Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Midtown Standard

CowboyBillyBob1

So I went to Guitar Center to buy an Epiphone Dot or similarly priced semi-hollow body guitar. I’ve never owned one and for the asking price of $399 USD minus a 15% discount coupon I figured why not. I got the very nice salesman to set me up in the high end amp room so I could have a little peace and quiet. He brought me over the Dot and it really did not cut it, even at that low price. He brought over other similar Epi’s and I just did not like them. I am used to owning and playing higher end guitars from Gibson, Fender, and Martin. The exception being a Squire 50’s Vibe Tele which is an amazing instrument.

In any case he brings in a Gibson ES-339. It was nice but about 4X as much as I wanted to spend. Besides the guitar did not blow me away. When he comes back in the room to see how I was doing (nice guy, no pressure and lets me play them a long time). I told him it is way more than I wanted to spend and was just about done when he tells me he has a guitar that kind of bridges the gap between 339’s and 335’s with the low end Epiphones. He comes back with a Gibson Midtown Standard in Ebony with a Bigsby. I was struck by its looks right away; Black with white bindings, pickup rings, and speed knobs. Sort of like a tuxedo.

I plug in and am amazed at how well it sounded and played. I was smitten. I liked the Master Volume and Tone knobs. I’ve never owned a Bigsby equipped guitar before and I loved the sweet vibrato. Roller TOM locking bridge to keep it in tune. Classic ’57 and Classic ’57 + in the bridge position. All in all very nice guitar. I got 15% off the sticker price so out the door with case it was $1190 USD. Still more than I wanted to spend but I fell in love with it. I cursed out the salesman for showing me this beautiful guitar and told him I would take it! Really a great sales guy at this Guitar Center in Naugatuck CT.

When I got it home I did what I always do with a new guitar, change the strings. I put .09 Ernie Ball Cobalt’s on and adjusted the truss rod a slight bit to compensate for the .10’s that were on it. I fine-tuned the intonation with a strobe tuner and this is the most amazing feeling and sounding guitar. No buzz or dead spots just….perfect.

By the way I never restrung a Bigsby but it took me 3hours to make that happen. There must be a better way than what I was doing. You have to get the hole from the ball end to be inserted on a small metal screw thing and of course it has to go over the top and then under a rod and then over the bridge. When tuning to pitch you need to keep tension on the string so the ball end does not slip off. It was almost a two man job. Ha-ha.

In any case I will post some pics when I can and if anyone is looking for this type of guitar do yourself a favor and check this one out.

I finally figured out how to easily change strings on a Bigsby... use a capo to hold the string while tuning up to pitch. A Keyser seems to work best because of its open ended design. Duh!!

Dare I say that this Midtown has made me put my 2012 LP Standard in the back seat? Perhaps it's just the honeymoon but the LP is only a bit more than 3 months old.

Congratulations on the new guitar. I am glad to hear good reviews on the MIdtowns. I have a 356 and a 336 and I like that style of guitar.

That black with a bigsby looks fantastic. I picked up a Les Paul with a bigsby and I know what you mean about the first string change on one of them. It does get easier and faster. Someone already mentioned using a Capo and that does help a lot, serves as that third hand that you feel you need.

In April of this year I purchased a 2012 LP Standard. The Midtown Standard in ebony and Bigsby I got a few weeks ago. I am in guitar paradise! Keep switching betwen the two all day, unemployed since March. I also have a Martin HD 28V I bought like 5 months ago. That guitar is an amazing acoustic that is just habit forming.

They all do diferent things but what they all do is inspiring in their own way. If I could only chose one it would be the LP. Stil a heartbreak to leave the others behind.

• 3 months later...

Archived