Gibson Brands Forums

Would you swap tuners? With?

MorrisrownSal

Hey fellas. I have a J-50 Modern Classic, which has large Grover Rotomatic tuners. They work fine. I really like the look of the open-back style tuners and think they have a nice older vintage vibe that I am fond of. Would you leave it be, as they work fine? If you would change them what would you change them for that does not require drilling? If I were to swap them out I would want just a simple drop-in replacement process. I am about as handy as Lindsay Lohan on a farm.

recodingtools.jpg

I threw some Waverleys on one of my old j-45's and they looked great! I think any replacements will require 2 holes, as opposed to 1 hole on the grovers. Not too bad though, the bottom hole lines up perfectly, just have to drill a top hole. Will make a world of difference though, I despise those rotomatics.

I like my J50 and my J45 with the white plastic buttons (I took fine sand paper and sanded off the lines left in the molding process). I got a little Eastman LG clone a bit ago that had imitation Grovers. They were heavy and ugly, never a good combination, and after trying to find replacement ivoroid bottons (to lighten the weight and get the look) that wouldn't keep breaking because the tight turning of the tuner broke them, I gave up and got some Tonepro Klusons. They look awesome and are very smooth and precise and they reduced the headstock weight considerably. I couldn't be happier and heartily recommend them.

Further grist for the mill: The other reasons I went with the Tonepro Klusons are that I wanted to be able to install the new tuners myself since my luthier is about a four hours drive away so I wanted tuners attached with nuts, not bushings AND I didn't want to drill new mounting holes or live with unsightly, unused holes from the original tuners. The Klusons took care of these two criteria too, they were a perfect fit.

Further grist for the mill: The other reasons I went with the Tonepro Klusons are that I wanted to be able to install the new tuners myself since my luthier is about a four hours drive away so I wanted tuners attached with nuts, not bushings AND I didn't want to drill new mounting holes or live with unsightly, unused holes from the original tuners. The Klusons took care of these two criteria too, they were a perfect fit.

perfect fit for the Grover gargantumatics?

I prefer just the simple hard plastic white or black button tuners. If you are looking for really good quality three on a plate, open gear tuners like Gibson used in the 1930s and 1940s check out the Antique Acoustic Kluson repros. Elderly carries them.

Elderly says they are currently out of stock - I really liked them for another project....

Thought I would let you know......

BluesKing777.

Call me old fashioned but Im of the opinion that all Gibson slope shouldered guitars look at their best with butter bean tuners. Hence that's what i would try to do, get some beans in there ...

Call me even older fashioned, but I like the plastic buttons instead of the Waverly-style metal butter beans, because that's what was on the originals. Zomby mentioned the Antique Acoustic tuners offered by my pals Willi Henkes and Rudie Blazer, which are fabulous reproductions. Another really good, and less expensive alternative are Stew Mac's Golden Age Restoration tuners. The 3-on-a-strip Kluson-style would be right for a 1940s J-50.

I was thinking about this very subject last night. I wonder if the added mass at the head stock from the Grovers affects the tone in an adverse way?

Probably not in a measurable way, but it certainly increases the weight and changes the balance a bit.

I think the ones on there are ok..but if you go for Vintage Style open geared tuner do Waverly.

I thought so little of the Gotoh that were on my Martin that I left them with the guy who put on the Waverly's and asked that he please pass em on to someone who is poor and can not afford others.

The things always felt cheap and hollow.

I do woodwork at home but I took it to a pro to put them in ($75)...

Which exact Tonepro Kluson model did you pick?

Nice tuning pegs sal, they'd look great on ya J-50(if they fit).

I also don't like the Grover romantics, maybe just cause they are standard now for most guitars, where the others are different :).

I have the Grover, open back, butter bean ones on my J-45 and the Kluson ones on my J-30.

Are all Grovers not the same sizes holes then? I thought each company would have a standard size, crazy.

Anyway good luck in the hunt.

The Tonepro Klusons I chose were NOT three on a plate. They were like the individual, enclosed ones in your second option, only oval shaped buttons a la most stock Gibson's and I got the ones that have off-white buttons instead of starkly white (more aged looking). I threw away the packaging after installing so I don't recall other particulars like model number, etc, but go to their site and you should be able to easily figure out which will work best for you from the descriptions. Another plus that I recall is that the string post height on the Tonepros were a little lower than on the crap, stock ones I was replacing so that I also gained better break angle at the nut.

Archived