Gibson Brands Forums

Height of the stop tail piece on a 1961 Gibson SG Re-issue

newk0001

Hey everyone, I just wanted a little bit of insight on how high up off the body of the guitar my stop tail piece should be. I've heard/read several different things online about how you get more sustain supposedly if it is close to the body and less sustain the higher it is. I haven't really noticed but "they" also said that the guitar is easier to play when the stop tail piece is further away from the body. Is this bull**** or is there any difference at all as far as the height of this thing? Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading any information that you folks are kind enough to pass along to me.

Hey everyone, I just wanted a little bit of insight on how high up off the body of the guitar my stop tail piece should be. I've heard/read several different things online about how you get more sustain supposedly if it is close to the body and less sustain the higher it is. I haven't really noticed but "they" also said that the guitar is easier to play when the stop tail piece is further away from the body. Is this bull**** or is there any difference at all as far as the height of this thing? Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading any information that you folks are kind enough to pass along to me.

I've gone completely off the wall and, because I liked it on my LP, screwed the stop-tail right down and "top-wrapped" the strings. Scandalous admission I know, but it works OK for me. You can just see this in the pic below:

2007SGStdw3sc.jpg

The stopbar sets string tension on the bridge saddles. If the stopbar is not far enough down, the strings can slip off of the saddles, but you do not want to have the stopbar down so low that the strings touch the back side of the bridge. They should only touch the saddles. Personally, I found that swapping out the stock stopbar for a Gibson TP-6 fine-tuning tailpiece gives me more sustain from my SG and gives the added benefit of being able to fine-tune each string.

I've gone completely off the wall and, because I liked it on my LP, screwed the stop-tail right down and "top-wrapped" the strings. Scandalous admission I know, but it works OK for me. You can just see this in the pic below:

2007SGStdw3sc.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. I'm always amazed at just how simple these things turn out to be after I get a direct answer from someone who knows what they're talking about. I made the adjustment and it plays great now. Anyways, thanks again for the info guys and happy playing!

• 2 weeks later...

I found that swapping out the stock stopbar for a Gibson TP-6 fine-tuning tailpiece gives me more sustain from my SG and gives the added benefit of being able to fine-tune each string.

I put a TP-6 on a Flying-V and noticed increased sustain.

GALLERY_GIT0001875-000_1_images390.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived