Gibson Brands Forums

Special Gibson Forum Guitar for Forumites???!!!!

onewilyfool

I've noticed on other forums like Martin, Larrivee, AGF, that special run guitars were designed/spec'd ordered, and delivered at special prices with upgraded materials. Maybe if we could get 20 guys and gals together and order a special "Gibson Forum Guitar"!!!! What do you think? I know it would be hard to get agreement, but might be worth a try. Maybe some of the old-timers/insiders like Rar could advise us on a process, or see if this is even possible? What do you think???? Let's hear some suggestions!!!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed on other forums like Martin, Larrivee, AGF, that special run guitars were designed/spec'd ordered, and delivered at special prices with upgraded materials. Maybe if we could get 20 guys and gals together and order a special "Gibson Forum Guitar"!!!! What do you think? I know it would be hard to get agreement, but might be worth a try. Maybe some of the old-timers/insiders like Rar could advise us on a process, or see if this is even possible? What do you think???? Let's hear some suggestions!!!

I had a name earlier - Gibson Acoustic forumites: GAF = the Gaffers!

Probably a special run J45 would be a consensus?

But I see you got a minus 2 for bringing this guitar idea up....

Makes good sense to me. -2 for that? Haters!

Seriously, if I were able to afford ANY guitar, and was looking, getting with you cats for a cool origonal spec by some dudes I respect and know the stuff would be something I would definitely be into.

I mean, basically you just get a few guys who agree on a spec and ask Gibby to do the run. What wrong with that? Why WOULDN'T you?

I agree with Waverly tuners, also small body, how about 13 fret Nick lucas-stye guitar, Adi top, and some exotic B&S...Koa maybe? Madi? Tiger grain Oak? Flame Walnut? Maybe a little bling around the sound hole? "the Gibson" old style script? This could be fun!!! Depending on how many orders, maybe specie forum price of $2000 to $2,400.00???

It's a fun idea and I'm pretty sure Gibson Acoustic would cooperate with a suitable label, like Martin has done with the UMGF guitar (I have one) and Larrivee has done with their forum guitars. It's best to think of something currently not available. Recreate one of Gibson's little known gems or something. I can't see the point of another J-45.

How about a short scale 12 fret L-00 blackie? The Gibson version of the UMGF guitar, sort of. I've been wanting one of those but the vintage ones cost a bundle, often need too much repair, etc.

Another idea is to copy the specs of Bill Gonder's fabulous 12 fret J-45 with the big honkin' neck (the one Jackson Browne has been begging him to sell)? It would be cheap, a poor man's Jackson Brown, and would sound fantastic!

Tough one to get an agreement on, the standout points for me so far would be...

What's the point in another J-45.... too true

best to get something not available... yeah true, but then probably harder to get the numbers required

specs... probably sticking to tradition would be most successful here, thus ruling out stuff like koa...

likliest options for me to get onboard with would be some sort of Nick Lucas, 13 fretter, or a JB which ain't a JB. I can't see where there's left to go with 45's and birds without moving too far away from traditional specs which would kill the numbers.

I don't think the Gibson company would be that happy to make new dies and equipment, so it would need to be an existing shape with perhaps exotic materials/inlays or it would cost the Earth.

Here is my latest idea:

An Special L-00 designed by JT to celebrate all his very hard work on K Girls and his other projects?

BluesKing777.

amongst the thoughts on the design of them , lets hear some suggestions on where to get the coinage for one ?

a small bodied one is the way to go i think

of course they would be available at cost price for anyone who has made more than 618 posts on this forum....offer closes tonight.

This bunch can't agree on ANYTHING.....

Much less an entire guitar.

You don't need to get everyone to agree. Just enough people to justify making the run. Even though I already have a nice L-OO, I would probably vote for another small body, configuration to be decided.

One thing for me: no electronics.

I'm all in.... would prefer a J45, but a Nick Lucas would be great.....

But it's got to be 'special' since it will probably result in my having to sleep in the garage for awhile.

Agree. Garage for a long while. J45 has more universal appeal than a more 'esoteric' style. Since this thread is a variation of "What are you GASsing for now?" my answer would be something very close to the J45 Custom Mystic Rosewood, which had a run limited to 50.

After the brainstorming and blueskying phases are worked through - this rather good idea would need to progress to identifying the actual folks who have $3 or $4K burning a hole in their collective pockets. Unlike last November - they are the only ones who's votes really count.

A small body guitar sounds interesting. I'd have to hear all the specifics being considered before I'd know if I wanted it. Plus, I have no interest in a guitar over $3000. I've got the money, but not the interest. Definitly don't want another J45. We've already got several models that are all better than the previous model...lol...I'll stick with my J45 Standard. No matter what a J45 might be made from or what name they put on it, it's no sweeter than mine. A smaller body is something I might consider, depending on the other particulars. I usually favor sunburst, unless the wood is really eye-catching........One more thing--it's got to have a cool pickguard on it. Something along the lines of the Hummingbird/J200 guards, AND, it's got to be the thick guard with the design embedded into the material. I don't want the painted-on design that starts coming-off as soon as your fingers rub against it.

A small body guitar sounds interesting. I'd have to hear all the specifics being considered before I'd know if I wanted it. Plus, I have no interest in a guitar over $3000. I've got the money, but not the interest. Definitly don't want another J45. We've already got several models that are all better than the previous model...lol...I'll stick with my J45 Standard. No matter what a J45 might be made from, it's no sweeter than mine. A smaller body is something I might consider, depending on the other particulars. I usually favor sunburst, unless the wood is really eye-catching.

I like the idea of the Hummingbird-shaped pick guard. Maybe a special 4-color burst?

Archived