We are the masters of our performances. We are the saviors of my music.

So be it, until all the crowds stand and cheer, and all the songs have all been performed, practice in peace!

lp-l.jpg

lp-a.jpg

lp-c.jpg

lp-f.jpg

lp-g.jpg

lp-h.jpg

lp-i.jpg

lp-j.jpg

lp-k.jpg

Beautiful CC LP Danner. She is beautiful in black! [drool] Were you watching Full Metal Jacket earlier tonight? It was on, I was watching it. I laughed when I saw the creed.

Have fun with her, they practically play themselves! I have had mine less than a week and I am in love with that guitar! [love]

Cheers,

Voodoo Monkey [smile]

Nice catch.

I am finding I am liking my $1600 ES-339 better all the time and I need a less expensive LP I am not afraid to leave the house with.

I think I can get a CC for $1500 locally or an all time favorite of mine Traditional for $1750 locally. Both have those 57s I love so well.

Wouldn't it be something if my two cheapest Gibbies end up being my favorites?

Don't get me wrong, I love my expensive ones but this 339 is just a little tone monster and I haven't played a CC yet but I certainly like the looks and features.

enjoy,

Sweet guitar... Congrats man... Seems like alot of these Classic Customs are around.. If I didnt already a Classic this is surely the one id get (wine red :)) Happy playing dude =D>

Very nice! All these threads are making want to buy a second one for myself. Maybe we need a Classic Custom Club for all us owners [smile]

I was thinking the same thing (a second LPCC for myself and a LPCC Club)... [biggrin][thumbup]

Thanks guys. My finger tips are pretty numb this morning. I was playing with all the tones the LPCC and little Vox can produce, it's pretty amazing.

I'm a long time acoustic guy, and I'm thinking it would be fun to get into some rock and blues lead stuff now for sure.

BTW, I am all for an LPCC club, there seems to be a lot of out here now.

Cheers.

Beautiful guitar but I'm not sure about that fretboard binding how it meets the fret ends. Don't the strings get caught up with vibrato? What happens when a refret is needed- would that ruin the binding?

Sorry to all the Classic Custom owners who seem very very happy campers but I guess I'm just getting increasingly turned off by fretboard binding. For my latest purchase (Ibanez RG1570) I could have spent only £50 more to get a prestige with binding but I deliberately passed it by for that reason.

For me, the fret binding is a really cool detail, craftsmanship thing. On the other hand, I've never had a guitar refretted, so that never occurred to me. I wonder if any luthiers might comment on that?

Re-fretting bound fingerboards is more time consuming, therefore, more expensive.

It really just depends on whether or not, you like/love bound fingerboards or not,

as to if it's "worth it," in the long run. I, personally, love the feel, and look

of a bound fingerboard. But, I have plenty of guitars (Gibson, or otherwise) that

don't have bound boards. So, it's not a "deal breaker" either way, really.

CB

Beautiful guitar but I'm not sure about that fretboard binding how it meets the fret ends. ...

I see from your list you have a Studio (unbound). All of Gibson's bound electrics have "nibs" - "nibs" are the fret ends that are covered by the binding. It's one way to tell fakes, which rarely take this fact into account and mistakenly have the bare fret ends set over the binding. I guess you'll just have to stick to the very few unbound Gibson models or as you're doing, buy other brands.

Usually on a refret, the new frets are simply installed over the binding.

I see from your list you have a Studio (unbound). All of Gibson's bound electrics have "nibs" - "nibs" are the fret ends that are covered by the binding. It's one way to tell fakes, which rarely take this fact into account and mistakenly have the bare fret ends set over the binding.

Usually on a refret, the new frets are simply installed over the binding..

Well, that's the cheaper "Lazy" way. But, if you want it done, the way Gibson does it,

it's just more expensive, due to the time and labor involved. I've had several re-frets

done, on bound fingerboards, over the years. I've always paid the extra, to have it done

"right" (matching the original). But "good" fret jobs, on unbound boards, are nice, too!

They just need to be polished and dressed correctly, that's all. [thumbup]

CB

Just curious CB - can you give us a number on the difference in price (from the last time you had one done)?

Yeah, the last time I had it done, was $250, for the unbound board, and $350-400 (depending on the guitar)

for a bound board. But, that's been awhile ago. So, it may be more, now?

CB

Yeah, the last time I had it done, was $250, for the unbound board, and $350-400 (depending on the guitar)

Actually, that doesn't seem too bad.

Thanks CB

CB

I'm surprised the cost was that low.

I'll gladly pay a higher price for a quality job that I know will be done right and to the standards that the instrument was built. I don't see any reason to pay good money for any quality item, guitar or otherwise, and then not pay to have quality repair or maintenance work. I can't stand to see quality butchered by second rate workmanship.

I see from your list you have a Studio (unbound). All of Gibson's bound electrics have "nibs" - "nibs" are the fret ends that are covered by the binding. It's one way to tell fakes, which rarely take this fact into account and mistakenly have the bare fret ends set over the binding. I guess you'll just have to stick to the very few unbound Gibson models or as you're doing, buy other brands.

Usually on a refret, the new frets are simply installed over the binding.

Thanks.

My Epi LP Standard Plus (now sold) didn't have those plastic nibs that I'm seeing in the OPs very detailed pics.

The only guit I now own with fingerboard binding is my Epi Wildkat- again, no plastic nibs.

Archived