Gibson Brands Forums

Best Smart Phone

daveinspain

Im currently looking for an upgrade to my samsung galaxy. Im really not an apple fan though so I can take that off my list of things to consider. I wont go into the reasons though because you fans will hate me forever msp_unsure.gif

we have five smart phones in my house...BB's, iPhones, and Droids...and while I don't use one...the Apple is by FAR the superior product in the eyes of my wife and kids. Speed is the most noticeable difference. I will be getting a new BB from work (but sadly not the new Z10) next week with 4G speed...so maybe my opinion of RIM will improve somewhat.

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S for a year now. I bought it used from a friend for $35 so I've gotten my money's worth.

It's worked well EXCEPT for the occasional freeze up. I have to remove the battery and then HOPEFULLY ti will start.... many times it displays a battery symbol and I have to keep removing and installing the battery. Last time it did it I plugged it into the charger and held the power button until it came to life. It hasn't frozen up since.

One of my daughters has an iPhone 4 that she handed to me. She is using a Motorola Electrify I think now. I asked her if there was any problem with the iPhone and she said no, she just wanted a new phone.

So I may do the switch. I've been carrying both of them in my coat pocket for a week now, wondering if I should stop at the Verizon place and have them shift over.

I'm not used to switching something unless it's broken entirely so I'm kinda freaking out here. I feel like I'm in the 9th grade breaking up with one girl to go with another.

Guest Farnsbarns

Galaxy s3 running CyanogenMod 10.1 AOSP and custom kernel. I am considering trying ParanoidAndroid's AOSP for the pie nav but it might be coming to CyanogenMod so I'm holding off. You could say that a Nexus4 with Google AOSP is better because it was designed to run AOSP but I've not tried one. If Samsung would open up the driver sources for Exynos we would have an even better AOSP ROM.

I dumped my Galaxy S3 after 5 replacements due to physical hardware going bad on me.

Picked up an iPhone 5 and although the software on my S3 was much more intuitive (let's be serious, iOS needs a major overhaul), the iPhone definitely performed much better.

The Galaxy S4 is out now. It wipes the floor with Apple in almost every way. But what's the point if physically, the cheap plastic Samsung uses can't keep the phone going?

I bought my GF an iPhone 5 for xmas. She's quite pleased although it seems to drop a lot of calls if you ask me. Got my self a 4S and it's fine but no big whoop. I like that I can stream music in my car and the camera is better than the Droid I used to have. Oh, and Siri won't answer any of my more personal questions so I've stopped speaking to her.

Galaxy s3 running CyanogenMod 10.1 AOSP and custom kernel. I am considering trying ParanoidAndroid's AOSP for the pie nav but it might be coming to CyanogenMod so I'm holding off. You could say that a Nexus4 with Google AOSP is better because it was designed to run AOSP but I've not tried one. If Samsung would open up the driver sources for Exynos we would have an even better AOSP ROM.

Which kernel do you use? Im a big fan of the motley. In the last year or so I've started getting into writing ROM's but only make them for my nexus7 currently.

Guest Farnsbarns

Which kernel do you use? Im a big fan of the motley. In the last year or so I've started getting into writing ROM's but only make them for my nexus7 currently.

My own tweaked and recompiled CM10.1 kernel. Supports under/over clocking and under volting. I'm working on dual boot so I can run stock for sky go and make use of a Sammy smart TV.

My own tweaked and recompiled CM10.1 kernel. Supports under/over clocking and under volting. I'm working on dual boot so I can run stock for sky go and make use of a Sammy smart TV.

Ive got my nexus set up to support that also, I mainly use overclocking with under volting otherwise the battery drains too quickly. Can you go into more detail about the need for dual boot and sky go/smart tv, I dont really understand what you mean/want to achieve.

Archived