Gibson Brands Forums

Hacking on a 2008 Gibson SG Special

Searcy

Really

Ok kids, I ordered one of these today with plans to install it on my Faded SG Special. Ordering it was not easy as the StetsBar site seemed to not be able to verify my card. I ended up ordering it with PayPal.

Total p[rice for the Stop Bar system in chrome was $229. With shipping it was $249USD.

http://stetsbar.com/

https://stetsbar.com/documents/Instructions.stop.tail.USA.pdf

AN-SB-Med.jpg

28797aaf-cfb4-4153-8891-a349744c1490.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so close to buying one for my SG or my Firebird..... but now I can wait and see how you get on before I push the button.

Excellent.

If you give this product the thumbs up, I bet there is going to be a surge in orders from forum members..... you might want to negotiate some kind of commission arrangement with Stetsbar.... ;-)

The reason I paid full price and didn't hit them of for a review discount is so I can be straight about it. If anything sucks you'll see it here. [thumbup]

I like that! Integrity, honesty and tell it like it is!!

Good man!!

I don't expect it to have Rock solid tuning without some work on the nut. I have a friend with an XOX guitar that has one of these and Planet Waves locking tuners that he says is rock solid.

Well see. I'm betting it will need locking tuners too but I'll buy those when I need them.

I tried a guitar with one, and it didnt stay in tune worth a hoot [thumbdn] ... It needs fine tuners and a locking nut

I ran into that issue when I first installed the bigsby on my Junior.

I switched to Sperzels, problem solved.

I understand that the stetsbar has more throw so therefore probably would have more of an issue in that regard.

it will be interesting to see the end results, looking forward to the report on it, I have been very intrigued by these since I first heard about them.

There's ways to keep em' in tune with regular tuners.

My remedies:

1. My ultra-wizard of a technician

2. Pencil shavings

3. Fewer wraps on the tuning machines.

I have my ways. My stock MIM Strat stayed in tune throughout a three-hour show due to a great setup from my wizard tech.

First impressions.

IMG_20120710_012411.jpg

IMG_20120710_012655.jpg

1. Man, this thing is really light. I'm not sure it isn't aluminum.

2. Instructions seem good but I have already found an issue with mounting this on my SG. Do you notice anything different about the SG on the front of the instruction book?

Here's a clue.

IMG_20120710_093650.jpg

Still don't see it? Ok, I'll tell ya. The instructions say that the StetsBar needs to sit flat on the guitar top. This mean the pick guard will need to be cut out to accommodate the base plate of the StetsBar.

IMG_20120710_090333.jpg

I have two other guitars that the StetsBar would bolt straight too but I was really wanting to try it on the SG which is set up for 9's. I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't more clearly pointed out on the web site.

... The instructions say that the StetsBar needs to sit flat on the guitar top. This mean the pick guard will need to be cut out to accommodate the base plate of the StetsBar. ... I have two other guitars that the StetsBar would bolt straight too but I was really wanting to try it on the SG which is set up for 9's. I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't more clearly pointed out on the web site.

Bummer about the pickguard.

They definitely should've included that info on the website.

Yep, yep, Lucky for me I have 3 more of these so I'll just try my hand at cutting down the chrome plated pick guard.

Step one: Remove the original Gibson Stop Bar and TOM bridge.

Save all the parts so you can put them back if you ever decide to sell your guitar or if you decide the StetsBar ain't for you. It happens...

IMG_20120710_103747.jpg

IMG_20120710_103841.jpg

Step Two: Mark out where pick guard needs to be cut.

The instructions state that the stats bar MUST lay flat on the top of the guitar or there will be problems with high action. This means the pick guard will need to be clearanced around the TOM studs. I temporarily installed the StetsBar and used a fine point marker to trace where the pick guard will need to be cut away.

IMG_20120710_104614.jpg

IMG_20120710_105012.jpg

Problem #1: One of the supplied button head mounting screws has some rough thread and will not screw into the stock bushing. Forcing it would ruin the bushing. I am 100% sure that Eric Stets would send me a new one but I have thread cutting dies and will just chase the threads out myself instead of waiting.

Step Three: Remove the pick guard.

Remove the 11 screws that hold the pick guard on and the 4 pickup height adjustment screws so you can do some chopping on the guard.

IMG_20120710_105650.jpg

IMG_20120710_105827.jpg

I have seen some reports that guys had to grind down the TOM bushings in order to get the StetsBar to lay flat against the top of the guitar. Perhaps this was an issue with the original StetsBar but this StartsBar Pro II has reliefs made into the bottom of the base that more than accommodate the TOM bushings.

IMG_20120710_105901.jpg

Archived