Gibson Brands Forums

NGD... Introducing Penny!

modoc_333

Let me introduce to you "Penny". I don't normally name guitars, but this one is kind of obvious. It has been floating around our store for a while. We started by calling it "the one with the pennies", then "the penny guitar" and finally just "Penny".

She is a 1932 L-00 12-fret in black with a white guard and black tuners.... pretty much the cheapest version of the cheapest guitar that they made during the depression. I love her though! She is SO lightly built and SO resonant. She has obviously had some bad repairs, and needs a few more fixes. I AM going to leave the pennies on the bridge though. I will get the bridge properly attached, but I am going to cut the screws short so they don't go all the way through. (there are also pennies and nuts on the inside... with one being ON the brace!). The pennies will still be attached, but provide no structural support. I have been wanting this thing for years and I finally worked it out so I could bring her home!

Penny2.jpg

Keith, who are you going to get to do the repairs ?

Jason Burns. No question... and no fear! He is (fortunately) local to me but does as fine a job as anyone I have ever seen. Several members here have had him do work. I personally know MANY people who have had him do work for them and it comes out great every single time.

Hey Guys, I've seen this thing several times and even played it. It has the most mojo of any guitar I've ever seen. You can feel the blues vibe when you are around it. This is a player's guitar not a wall decoration. Congrats Keith ... you deserve it!

Wondrrful - congrats.

But not the cheapest version of Gibson's cheapest guitar - that coveted spot is reserved for the Kalamazoo KG-11 and KG-14.

well, yes, but I meant ones that actually carried the Gibson name. :)

Jason Burns. No question... and no fear! He is (fortunately) local to me but does as fine a job as anyone I have ever seen. Several members here have had him do work. I personally know MANY people who have had him do work for them and it comes out great every single time.

Not only is Jason a great tec, he makes some lovely and interesting banjos. Best of all he is a young man of integrity. He diagnosed a problem with my AJ that two other well know and respected local folks had missed (after weeks of having it) and did so in five minutes. Then, although he could have made several hundred bucks from doing the repair because the warranty didn't apply, he recommended that I send it back to Gibson because he felt they would do a better job of refinishing. If you need serious repairs or (God forbid) wish to purchase a hand built banjo, check him out www.burnsrepair.com.

If you need serious repairs or (God forbid) wish to purchase a hand built banjo, check him out www.burnsrepair.com.

Absolutely. Just wait until he finishes my J-45 (kidding).

I played penny in the Modoc's store a while back. She is so lightly built, so delicate. Fingerstyle blues is effortless and the tone was to die for. Oh, and I think Ren played this guitar a while back. Do you have a picture of him with it?

Congrats again!

Congrats!! I gotta say, I dig the pennies! [thumbup]

Me too! It isn't the way I would want to see a guitar repaired today, but I love it on this one! It is a like a piece of Americana folk art. It just fits. Like I said, I will have the repairs done properly so the coins aren't providing structural support (and get the inner ones off of the braces) but the pennies will always be on the bridge!

Archived