Gibson Brands Forums

big let down

nickjwill

Sent out my 1931 Gibson L-1 for a restoration. Needed a new top, bridge fret board and numerous cracks repaired. Came back yesterday after 2 months. Maybe I'm being nit picky but there are a few issues, mostly cosmetic, that are very disappointing.

1. 3 big sags in the finish

2. Tiny bubbles in the finish on the head stock

3. Big gouge thru the finish below & parallel to the bridge and under the finish above bridge

4. Numerous small dings & dents on new top under finish

5. Big gouge in fret board under & parallel to 12th fret

6 Fret ends sharp, Nut edges sharp, also appears no attempt was made at setting it up, just threw some strings on

The more I look the more I find. I sent out an email yesterday detailing my concerns. No reply yet.

Any advice will be appreciated

027-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

019-3.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing "nitpicky" about this. Restoration of a guitar might have some finish issues because of existing surfaces, but this was a new top? The marks near the bridge, on the fretboard, and the bubbly finish on the headstock seem to be extremely amateurish. I'd be screamin'.

I paid Fox Guitars in Lowell MA. $1300. I found him on this forum.

No doubt it is better than before but if I could do it all over again............

I kind of thought I recognized that burst from somewhere else.....

Sanded the bottom of the nut down about .030" and rounded off sharp edges (took about 15 minutes)

Plays much better now.

The guitar actually sounds very good to me and with a pro set up it will be a great rig.

Just don't look at it too close.

Should I demand a partial refund?

any suggestions welcomed

Some kind of refund, YES ! This wasn't a pro job.

Only serves as a lesson :

Always check your luthier back and forth before starting - (and while goin' for that matter). It's a general rule and should be done in a positive spirit.

Speak to him, go into detail, predict different ways of doin' things and talk them over.

Mail additional pictures as reference.

Underline certain issues if you sense doubt - while you do it, do something physical to seal what you're saying, f.x. lift a cup or tool up between you. Something he'll remember if you have to face him about a misunderstanding or failed operation.

This sounds like overkill, but it's no joke. There are so many possibilities for misunderstandings - so many ways to interpret a task.

I'm glad the guitar sounds satisfying - if you can live with its 'story', it certainly has one.

Btw. what became of the feather-holder, , , the charming bridge. . .

Fox guitars has not responded yet. Maybe he's on vacation. Emails during the restoration were always promptly replied to.

I hope he is ok.

I sent 2nd email demanding full refund.

He seemed to me to be a stand up guy and I think he will do the right thing.

Please don't get the idea that I am not livid that my old pre war Gibson suffered shoddy surgery.

I understand s^!t happens, but most pro luthiers (or pros in any discipline) , when screw ups occur, break the news gently to the customer and start all over. Or hand the guitar over to you in shame and for free.

They don't let work like that leave the shop and keep your hard earned money.

Fox guitars has not responded yet. Maybe he's on vacation. Emails during the restoration were always promptly replied to.

I hope he is ok.

Please don't get the idea that I am not livid that my old pre war Gibson suffered shoddy surgery.

I understand s^!t happens, but most pro luthiers (or pros in any discipline) , when screw ups occur, break the news gently to the customer and start all over. Or hand the guitar over to you in shame and for free.

Definitely a sorry tale... especially when you see Dchristo's example by comparison. Obviously we're only hearing one side of the story here, although the pics are extremely disheartening, I'm curious though, have you been to P.Fox's website? In the 'New Guitars' section for his Gibson tribute models, they all seem to have that finish and burst. I'd always thought perhaps it's just really bad pictures and surely not... but your guitar seems to support it is indeed quite a likeness for other models on his site. These pics would send me running for the hills I'm afraid (No offence Pfox) it certainly isn't a burst finish to be particularly proud of.

Look n see: http://www.fox-guita...ew_Guitars.html

Never tried one so I can't criticise, nor do I finish guitars either... but leaves me a bit 'wowsers' when I look at them and not in a positive way.

That's a nightmare Nick! I knew I recognised the burst as P.Fox has posted examples before, and they're not to my liking (sorry, I don't mean to offend). To me it doesn't look like a restoration to original - rather than an attempt to 'rescue' the guitar and finish to Fox style rather than Gibson?

Hopefully this will be put right for you - one way or another.

I hope he is ok.

I like your additude.

I agree that work on the guitar just doesn't get it. Besides the top issue, the fingerbaord is pretty bad and I am guessing leaves you worse off that what was there before.

But even for the best, we all "fail" now and again. We can't all be perfect all the time, so what truly matters is how we deal with it in the end. A good guy will want to make it right, and perhaps he is expecting too. It could be a communications breakdown as opposed to expecting you to accept it.

I like your additude.

I agree that work on the guitar just doesn't get it. Besides the top issue, the fingerbaord is pretty bad and I am guessing leaves you worse off that what was there before.

But even for the best, we all "fail" now and again. We can't all be perfect all the time, so what truly matters is how we deal with it in the end. A good guy will want to make it right, and perhaps he is expecting too. It could be a communications breakdown as opposed to expecting you to accept it.

Hmmm, I like the benefit of the doubt attitude Stein, but come on, if a workman sends out shoddy gear he shouldn't have, he either doesn't send it out in the first place, or he's hoping to get away with it... if the workman knows its a shoddy job (especially in a reputation/recommendation based type of work such as this) why send it in the first place. The website shows 'new' models in the same type of finished condition.

I don't want to get into heaping it on pfox, but jesus wept if that isn't a cut & dried case for a full refund and a gross apology I don't know what is. It might knock me off the xmas card list but it's almost definitely the worst refin and burst combo I might have seen. Based on this thread alone and a viewing of the guitars on the website I wouldn't dream of any work on my guitars even for free, that's the effect a thread like this can have, I'll bet there's just as many thinking what I'm saying but reluctant to post it due to pfox being a member. I'm not looking to offend pfox at all, but let's call it as it's seen, probably one of the worst jobs posted on here ever.

If he wasn't a member here, this would be about 3-4 pages full of textual slaughtering for the person who'd done the work by now.

Archived