Gibson Brands Forums

Playing position when standing

Rabs

So this is something I have always wondered about..

The up to the chin players...

I mean, whats that all about? Take George Harrison, he played it high and Mark King plays bass almost near his face. I cant think of any other examples at the moment but I have seen higher :)

Then you get people like Slash and Jimmy Page who are the gun slingers and wear their guitars almsot as low as possible..

Now ive tried that and it didnt work for me.. Do they just do it to look cool? Is there some method in the maddness?

Slash_in_2008.jpg

037_image_0.jpg

I myself as you can see from my avatar am right in the middle (maybe slightly lower than most).. I do that cos I tried a few positions and that where my arms fealt at ease not having to hold them in that position but they sit there naturally..

Also out of interest, I found an old video of my in my band when I was about 18/19.. Its poor quality but it seems as if my playing postion has stayed pretty much the same (that was 20 years ago :))

And check out my long hair and Metallica T-Shirt :D.. that was also my first Gibson, a 1992 wine red Stuido playing through the studios JCM 800 .. Ahh the good old days :)

Image4-1.jpg

So where do you play it.. are you a chinner or a gun slinger? And why?

Gun slinger. I wear it low, but not TOO low. I still, to this day, don't know how Steve Clark (of Def Leppard. High And Dry is one of my favorites!) did it. He deserves an award for that!

It's not comfortable to wear it above the belt, so to speak. (Angus Young/EVH height). Sometimes I have to, though, when I'm playing really intricate stuff (some EVH stuff is impossible to play if the guitar is too low...). I would say I wear it almost in the Zakk Wylde/Michael Schenker/Ace Frehley/Randy Rhoads/Doug Aldrich/Brian Robertson area. It's not super low, but it still has that "rock" look to it.....(which doesn't matter to me)....

I think having the guitar low is more about looking cool than playing. It seems to me that the higher, the better as far as being able to play comfortably. There's nothing wrong with trying to look cool, but I wonder how much less sloppy Page would have been with the guitar up a little higher.

I like to play my guitar as low as I can, having my arms up in the air is actually counterproductive to me with the neck issues I have.

Having said that, the neck profile of a guitar dictates how low/high I set the strap,

My Explorer can hang the lowest because of its super flat neck profile, there is no point on setting it high, there is no meat on the neck to grab. (if I was a betting man I'd say that is why Page can play his that low)

My SG has a rounded thicker neck and there is just no way I could hang it low. My Les Pauls fall somewhere in between.

I want it the same whether I'm sitting or standing so - up high. Also look at how far you have to curl your left wrist around when gunslinging....I can't do that and play properly. Looks good though.

I've actually been thinking about and experimenting with this for a few days now, and I found I've been hanging it too low.

In my experience the position of your picking hand is a good guide line, From right at your belly button to right at your genitals.

Higher is better for left hand technique, and lower can be better for fast right hand picking (easier on the shoulder).

Also the weight, balance, size and neck profile of the guitar matters too.

Strats and other lighter guitars feel good higher up, while a heavy les paul with a thick neck feels more comfortable resting between your thighs, but extreme lows like Slash and Jimmy Page is just posing.

With big guitars like an ES-175 or acoustics you have to find the right position to be able to reach around in comfortably.

Having your picking hand right in between your belly button and your groin might just be the sweet spot.

I want it the same whether I'm sitting or standing so - up high. Also look at how far you have to curl your left wrist around when gunslinging....I can't do that and play properly. Looks good though.

Right there with ya!

Saw Sonny Landreth in Jimmy Buffet's band a couple years ago and he had that baby up high like George. Don't see how you can play "gunslinger"... [confused]

Well... I dug around... this is last fall at a cowboy music, poetry and art show in metropolitan Alzada, Montana.

I guess you'd say it's relatively high. I was doing a fingerpicking backup for vocal in the pix, but... it's close enough to how I carried most any guitar, full hollow, flattop, semi or solid body playing rock or country, too. Each instrument has a different geometry, so my carrying it would generally be to get pretty much this sort of geometry.

Usually if I'm getting fancy by my level of ability, I tend to sit and play in something of a combination of classical and flamenco positioning.

Standing... it's about the same set of angles. But I don't care to have the guitar just dangling there held with apparent control only by my left hand. So note the right elbow and arm kinda cradle the thing so my left hand is pretty loose and the right hand is pretty much not moving whether I'm fingerpicking or flatpicking.

m

Very high. A few inches below my chin, much like the classical position. I keep my thumb behind the neck at all times so it just feels more natural to have it high. I also like to keep the pick as parallel to the strings as possible, so it helps in that regard as well.

I angle my guitar upward much more than most guitar players. The headstock is often above my head.

Hello! Just bought a very nice hungarian saddle-leather strap and a pair of Dunlop locks for my Classic Custom. I always played seated, now tried it standing. With the guitar above hip puts much less pressure on the fretting hand, but painful for the shoulders. After a half an hour I decided to lower it to position "between thighs". Not so good for the left hand, but the guitar doesn't seems too heavy. Cheers... Bence

The entire neck has to be easily reachable for me and for that, I need it relatively high. (see avatar) Much less stress on the wrist, and I think you will play better with the proper wrist angle. For me, just gives my fretting hand more room to move around. if it looks dorky, I really could care less

I think most people like to play with their elbows bent at about ninety degrees. That seems pretty universal except for the low slingers.

Low slinging isn't about playing. It's about style. I don't think you're going to find many good teachers who say otherwise.

Another thing is - people's hands are stronger and more agile when they're close to the body and when the elbows are at 90 degrees. Hands work best when they're right near your breastbone. So it's natural to develop a technique where your hands are high and close to your body.

I think I'm a 90 degree guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZHWDkn1-Ck

I adjust my strap so that it allows the guitar to rest on my leg while sitting, so now the guitar is the same distance sitting or standing. Having it a little higher allows me to grab notes and chords from a better angle- too low and fingers lay too flat on the fretboard. I wear a strap sitting or standing.

I tend to take the seated classical position...one school of thought's ideal...

Then replicate standing up

So high a la George Harrison and many more

I like to have a relaxed fretting wrist angle without strain (which happens when I sling lower)

V

:-({|=

Archived