Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul vs. SG

crazytrain513

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an SG, and I love it, but there are things I don't like about it. The main thing is the weight balancing. When I'm wearing the strap, the head and neck weigh too much, so if I'm not holding it, the guitar starts to tilt so that the head stock is pointing down. Also, from my limited experience, the Les Paul has a much fuller sound. My SG is usually harsher than Les Paul's I've played or heard played. I don't know enough about the physics behind it, but I'm sure it has something to do with the difference in body mass.

I've always found SG's prone to neck-dive.

P.

O.O I thought I was just defective!

It is like girls:

SG - layed back, easy to get along with, fun to be around, slim and pretty

Les Paul - vuloptuous, all that mystique...I'm almost too intimidated to ask her out

I can play the SG with more ease because mine is a 70s slim neck, low action, light as a feather model.

As sound goes though...the Les Paul I have, nothing special, just a studio mid 90s, sounds a-mazing. I can't play it for long though because it is HEAVY as bricks and my poor shoulder. Plus, with a sound that good, I feel unworthy of handling her...then I think about Green Day and I say, "wait a minute if he can play decent enough for her!"

Sg all the way for me. (61 reissue)

LP is too heavy, not enough upper fret access and... I look better with an sg.

Tone is something I don't really care about. If it sounds good, it's ok. Playability is what matters to me.

The neck dive issue is something that doesn't bother me, I have a nice strap...cool.gif

I love both but I think I'd have to choose the SG.

The Les Paul is really cool looking. I love the shape and the sound, but the feeling of the body is a bit uncomfortable to me. I kindof have to wrestle the body.

The SG is much more comfortable to play for me and I love it's sort of psychedelic, sexy nature. I can't stand it's association with Angus Young, etc, but I love it anyways

You see as much as I love my Les Pauls, this is why I also love Les Paul Double Cuts.. You get most of the things you do from a Les Paul but also the upper fret access of an SG but without the neck dive issues.. I only have a LP Double Cut faded but I REALLY REALLY want a Double Cut Standard if they decide to make them again. :)

So for me its Les Pauls all the way.. Double cuts, even better.

...It is like girls:

SG - layed back, easy to get along with, fun to be around, slim and pretty

Les Paul - vuloptuous, all that mystique...I'm almost too intimidated to ask her out

I can play the SG with more ease because mine is a 70s slim neck, low action, light as a feather model.

As sound goes though...the Les Paul I have....sounds a-mazing. I can't play it for long though because it is HEAVY as bricks and my poor shoulder....

Izzy, I'm not going to try to put you off playing your SG. Great guitars.

But you might be the perfect candidate for one of the lighter examples of a chambered Les Paul Standard. I've tried some which have been a fair bit lighter than even an SG...

(And I liked the analogy at the start of your post! LOL!)

[thumbup]

P.

I own both like many here, it was a tough call, but if I *had* to choose one it would be the LP. I prefer the body style ever so slightly since to me it feels a bit more balanced and solid. Its a tough call though, it was 51-49 for me. [thumbup]

I go back and forth all the time between these guitars though. Kind of weird, I seem to prefer to learn and write songs on the SG, and play them on the LP (if that makes sense). No idea why.

SG. To me, an SG Classic (or a vintage Special or Jr.) with the P-90s is the undisputed King of Tone, and a bargain to boot.

I love all the mystique of the Les Paul as well as the sound, but I find the design and the weight - the balance more than the heft - to be cumbersome. I also hate the 2352 or whatever different models Gibson sells.

SG. To me, an SG Classic (or a vintage Special or Jr.) with the P-90s is the undisputed King of Tone, and a bargain to boot.

I love all the mystique of the Les Paul as well as the sound, but I find the design and the weight - the balance more than the heft - to be cumbersome. I also hate the 2352 or whatever different models Gibson sells.

I have to say I agree.. I have tried a few SGs in my time.. And the best one I ever played was one of the 60s Tribute SGs with P90s.. Amazing guitar that was, the neck was just something else.

I have to say I agree.. I have tried a few SGs in my time.. And the best one I ever played was one of the 60s Tribute SGs with P90s.. Amazing guitar that was, the neck was just something else.

The neck on my Classic is perfect for me: definitely NOT a slim-taper, but not a baseball bat either. Despite the obvious hum factor, P-90s on a slab of mahogany is rock and roll heaven.

The neck on my Classic is perfect for me: definitely NOT a slim-taper, but not a baseball bat either. Despite the obvious hum factor, P-90s on a slab of mahogany is rock and roll heaven.

Well I have the next best thing which is a LP DC faded.. Love that guitar so much.. Slim neck, P90s.. as you say.. slab guitars like that just plain ROCK!! :)

DSC01195.jpg

I'm a huge SG fan. I've used my standard in every possible situation and it just fits me perfect. I love the thin body, the sound, the feel, to me the SG is the perfect electric guitar and it never leaves me wanting. I've had a few LP's over the last 10 years or so but they always ended up going out of rotation for me. The body just feels awkward to me while standing. BTW the neck dive issue with the SG is very easily solved with a leather strap that grips your shirt to prevent the slide. But I just love the SG, when I was younger the SG was the first guitar that made me go WOW, when I was touring full time a few years ago I started touring with two SG and two LP's, when I stopped touring I had 10 SG's and 0 LP's. I've been blessed to play quite a few guitars in my short playing life and I also feel really blessed to have found a particular guitar (my main SG named Cadee) that just fits me perfect and fulfills every want I have in a guitar.

Slightly at a tangent but why is CBB getting so many '-ve' hits?

-4 and counting?

Disagree with his viewpoint if you will but explain why, please.

It doesn't lead to a healthy forum if you can 'minus' another person's post but without a corresponding explanation of why, exactly, you feel so strongly about that viewpoint.

We are all here to discuss, listen and learn.

Help this along.

P.

Slightly at a tangent but why is CBB getting so many '-ve' hits?

-4 and counting?

Disagree with his viewpoint if you will but explain why, please.

It doesn't lead to a healthy forum if you can 'minus' another person's post but without a corresponding explanation of why, exactly, you feel so strongly about that viewpoint.

We are all here to discuss, listen and learn.

Help this along.

P.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess because it was a sarcastic comment that not only didn't answer the OP's question, but didn't add anything to the thread either.

A Les Paul costs more so it is a better guitar.

Unless of course you go for a really cheap guitar and then you are way cool.

Could you explain why you say this?

Because I always thought the only reason the Les Paul cost more was because it required more material (wood) to create, and maybe one would go as far as to say "iconic" because it has been around for so long.

I'm not disagreeing -- just interested in your thought process because it seems a lot of people disagree.

So this is what I gather from the responses provided thus far:

Les Paul:

Pros - More versatile, thicker sound, more accurate sound when covering most artists (since they were used by so many), more performance-worthy (lack of neck-dive present on the SG), better looking in terms of mysteriousness & shape, a statement.

Cons - Heavy (almost too heavy to use standing for long periods of time), not always "bright" enough in sound, playability not as good (tough upper-fret access).

SG

Pros - All mahogany body provides for very good "punch", lighter, upper-fret access very good, more unique (pro?), more usable as a daily guitar.

Cons - Neck dive issue, not as versatile, sound can sometimes be "too bright and punchy" and a bit thin at times.

As the title suggests.

If you had to pick one, would it be a Les Paul or an SG?

Why?

Aside from the whole "it's all a matter of preference", what are the pros and cons of each?

The tone of a LP is incomparable, but I prefer a SG for slide.

The tone of a LP is incomparable, but I prefer a SG for slide.

SG for slide!? It hadn't even occured to me because mine has low action but now that you mention it...

I'm sorry, I can't picture sliding unless it is on a Strat o.O

One other thing I forgot to add about my SG. I'm not a fan of the location of the strap pegs. the front peg is on the back of the guitar, and I like to use strap locks. It can be rather uncomfortable when the stud of the strap lock presses into my stomach for too long.

Archived