Gibson Brands Forums

Voodoo Sparkle Drive or Boss Blues Driver

Andrew Riggs

Most guitarists I know own an OCD, including me.....Some use them a lot, some only at times......

Should it be your FIRST pedal ????? No........Get one later on............

I don't know anything about the Boss Blues Driver other than I don't want one, nor would I ever use one........

I have the Blues Driver. It's nice for what I use it for, which is to punch in a bit more gain. I don't notice any loss of clarity. I don't know anything about the sparkle drive, so can't really offer an opinion one way or another.

I'd say try hitting the local music store and trying out a few to see what you'd like. It oughta be fun, if nothing else :D!

I hear a lot about Fulltone and the OCD but I also hear people comparing the Hardwire Tube Overdrive to the Fulltone. Some are actually saying that they like it more. I have the Tube Overdrive as well as the Blues Driver.

I use the Tube Overdrive when I need that clean but gritty sound to it. The Blues Driver is similar to that pedal (IMO) but I think the Tube Overdrive has a bit darker of a tone which can be adjusted.

But these pedals I love... and these pedals I hate... Sometimes I'll get them just right and then the next minute they sound like garbage. I'm not trying to give you a good or negative look on these pedals but just go and try them out.

I think the Blues Driver may be a bit more clear though, and it can also be used as a good boost to support another distortion.

This will be your first pedal if I remember right....And you have a Vox tube amp....You'll really want to try out the pedals if possible first,

and preferably through a Vox amp.......I have enough pedals to know what to add to my collection without even hearing a sound clip.....

I also don't go to stores, ever.........

Ive become an od whore. I've got about ten of them now. I like the boss but ONLY if it has the keeley mod. But you don't have to get it done by keeley. JHS does the same mods but cheaper. But if you want one without mods then go voodoo I like there pedal more stock than the boss.

Same here, too much noise and hassle, not to mention if they even carry the pedal you want if it's not Boss, MXR or Digitech.

I just can't stand being preyed upon by seemingly every employee in the store. At guitar center anyway. They never leave one alone and I find it a thoroughly stressful experience whenever I go there.

I want a overdrive/distortion pedal that is going to give me a distorted sound with a clarity of the notes and chords. I find alot with them you get a muddy sound and the clarity is muddy. Also would the OCD be a good choice?

I think lets concentrate on THIS statement/question:

There is two thinks that seem to be going on in your "search" for an OD...One is what you are asking the OD to do, and the other is your lack of experience with OD pedals.

Getting certain level of distortion WILL by default reduce clarity of notes played together and especially chords of more than 3 tones played at the same time. That is the nature or distortion, in that it PRODUCES overtones that clash with each other when too many notes are involved. If you were to find an OD box that didn't have these tendancies, chances are it might not sound anything like what you want it to sound.

So, ONE part of the equation is that when using a particular distortion box, amp setting or OD box, a lot of what makes one have a sound of clarity or mud has to do with how the PLAYER plays it. In many cases, it isn't an automatic thing, but the player will adjust his playing to get the sound he wants from the effects or amp setting he is using.

The other part of this is what you are using the distortion effect for. Some use it for color. It could be compression you are after (bringing the single notes up to full volume). Some use it to fatten the sound, or some use it to pierce through.

BESIDES what the sound is for any given pedal, or what the "typical" sound made by a pedal is, there is the matter of what it does for your PLAYING or how you play it. 2 different players may use the same pedal for 2 different reasons. The "effect" a guy might be seeking is not only the sound, but what the pedal makes his set-up react and do for his playing.

So to start with, I think perhaps your first pedal (pedals) should be some very typical ones that you can practice with and get to know. Maybe it might be good to start hoarding a few used ones of various types before spending the bucks for the "ultimate" ones.

A tube screamer clone is a good place to start. The TS-7 series from Ibanez are extrememly cheap used, and sound every bit as good as the new TS-9's. Even the plastic ones are useful. The old BOSS DS-1 is also a pedal some love, and love to hate, but is a great example of a pedal that is typical of a certain sound and type you would want to know about and how it works in a rig.

I've got the Boss BD and it's perfect for I need....

a little extra sustain,

a little extra bite,

a little extra volume boost.

Then again I'm not a huge pedal guy. I like the tones I can dial in with just my amp and my guitar.

Other than my wah and my delay I don't have much use for anything else, unless of course I'm trying to imitate someone elses sound.

First, go to the store closest to you with the largest variety of pedals (leave your money at home).

Try several, in a rig as close in guitar and amp to what you have as you can. Experiment a bit with settings, see if you like anything you find, then come back here.

I'm still thinking Tube Screamer by the way. Musician's friend delivered for a hundred bucks, less if you wait for the right coupon.

And don't worry about not buying from the local guy. Unless you've got money to burn (didn't sound like it), you owe it to yourself to get the best deal you can. You'll save Sales tax at least, and maybe 20-30 percent by buying online. Never be afraid to ask them on the phone (the online Sellers) if they have any room in the price. Usually if you're not using a coupon, you can get them down at least a few bucks (10% +or- is common).

BTW, the OCD is great pedal. Not familiar with the Sparkle Drive, but what I've read here sounds nice.

Make as informed decision (by hearing some of them) as you can, better chance to avoid the pitfalls of buying/selling to end up where you want.

Archived