Hello, new guy here!
I'm also a happy owner of an alpine white 61 special. I have it for 6 months now, and I wanna say something about pro's and cons' of my guitar, at lest my particular experience:
I also have a 2008 G400, so I have something to compare it to.
- amazingly 'historically correct' details, including neck binding, body shape, control cavitiy...
- neck profile is perfect, for me at least.
- good fret job, you can have ridiculously low action with no buzz. Beautiful rosewood too.
- excellent quality tuners, at least as good or better than epi's grovers
- very resonant ascoustically, much more than my g400 - dunno if that's becouse of the wrap-around or better materials?
- paintwork on the headstock, where the white meets the black is pretty sloppy - it's perfect everywhere else though...
- nut was somewhat roughly finished, though it didn't go out of tune, and I always put a graph tech tusq nut on anyway...
- intonation - absolutely perfect with 11s or 12s (standard tuning), but with 10s, which I use, the low E and A are a bit flat at 12th string, despite bridge being as close to the neck as possible...
- so far I'm the only one who's not that wild about the pickups (bridge at least),
it's got powerful low-end, but not enough mids and too strat-like highs for my taste.
This might be my own fault though. You see, I changed pots and did a gibson 50s wiring scheme on my G400, and it drastically improved the sound.
So I did the same with the 61' special on day 3, before I really got familiar with it... And now it's a bit harsh sounding.
The thing is, I forgot to writhe down the diagram of the original wiring, so I can't go back now.
Might try 'gibson modern wiring'...
Or if any of you could post the original wiring here? :-&
Anyway, despite the minor flaws, this is still a great buy. Plus, I always like to tinker around & mod things, whether they need it or not