Gibson Brands Forums

Whats on your possibilities list..?

merseybeat1963

I am curious...what is on your list of possible guitars that you will consider ,or are thinking might be a guitar you would like to buy next?

I have lived with such a list all my life..

While my wife is enjoying the flowers in peoples gardens in Mt Holly Im looking at the garden with a guitar in the center of that garden or it bouncing around my head..

Anyway now that Ive got a good Huss & Dalton..and it seems it is unlikely Martin is going to be sold as originally planned (what do you know, it just needed to be played to open up & sound good)..

I now have 4 acoustic guitars..Yeech!

And as one of our pretty strict Muslim customers at the Deli once said after eating my wifes BBQ Ribs.. " What the hell, now that Ive eaten Pork, I might as well have a beer too.."

In my mind,but distant from my pocket now..I would like to try the Gibson L5 Reissue 1934 Acoustic Archtop( used)...or another Lowden but with a cutaway,short scale & maybe Cuban Mah....or that used Gibson J200 Vine in Japan,if price came down a lot.

What do you think?

The more, the merrier. My next one will be an SJ, either vintage or modern. I need another guitar like a hole in the head, although I "only" have seven acoustics right now. I really should thin the herd of those I don't play, but each one is different, and it's so hard to let go......

Have to say since I got my long lusted for HB TV I've not felt any GAS and such thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Maybe when my fingerpickin journey gets more intense a nice Gibson OO could be on the card like a Keb Mo , but that's a long way away as I'm enjoying the pickin abilities of my current stable.

Good topic – a possibility to let thoughts hang out. It becomes more and more clear to me that there one move left on my program.

It has been a pretty intense trip these recent years with many guitars involved, but now the scene is turning towards thinning out.

What I need to do though, is to bring a Custom Firebird inside the temple. It's obvious that I want one maple guitar in the herd and it would either be the 1996 Dove I purchased this for-summer or the right FB. Of course a J-200 couldn't be out-counted, but for reason I can't put words on, the time for that isn't now. So next moves will be to sell about 3 guitars and eventually find the Firebird. Then A/B those 2 deers of maple for a serious period (approx. 6 month) and pick the ace. From then on things will begin to ease down and further reduction might even come up.

Confess the idea of investigating the 200's at some point isn't unrealistic – but out in the future when everything's calm it'll be.

At the other hand one wouldn't be able to handle such a giant if too old huh. . . .

My wife says first I gotta learn to play! [biggrin] I have an odd number of guitars right now, and I keep tellin' her that is a bad omen, but she says sell one, and I say buy one... and so the circle goes. I would really like a nice Southern Jumbo, or a short-scale AJ. Someday...

I'm unlikely to be able to afford to buy another new Gibson for a long, long time unless my circumstances change or the prices in the UK come down somewhat. I know it's tied up with import taxes etc but I can't justify dropping £1750 on a J45 or £2850 on an SJ200.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Gibson player through and through-cut me and I bleed Gibson-but I think the UK prices have pushed new Gibson acoustics out of the reach of working musicians and into the rarefied world of wealthy collectors and hobbyists. Not that I'm criticising collectors or hobbyists at all, but anyone on a working musician's wage just couldn't afford to buy a new Gibson.

I was lucky to amass a small collection of new and vintage Gibsons whilst signed to Sony BMG in 2008, and, sadly, have gradually had to part with the majority of them as my job description changed back from "major label artist" to "working musician". At one point, my collection amounted to an SJ200, Dove, Hummingbird (the full triumvirate of art-guard masterpieces), J45,C J165, B15 as well as a Martin OM18V and more.

Those were great days. I love my AJ, playing it truly feels like drinking champagne on a beer budget, but I can't see anything bar an Epiphone or two in the future unless I have a drastic career turnaround!

Still, my theoretical "to buy" list would include:

A truly great Dove

Maple J45

Maple AJ

SJ200 Ray Whitley

Maple Nick Lucas

I'm unlikely to be able to afford to buy another new Gibson for a long, long time unless my circumstances change or the prices in the UK come down somewhat. I know it's tied up with import taxes etc but I can't justify dropping £1750 on a J45 or £2850 on an SJ200.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Gibson player through and through-cut me and I bleed Gibson-but I think the UK prices have pushed new Gibson acoustics out of the reach of working musicians and into the rarefied world of wealthy collectors and hobbyists. Not that I'm criticising collectors or hobbyists at all, but anyone on a working musician's wage just couldn't afford to buy a new Gibson.

I was lucky to amass a small collection of new and vintage Gibsons whilst signed to Sony BMG in 2008, and, sadly, have gradually had to part with the majority of them as my job description changed back from "major label artist" to "working musician". At one point, my collection amounted to an SJ200, Dove, Hummingbird (the full triumvirate of art-guard masterpieces), J45,C J165, B15 as well as a Martin OM18V and more.

Those were great days. I love my AJ, playing it truly feels like drinking champagne on a beer budget, but I can't see anything bar an Epiphone or two in the future unless I have a drastic career turnaround!

A truly great Dove

Maple J45

Maple AJ

SJ200 Ray Whitley

Maple Nick Lucas

If anyone deserves a bunch of Gibsons I'd nominate you mate.I've come across your work through this forum.You are a great talent.I've also enjoyed some of your descriptive posts on your various guitars.I nearly bought a Bluesking once on the strength of your post on the same.Love your work.Hang in there!

Hate to be dull but I'm pretty happy with what I have and I feel quite fortuneate to have them. Although someday perhaps there's a Martin D45 or perhaps a Gibson J200, J45 Legend or Jackson Brown. Dunno. Not currently lusting but in the last year there was a lot of swapping and upgrading. In the last 2 months I got the Sparrow and then 2 weeks later bought that 20 year old D41. I hear GAS is like herpes though - once you get it you have it for life so I expect I'll be in the market again someday. [biggrin]

Good topic – a possibility to let thoughts hang out. It becomes more and more clear to me that there one move left on my program.

It has been a pretty intense trip these recent years with many guitars involved, but now the scene is turning towards thinning out.

What I need to do though, is to bring a Custom Firebird inside the temple. It's obvious that I want one maple guitar in the herd and it would either be the 1996 Dove I purchased this for-summer or the right FB. Of course a J-200 couldn't be out-counted, but for reason I can't put words on, the time for that isn't now. So next moves will be to sell about 3 guitars and eventually find the Firebird. Then A/B those 2 deers of maple for a serious period (approx. 6 month) and pick the ace. From then on things will begin to ease down and further reduction might even come up.

Confess the idea of investigating the 200's at some point isn't unrealistic – but out in the future when everything's calm it'll be.

At the other hand one wouldn't be able to handle such a giant if too old huh. . . .

The Bozeman Doves Ive tried have been quite good sounding guitars.

Concerning handling the J200..

I usually play & prefer electrics with slinky strings..so 4 acoustics is a lot for me..and my damn arms getting tired lately as I rake away justifying these acoustics,which gave me the idea that an acoustic with a long scale neck is gonna be unusable eventually..as Im older..soon.

The little Lowden is really like an electric,which is why I consdered dropping everything else...but I was watching a video of this really old bald bloke yesterday smokin on a cello doing Bach putting a hell of an effort..so Im figuring its not the age..Im just weak.

My wife says first I gotta learn to play! [biggrin] I have an odd number of guitars right now, and I keep tellin' her that is a bad omen, but she says sell one, and I say buy one... and so the circle goes. I would really like a nice Southern Jumbo, or a short-scale AJ. Someday...

Compromise, let her pick the next one : )

A truly great Dove

Maple J45

Maple AJ

SJ200 Ray Whitley

Maple Nick Lucas

Ooo! You want REALLY good stuff.

The more, the merrier. My next one will be an SJ, either vintage or modern. I need another guitar like a hole in the head, although I "only" have seven acoustics right now. I really should thin the herd of those I don't play, but each one is different, and it's so hard to let go......

Oh no..that "I should sell one cause I aint playin em "can only be solved by one thing..buying another guitar : )

I've been reading a lot on AJs lately. Have a friend who just got one from Guitar Center with a red spruce top. A gorgeous instrument and it plays like butter. Megawatts of volumn. Real, real sweet. He said it's a special run for Musicians Friend/GC. ........Strange how this guitar stuff goes. I had the hots for a CJ165 for quite a while, but now I got this Epi Pr5 for my birthday and the fever for the 165 has cooled. I like the Epi and I'll likely keep it, but I think I've come to the conclusion that I want the big guitars. I know the 165 is a deeper body than the PR5, but I find myself preferring the larger instruments. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into a 165 or other smaller body along the line, but right now I really think I'll go for a dread, jumbo, super jumbo size instead. I've got my stash up to over 3000 and waiting to see what interest me. Could go new, but used can get my interest too. I think the good thing is that the money is not burning the proverbial hole in my pocket right now. I'm just kind of patiently waiting. Kind of.

Also am interested in maybe buying an acoustic arch top. I've played a Loar arch top and thought it was real nice. That would leave me lots of money left over for other instruments....just what I need...lol....who the hell knows?...lol...but it's sure fun.

No real possibilities — at this point I'm done with buying guitars. I already own more guitars than a sane person could justify and I can't imagine trading away any of the guitars that I've spent so much time running down.

Looking at this question a different way, I've had a few "possibilities" on my list for decades. I always wanted to find a great J-45. After playing countless examples, I finally found one I simply couldn't resist back in 2008. I've also lusted after an Advanced Jumbo for almost as long and found one that won me over in 2009. The other Gibson that had long been on my possibility list was a maple J-185. I've played a few of them over the years, but never found one that really knocked my socks off. However, I did run across a great maple AJ and earlier this year I was able to arrange a trade for it. So now I've got the maple side of things covered.

Pursuing a guitar can be a lot of fun and definitely exciting. After obtaining some fine examples of the models I've most lusted after over the years, I'm okay with simply living vicariously through others.

No real possibilities — at this point I'm done with buying guitars. I already own more guitars than a sane person could justify and I can't imagine trading away any of the guitars that I've spent so much time running down.

Looking at this question a different way, I've had a few "possibilities" on my list for decades. I always wanted to find a great J-45. After playing countless examples, I finally found one I simply couldn't resist back in 2008. I've also lusted after an Advanced Jumbo for almost as long and found one that won me over in 2009. The other Gibson that had long been on my possibility list was a maple J-185. I've played a few of them over the years, but never found one that really knocked my socks off. However, I did run across a great maple AJ and earlier this year I was able to arrange a trade for it. So now I've got the maple side of things covered.

Pursuing a guitar can be a lot of fun and definitely exciting. After obtaining some fine examples of the models I've most lusted after over the years, I'm okay with simply living vicariously through others.

There was a J185 Vine with Quilted Maple on the Gibson trading post here that looked like a lot of guitar for the money.

Still ..it seems when you come across something really exceptional your goin for it. : )

I've been reading a lot on AJs lately. Have a friend who just got one from Guitar Center with a red spruce top. A gorgeous instrument and it plays like butter. Megawatts of volumn. Real, real sweet. He said it's a special run for Musicians Friend/GC. ........Strange how this guitar stuff goes. I had the hots for a CJ165 for quite a while, but now I got this Epi Pr5 for my birthday and the fever for the 165 has cooled. I like the Epi and I'll likely keep it, but I think I've come to the conclusion that I want the big guitars. I know the 165 is a deeper body than the PR5, but I find myself preferring the larger instruments. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into a 165 or other smaller body along the line, but right now I really think I'll go for a dread, jumbo, super jumbo size instead. I've got my stash up to over 3000 and waiting to see what interest me. Could go new, but used can get my interest too. I think the good thing is that the money is not burning the proverbial hole in my pocket right now. I'm just kind of patiently waiting. Kind of.

Also am interested in maybe buying an acoustic arch top. I've played a Loar arch top and thought it was real nice. That would leave me lots of money left over for other instruments....just what I need...lol....who the hell knows?...lol...but it's sure fun.

When you know what you are looking for as far as possible problems that a guitar might have, buying used from a person is where you can usually get a lot better value.

Contradictory to this,this time I bought from a nice shoppe in Arizona (Acoustic Vibes) which really specialize in Acoustic instruments and the owner was very kind & gave me a very good price on this H&D Brazilian Slope Shoulder.

And even more worth it was his honesty in evaluating the guitars I was considering. There is a real benefit to buying in a place like this over a Guitar Center.

If one for example must have a Martin, its good to have all those great handmade small workshoppe guitars to try & get a Martin that is as good sounding to one of the workshoppe guitars as possible.

Or as in my case a person who believed all his life that "Martin was the best".. Trying these other makers proved to me otherwise.

Happy shopping.

There was a J185 Vine with Quilted Maple on the Gibson trading post here that looked like a lot of guitar for the money.

Still ..it seems when you come across something really exceptional your goin for it. : )

The Vine guitars are too over the top for my tastes. After picking up the maple AJ, it would take a truly exceptional sounding J-185 to capture my interest. If I happen to run across examples to try, I'll gladly play them. But I won't be actively pursuing them, which is fine by me. The longer I've played guitar, the more particular I've become about the instruments I've been willing to purchase. I've honestly accumulated more than enough guitars and yet each one stands out in its own unique way. I just need to make sure that they all get played enough to make them worthwhile. Otherwise I can't see the point in hanging on to them.

with 4 acoustics - all fantastic instruments, I can't ever see myself looking down the details of buying another, - that said, I do think I would totally DIG a J200. Just wont be pondering how to come up with the $3k required to own it, then again - there's the ones with the 12 strings on them...... uh-oh......

Changed my mind. I have 4 Gibson acoustics and two Lps. I went through 4 Martins last year trading up and eventually ending up with a PRS Hollowbody electric, its a keeper.

But I always wanted a "good" sounding Martin or Guild short scale , small body. Well I found the Martin that really spoke to me, but I can't justfy the money at this time. I found a Martin 00-18, mahogany sides and back, sitka top, short scale, It played like a dream and actually reminded me of a Gibson "tone". Very ergonomical.

Problem is I have way too many guitars and I am loathe to trade any of them.

Archived