Gibson Brands Forums

Warning to any touring musicians working in the Midlands/North England.

ChristianS

Following on from my post regarding New Model Army's stolen LPs and other guitars:-

It seems that there are professional gang(s) of thieves operating in the Midlands and North of England. They seem to appear to be following bands from venues, then emptying their tour-vans overnight. New Model Army are pretty confident they are pros, as all their instruments were hidden in the van, the their van was basically emptied from a hotel car-park, several miles from the venue they had played. There seems to be a recent spat of several bands being targetted and so far, no equipment is turning-up, which suggests the equipment is possibly being sold to a ready-made market abroad.

IF you have to leave your equipment overnight, please make sure you are parked under CCTV cameras and remove as much equipment (certainly valuable, sentimental stuff), as you can.

Yes, their's (NMA and the other bands, including Mogwai's) equipment was insured but as Justin Sullivan from NMA pointed out, "It was like losing our best friends."

Please don't let this happen to you!

Following on from my post regarding New Model Army's stolen LPs and other guitars:-

It seems that there are professional gang(s) of thieves operating in the Midlands and North of England. They seem to appear to be following bands from venues, then emptying their tour-vans overnight. New Model Army are pretty confident they are pros, as all their instruments were hidden in the van, the their van was basically emptied from a hotel car-park, several miles from the venue they had played. There seems to be a recent spat of several bands being targetted and so far, no equipment is turning-up, which suggests the equipment is possibly being sold to a ready-made market abroad.

IF you have to leave your equipment overnight, please make sure you are parked under CCTV cameras and remove as much equipment (certainly valuable, sentimental stuff), as you can.

Yes, their's (NMA and the other bands, including Mogwai's) equipment was insured but as Justin Sullivan from NMA pointed out, "It was like losing our best friends."

Please don't let this happen to you!

Thanks for the PSA, I really do hope they are able to recover some of their gear. I think more people will be carrying their portable equipment into the room with them. I do the same if I am travelling or carrying stuff like that with me, just park it in the room next to me. Not feasible for everything, but heck at least my Les Paul or Stratocaster would be sleeping nearby.

Archived