Gibson Brands Forums

Top Ten Jimi Hendrix Songs

daveinspain

No Foxey Lady? Fire? Are You Experienced? Third Stone From the Sun? 51st Anniversary? Dolly Dagger? Crosstown Traffic? Angel (although I was never a big fan of the song)? Geez...

Lists are stupid. Especially lists where you have to pick a certain number of songs by a great musician.

I loved about every one of them in the list I must say. As been said, too many great ones to have just 10. What talent lost and what would he be playing today if he'd lived & continued to play?

Aster

30 years ago or even 20 years ago the reader base of Rolling Stone magazine would've been able to make informed opinions and polls that they answered would've been a pretty good representation of what most people think.In the past few years Rolling Stone mag has turned into a 21 century equivilent of what Hit Parader and 16 magazine were in the 60s and consequently appears to be aimed more at the Justa Beaver/Miley Cyrus fan base and the fashion concious clothes horse types than fans of serious music,at least that's what I've seen of it when I picked it up the rare time that there was an article that picqued my interest.

I doubt if many of the current reader base know enough about Jimi's music or music in general to be able to accurately pick what the better songs of his catalogue were.For some reason I couldn't get into the page that carried the results of the poll so I don't know at all what the outcome was except that Voodoo Child(slight return) got top billing,which I really can't disagree with since I have often sat back with headphones on and listened to it for 2 hrs and more with the player on repeat,then again I've done the same with Angel,Little Wing,Spanish Castle Magic,Foxy Lady,Are You Experienced,Machine Gun and several more. I can say with confidence that Machine Gun represents not only Jimi's best executed live performance but I'd go so far to say that it is quite possibly the most incredible example of incendary guitar virtuosity that was ever recorded live-at least to my ears and from what live recordings I've heard so far.

Just as picking a top 10 Beatle favourites would be pretty well impossible for me,the same would happen with Jimi's recordings.

30 years ago or even 20 years ago the reader base of Rolling Stone magazine would've been able to make informed opinions and polls that they answered would've been a pretty good representation of what most people think.In the past few years Rolling Stone mag has turned into a 21 century equivilent of what Hit Parader and 16 magazine were in the 60s and consequently appears to be aimed more at the Justa Beaver/Miley Cyrus fan base and the fashion concious clothes horse types than fans of serious music,at least that's what I've seen of it when I picked it up the rare time that there was an article that picqued my interest.

I doubt if many of the current reader base know enough about Jimi's music or music in general to be able to accurately pick what the better songs of his catalogue were.For some reason I couldn't get into the page that carried the results of the poll so I don't know at all what the outcome was except that Voodoo Child(slight return) got top billing,which I really can't disagree with since I have often sat back with headphones on and listened to it for 2 hrs and more with the player on repeat,then again I've done the same with Angel,Little Wing,Spanish Castle Magic,Foxy Lady,Are You Experienced,Machine Gun and several more. I can say with confidence that Machine Gun represents not only Jimi's best executed live performance but I'd go so far to say that it is quite possibly the most incredible example of incendary guitar virtuosity that was ever recorded live-at least to my ears and from what live recordings I've heard so far.

Just as picking a top 10 Beatle favourites would be pretty well impossible for me,the same would happen with Jimi's recordings.

A bunch of hipsters that are still fixed on Springsteen and U2 (well, any band that makes that kind of political statement). They don't understand that rock n' roll is about passion and fun. They look down on metal. Completely ignored bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Scorpions, Motorhead, most NWOBHM bands (to me that's a good thing, as a fan of these bands). Trashed KISS, Grand Funk Railroad, Rush, Ted Nugent, etc. Used to hate on Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Aerosmith but now adore them. Bunch of hypocrites.

...no offence to Bruce Springsteen and U2...

Archived