Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar is Mr. Gilmour using for the solo?

pippy

As it says on the tin.

How many folk here knew which guitar David Gilmour used for the recording of this; one of his most famous solos?

I was VERY surprised indeed!

Don't post the answer here so as not to spoil any possible surprise for others as uninformed as myself on this matter!

Answer to be found in the 'Musical Style' section of the Wiki entry on him;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmour

Some interesting stuff in that entry including this tid-bit about the strap he always uses with his famous black-bodied, black p'guarded, maple-neck 1969 Strat;

"The guitar strap that Gilmour pairs with this instrument once belonged to Jimi Hendrix."

I've learned much new stuff today!

P.

I think I knew that already :-)

*My* favorite Gilmour solo is from 'A Great Day for Freedom'

Probably because of the setup the lyrics/vocal gives leading into it:

I woke to the sound of drums

I turned and I looked at you

and all but the bitter residue

slipped away ... slipped away

If your attention span is short, skip to 1:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNLVgColaFw

I like the fact that on the Roger Waters tour Snowy White used the same guitar for this solo, helped it sound authentic. I had previously seen an interview where DG talked about the solo and demonstrated it using the original guitar you're mentioning. Another fun fact, that solo was recorded directly into the board and then re-amped into a tube amp to give it an edge, as it was decidedly the best sounding method.

I saw a documentary with David Gilmour and he brought out the very same guitar he used for that solo, one of many vintage guitars he owns.

It would be good to have the ability to play like him on any guitar!

I find the Gilmour guitar soloing hard to articulate, the exactness of it with the bends and all. i can approximate but, the mechanics of the les paul sound different from that of the strat. the mind set if you can call it that of a British guitarist vs. an American guitarist, Canadian being closer to Americanized, British people don't know what a cheesburger is, they drive on the left side of the road. You ask an American what the f is egg and chips and they look at ya funny. The British guitar work, partiularly Gilmour has a flavour that's not all together familiar to what I learned or like to play like. it's a challege. If you are a right handed person, try eating a cheeseburger with your left hand while looking at a mirror haw haw. (no that's not a reference to a famous drunk David Hasslehoff vid.)

I love the guitar solo on Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 and I think I came across reading what guitar he used. (it was a gibson!)

Hello Pippy! Hello All!

I grew up listening to Pink Floyd. It wasn't my choice, tough, Dad used to be a huge fan those days. So I was up to neck with them.

Then...recently I've discovered them on my own. Must say it's such a pleasure listening to their music. Relaxes me, takes me far away from this ugly world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFkn6Q7DzU&playnext=1&list=PLC20diPYx7tTQbSaKfKGRtUD4Z20V9rYN&feature=results_main

Cheers... Bence

...Relaxes me, takes me far away from this ugly world.

Pink Floyd was my "painting" music in the early 80's. I'd listen to "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon" for hours when working on paintings. I think it is that relaxing ethereal, other-worldly, quality I like so much.

I watched David Gilmour in a Video on TV last night. The Video was called Fender Stratocaster and had just a huge list of great guitarists, David May, Joe Walsh, Ronnie Wood, et.al.

Gilmour did three, I think, songs and one was a long, soulful awesome instrumental. I wish I knew the name of it.

I watched David Gilmour in a Video on TV last night. The Video was called Fender Stratocaster and had just a huge list of great guitarists, David May, Joe Walsh, Ronnie Wood, et.al.

Gilmour did three, I think, songs and one was a long, soulful awesome instrumental. I wish I knew the name of it.

Was it this?

I did NOT know that. In fact, when you brought it up, I guessed it was something else. I can hear it now, though. Of corse.

Oddly enough, Stein, even although I now know better, "ol' Cloth-Ears" here can still hear his Black Strat...............[laugh]

I find it very interesting that whatever guitar someone is playing, the tone and timbre is still recognizable as themselves.

I couldn't possibly agree more, Larry.

In the self-same wiki entry there is this little observation relating to a now-famous comedy sketch from the '80s;

"David Gilmour also took part in a comedy skit titled "The Easy Guitar Book Sketch" with comedian Roland Rivron and fellow British musicians Mark Knopfler, Lemmy from Motorhead, Mark King from Level 42, and Gary Moore. Guitar tech Phil Taylor explained in an interview that Knopfler used Gilmour's guitar rig and managed to sound like himself when performing in the skit."

Furthermore Joe Bonamassa has mentioned an occasion when he managed to get Eric Clapton to jam with him at the Royal Albert Hall to perform "Stepping Out" which featured on the 'Beano'. Although Clapton was playing a Strat through a Fender combo he sounded exactly the same as when he played his 'burst through the Marshall!

P.

I find the Gilmour guitar soloing hard to articulate, the exactness of it with the bends and all. i can approximate but, the mechanics of the les paul sound different from that of the strat. the mind set if you can call it that of a British guitarist vs. an American guitarist, Canadian being closer to Americanized, British people don't know what a cheesburger is, they drive on the left side of the road. You ask an American what the f is egg and chips and they look at ya funny. The British guitar work, partiularly Gilmour has a flavour that's not all together familiar to what I learned or like to play like. it's a challege. If you are a right handed person, try eating a cheeseburger with your left hand while looking at a mirror haw haw. (no that's not a reference to a famous drunk David Hasslehoff vid.)

I love the guitar solo on Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 and I think I came across reading what guitar he used. (it was a gibson!)

how would you categorize Gilmour as a guitar player, 'progressive rock' guitarist? i always liked the 1978 selftitled 'no way out of here' album. he definitely changed the vein of floyd by replacing syd barrett.

I like the fact that on the Roger Waters tour Snowy White used the same guitar for this solo, helped it sound authentic. I had previously seen an interview where DG talked about the solo and demonstrated it using the original guitar you're mentioning. Another fun fact, that solo was recorded directly into the board and then re-amped into a tube amp to give it an edge, as it was decidedly the best sounding method.

snowy.jpg

My brother got friendly with Snowy on that tour. He's back out with them this summer. He's on the crew.

He was telling me after the tour RW gave some of the crew (including him) a set of picks that were made for the tour. He said they were worth quite a bit.

Mr. Gilmour pulls a lot out of his hat in this.

Great double DVD set to own also.

Lots of special guests too.

This is very cool. I recorded this concert off satellite dish. It's the same but different? :huh: For one thing the one that I recorded is shorter, an hour and some versus the 2 1/2 hours of the Youtube Video. And the last song on both is Comfortably Numb but the one that I recorded doesn't have David Bowie singing. I'm sure it relates to Double DVD set. But both very cool.

Ahhh that's so sick!

snowy.jpg

My brother got friendly with Snowy on that tour. He's back out with them this summer. He's on the crew.

He was telling me after the tour RW gave some of the crew (including him) a set of picks that were made for the tour. He said they were worth quite a bit.

As it says on the tin.

How many folk here knew which guitar David Gilmour used for the recording of this; one of his most famous solos?

I was VERY surprised indeed!

Don't post the answer here so as not to spoil any possible surprise for others as uninformed as myself on this matter!

Answer to be found in the 'Musical Style' section of the Wiki entry on him;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmour

Some interesting stuff in that entry including this tid-bit about the strap he always uses with his famous black-bodied, black p'guarded, maple-neck 1969 Strat;

"The guitar strap that Gilmour pairs with this instrument once belonged to Jimi Hendrix."

I've learned much new stuff today!

P.

Interesting Jimi Hendrix didn't use the strat for the guitar solos on Are You Experienced tracks "Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze". It was a tele borrowed from Noel Redding. from. Gibson.com

Archived