Gibson Brands Forums

Keefered Up - Again! 1999 SG Special

Aoresteen

Last year I posted a thread on my Epiphone Jr TV Yellow 5 string guitar:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/91918-epi-lp-junior-special-tv-yellow-keefered-up/page__p__1258223__hl__keefered__fromsearch__1#entry1258223

Well I have another one! Actully I built this guitar BEFORE I did the TV yellow one (I needed a 5 Sting in Orlando) and I never had my camera around to take picktures of it after I got the custom pickguard.

This is a 1999 Epiphone SG Special that I rescued from a pawn shop in Orlando for $50. Neck was bowed, wireing was not working - needed some help.

I replaced the pickups with a set of Artec Alnico V 12K bridge, 8K neck. Added Schaller Strap locks. Had Terrapin Guitars make the custom pickguard (This SG Spcial did not com with a pickguard), and the custom truss rod cover.

SQSpecial5stringfront_zpsbbbaed58.jpg

SQSpecialbody_zps3ca244c4.jpg

SGSpecialheastock_zps13e8b429.jpg

SGSpeicalHeastockrear_zps7a011587.jpg

SQSpecialrearbody_zps5f4352ef.jpg

The tuners are stock and I found some 10mm plugs on line to cover up the extra tuner hole. A bone nut with full string spread was added.

Guitar is tuned to O-pen G. Strings are Erie Ball in the Keefer approved gauges :)

• 4 weeks later...

After playing the SG 5 string with my other 5 strings, the spacing DOES feel weird. I decided to have the SG's nut changed to what my other 5 strings have. I took the SG and my TV Yellow Les Paul Junior to my guitar tech and he made a nut to match the LP Jr. nut.

Old SG Nut:

EpiSGoldnut_zps13088fbd.jpg

New SG Nut:

EpiSGnewnut_zps825fd12f.jpg

EpiSGnewnutside_zpsc3480f03.jpg

Much more normal. Overall much better.

The down side is that some odd chords that were easy with the wide spreading of the strings are now a bit toughter to do.

With the new nut we were able to move the 6th low E tuner and move it to the noral 5th string tuner location:

EpiSGnewheadstokkeys_zps65e758fa.jpg

I'm happy :)

Archived