Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at two guitars

CoreyT

I have the 2012 '61 SG Reissue, a Fernandes Z03, and I am look at one of the following two guitars.

PRS SE Santana Electric Guitar SANTANA YELLOW

Ibanez RG 25TH Limited Edition

ToneKing gives the Ibanez a top score, and it has a very nice adjustable tremolo system.

Which if these two do you feel is the better quality?

I believe the PRS is made in Korea, and the Ibanez is made in Indonesia, not Japan like most of the Ibanez line.

Neither. I have played both PRS and Ibanez guitars and both do not feel right. I do not like the look of either one, too.

I guess the question for you is what type of hole in your arsenal are you trying to fill: metal shredder (neon Ibanez) or hard rock (fancy topped PRS)?

The PRS will be closer to what you already have than the Ibanez.

You could do worse than ask yourself this simple question; "Do I want a 'spare' / Backup for my SG or do I want something very different?"

P.

Mainly looking for something that is similar to the SG, and the PRS ones looks pretty close with its humbuckers.

I do not play live, I just play for myself in my home, and just looking for something to add to the collection that plays nice.

I have looked at Carvins California double cutaways too, but they are quite a bit more money.

Check out "Hello Music" on a daily basis.....Their prices are better than anywhere.........

One has to act fast though...........Daily deals go fast....Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, etc etc etc.........

Of the two, I'd say that pink Ibanez. It gives you something different than the SG and the pink is so hideous that it absolutely rules.

But I was in the same place as you and I went for a Tele and it was the best choice ever. It gives you a way different range of sounds and it's just an awesome guitar in general. I say get a Tele!

Two totally different guitars to have to deceide on.I bought the PRS Santana around X-mas and have been extremly happy since,If I had to compaire it to any other guitar it would be a double cut LP.Same sweet neck PU kind of woman crying tone or the bridge PU besides having a real nice open clean tone it can get a Carlos wailing tone with no problem.The neck is between a thicker 59 and a thinner 60 and it feels great,from what I've heard around the forums and reviews it's the best put together,flawless guitar in it's price range and again if you do like Santana it does him almost perfectly.

I couldnt afford the 25th anniv Ibanez so i had to by a used RG350 in the same yellow color but mine has a maple fretboard (thats what I wanted)and I want to change the tone and volume knobs and the switch tip to yellow.I did play The 25th its a monster for rock and metal described as a pedal to the medal machine and righfully so,what a ripper. )I'll most likely change the pickups in my rg350 to the NeckPU: DiMarzio® IBZ-N -- MiddlePU: DiMarzio® IBZ-S-- BridgePU: DiMarzio® IBZ-B that the 25th has mine are stock Ibanez pickups and lack a clairity the Dimarizo's in the 25 anniv have.Plus the Ibanez has what they call a wizard premium neck and it is a lot faster for me to get around on but some times I like the bit more bulk on my necks,It's a hard decision,sometimes I want to just pinch harmonics and make my bridge PU scream for speeding mercy so I'd odviously pick up my Ibanez,Sometimes i want to play some thick crying dripping blues so out comes my PRS Santana Oh Yea I didnt like the PRS Santana till last year when they made the shape the same as the USA model and put the birds on the fretboard.

Sorry I dont think I helped you any but it is a hard decision but depends on what kind of styles you play more of.

For $249.00 I think I did good for the Ibanez.

2834821910043544858S500x500Q85.jpg

Nice top on my PRS and I like the yellow best IMHO plus my old friend Mahogany body maple top.

2746269530043544858S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks guys.

I am leaning more towards the PRS one as I am not a lead player, more rhythm, and I really liked the sounds from the PRS one.

That is good to know the PRS one is pretty good quality.

Lately I have been listening to the new Dream Theater MP3 album, and JP can really play.

I see they have his model for fairly cheap at Amazon and Guitar Center.

http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/jp-guitars

Neither. I have played both PRS and Ibanez guitars and both do not feel right. I do not like the look of either one, too.

I guess the question for you is what type of hole in your arsenal are you trying to fill: metal shredder (neon Ibanez) or hard rock (fancy topped PRS)?

To you that is. I love PRS guitars. Love Ibanez too, but the only thing that puts me off (and prevents me from buying) from most of their "shredder" guitars is the use of basswood. I don't care for basswood as a tone wood at all. But others like it. And my favorite Ibanezs are the Iceman, Destroyer, Artist series, etc. The Fireman is cool too. I'd buy one, but it's so signature to Paul Gilbert that it wouldn't be good for me to use one. Not that PG is bad (I am a big fan), but that's like using a red/black/white striped Kramer.....

Have you ever played a PRS CE? Great guitars, but you probably wouldn't like them. Bolt on maple neck, and alder body w. maple top. Kind of their stripped down, basic model. They don't make those anymore, I don't think (it is NOT the same thing as a Swamp Ash Special!). A friend owns a 91' CE 24 with a 94' neck, and it sings. Lots of tone options. Not really as fancy as the other PRSs, which is a good thing.

I am leaning towards the PRS Santana SE in gold.

Guitar Center has them, but I found a smaller music store the same distance from my home that is a long time PRS dealer.

http://www.asharpmusicco.com/electrics/prs.html

They do not list the SE models on their site, so I will call them today when they open up to see if they have them.

If they do, I will stop by this weekend maybe to check it out, and also see if they can out the Planet Waves Locking Tuners on it like I bought for my SG that cut the strings for you too when you turn the tuner.

Still waiting to put them on the SG.

Guitar Center is having a 15% off sale starting the 28th through the 4th of July, but I decided to check out a local music store that is about the same distance from me as GC is.

This store is also a huge PRS dealer, bigger than GC actually.

I decided to go with him, as I get two free tuneups down the road where they completely go through the guitar and set up everything.

They had the yellow Santana SE model in stock, but I want the orange one, so it is being shipped from the US factory to his store.

I should have it maybe by next weekend.

Also getting the Planet Waves Autotrim tuners put on it, as well as Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9 to 42.

Back to the guitar, I dig it.

I was a little worried as I had read it has a wide and thick neck, but I found the neck to be similar to the thin 60s neck on my 2012 SG '61 Reissue.

It may be thicker, but I can say that it played very nice in the short time I was able to play it.

Went there on my lunch break yesterday.

He explained to me that they setup every guitar they sell, they do not send them out the door like Guitar Center does.

I will be taking my SG there later too to get the Autotrim tuners put on it, and have the whole thing checked out and setup correctly.

They have an excellent staff there too that teach guitar, so I may inquire as I want to learn some Hendrix and also get better at AC/DC :D

I am just to rusty after taking a 30 year break from this.

One of the teachers there specializes in Hendrix and old rock like AC/DC and others.

Will be looking for a hardshell case for this too, as it only comes with a gig bag.

They sure had some nice $4K + PRS's hanging on the wall, very nice guitars.

They use to be a Gibson dealer, but something about a huge fee they are charging now to be a dealer got him out from selling them a few years back.

Something like $80K a year to be a dealer for them that they have to pay.

He said screw that...

If I was given the choice between the PRS and the Ibanez,I would go for the PRS,firstly for their build quality and secondly,it would be more in line with the genres of music I play.I don't go for the modern locking type vibrato systems either but guitar choice is purely subjective and you have to take into account which guitar would fit your playing style better.The Santana guitar is just great for playing blues and getting the lovely "weeping"or"woman" tone that so many players desire and that's another thing that sells me on it.

I own a very very nice modified Ibanez, I like it very much. I also own 3 PRSs and like each of them even better. 2 SEs SC and a mind blowing HB II special order.

I would go with the PRS, but the Ibanez aint no slouch either.

For the record: Big fan of Gibsons too, I have 3 Lps and 4 acoustics.

Aside: if you can find a classic custom LP, I would recommend that over either PRS or Ibanez.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just called the shop, and it was shipped yesterday ground from New York to Washington state.

Store says sometime next week, I am hoping before the 4th of July, but if not, perhaps Thursday or Friday.

I was hoping by this Friday, but oh well.

This shop will set it all up for me too unlike how Guitar Center just sends them out without doing any adjustments to them.

The Planet Waves Autotrim tuners should be showing up this week, so they will have them waiting to be installed when the Santana shows up.

Found another cool video of a guy playing the SE Santana, and he is using the same Carvin V3M amp I have.

I had to freeze the video and get a screen shot of channel two he was using so I can set my amp the same way to see if I can get the same tone.

Been reading up more on this guitar too, and many like the stock pickups, no need to change them out for anything better.

To bad I can not understand what he is saying though...

Here is another good video too with it stating out clean, then later he rips off some awsome riffs.

Wish I could play that good :D

Archived