Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SteveSatori

Two improvements i really would like to see, and some questions

I love this device and I've had it since the day it came out, and for each software update I love it even more. Been playing a lot of gigs with it already, BUT there's two things that have been bugging me since v1;

1 ) If you use the scratch-function to move around in your song (oldschool style), the songs tend to pop and crackle if you spin back to the beginning of the song, after you've been a couple of seconds into the track. The issue always occurs if you do a spinback, no matter where you are in the track. I can use the Touch-function to go back to the beginning of the track, but sometimes I have to re-load the track (go into the menu, select the song again), for the pops to disappear, so I guess it's a buffer-thing.

2 ) The key pitch. I want to be able to adjust the tone of the key pitch, so if I put a track into key, then I want to be able to adjust the locked key (could be done by a nifty ENTER+pitchbend +/-). Please tell me if this already exists, because it's so often that I do mixes, that end up sounding like trying to mix two old tapes that are drifting.

I have a some questions too;

A ) About the Touch-function: What the hell is it for? I only use it if I want to go to the beginning of the track, without spinning back. I just don't see why it's there.

B ) Is the delay safe for use now? A couple of updates back, I remember that using the delay extensively, could make the unit overload - is this still an issue? Only asking, cause I'm (carefully) using the delay in my mixes again, since I stopped using it completely to avoid mishaps.

I love this device and I've had it since the day it came out, and for each software update I love it even more. Been playing a lot of gigs with it already, BUT there's two things that have been bugging me since v1;

1 ) If you use the scratch-function to move around in your song (oldschool style), the songs tend to pop and crackle if you spin back to the beginning of the song, after you've been a couple of seconds into the track. The issue always occurs if you do a spinback, no matter where you are in the track. I can use the Touch-function to go back to the beginning of the track, but sometimes I have to re-load the track (go into the menu, select the song again), for the pops to disappear, so I guess it's a buffer-thing.

If you spin back more slowly it may work better or press and hold the SCRATCH button while spinning back to get back to the beginning quicker

2 ) The key pitch. I want to be able to adjust the tone of the key pitch, so if I put a track into key, then I want to be able to adjust the locked key (could be done by a nifty ENTER+pitchbend +/-). Please tell me if this already exists, because it's so often that I do mixes, that end up sounding like trying to mix two old tapes that are drifting.

I have a some questions too;

A ) About the Touch-function: What the hell is it for? I only use it if I want to go to the beginning of the track, without spinning back. I just don't see why it's there.

It takes you back to your CUE point - kind of like having a hot cue before we put hot cues in there.

B ) Is the delay safe for use now? A couple of updates back, I remember that using the delay extensively, could make the unit overload - is this still an issue? Only asking, cause I'm (carefully) using the delay in my mixes again, since I stopped using it completely to avoid mishaps.

Yes the delay problem was fixed a long time ago. Please feel free to use it.

If you spin back more slowly it may work better or press and hold the SCRATCH button while spinning back to get back to the beginning quicker

That's like saying "take it easy there, 'cause this unit is made for straight song-playing only". Spinbacks, scratches and searching around in tracks, isn't something that supposed to be a performance-issue for a device like this. It's basically part of the DJ culture.

This leads me to another question that's been on my mind for long too;

Is it in any way possible to upgrade the CPU/RAM on the unit?

We all know the CPU on this unit is ridiculously low, and I must applaud the software-engineers for making the software possible to run on so low specs, but we CLEARLY reached a wall here. If you just doubled the CPU, there would be more than enough processing power to deal with any kind of performance issues. If it's a RAM-problem (which i doubt), it shouldn't be a problem to make more RAM accessible through a flashdrive.

I would gladly pay for sending my unit to Stanton/Gibson, so get my CPU replaced, and I'm sure there's a lot other in here that feels the same.

And can I get a comment/answer to my question number 2 in the original post? Is pitch-shifting possible?

I'm still a bit baffled on the touch-function. I mean, there's only a handful of songs where this is applicable. It would be more suitable if it's modded to work with the last cue-point set.

Guest Professorbx

That's like saying "take it easy there, 'cause this unit is made for straight song-playing only". Spinbacks, scratches and searching around in tracks, isn't something that supposed to be a performance-issue for a device like this. It's basically part of the DJ culture.

This leads me to another question that's been on my mind for long too;

Is it in any way possible to upgrade the CPU/RAM on the unit?

We all know the CPU on this unit is ridiculously low, and I must applaud the software-engineers for making the software possible to run on so low specs, but we CLEARLY reached a wall here. If you just doubled the CPU, there would be more than enough processing power to deal with any kind of performance issues. If it's a RAM-problem (which i doubt), it shouldn't be a problem to make more RAM accessible through a flashdrive.

I would gladly pay for sending my unit to Stanton/Gibson, so get my CPU replaced, and I'm sure there's a lot other in here that feels the same.

And can I get a comment/answer to my question number 2 in the original post? Is pitch-shifting possible?

I'm still a bit baffled on the touch-function. I mean, there's only a handful of songs where this is applicable. It would be more suitable if it's modded to work with the last cue-point set.

Touch rewind works currently on the last cue point you set. It has done that from day one. [confused] [confused] [confused]

Touch rewind works currently on the last cue point you set. It has done that from day one. [confused] [confused] [confused]

Ok Professor, I might be wrong, so I'll look into that. Maybe it's useful after all. But forget about the touch rewind for a while. Nobody is commenting on the pitch-shifting and CPU-replacement :)

Ok Professor, I might be wrong, so I'll look into that. Maybe it's useful after all. But forget about the touch rewind for a while. Nobody is commenting on the pitch-shifting and CPU-replaceoument :)

CPU replacement would sure be a great thing, but it is not happening. I do not understand what exactly you want for the pitch-shifting.

CPU replacement would sure be a great thing, but it is not happening. I do not understand what exactly you want for the pitch-shifting.

I guess CPU is out of the question. So Stanton really has us by the balls until the next version of SCS4DJ (or if a competing company makes something better).

Regarding the pitch-shifting: I just want to be able to set the key of the track I want to mix, so it matches the other track that I'm mixing on to. The ability is there in software-solutions (ie. Deckadance and Traktor).

The SCS4DJ-system should be capable of this, since you can lock the key to the tracks original key. So adding the functionality to go up/down by let's say 6 semitones, should be possible.

I do a lot of chillout/downbeat mixes, and I have to be pretty lucky to find to tracks that are in complete tune (yes, I'm well aware that oldschoolers mastered this with vinyl). Mixes done in traktor or ableton, always sound great because of the tune, and therefore you won't get disrupted in the mix.

I guess CPU is out of the question. So Stanton really has us by the balls until the next version of SCS4DJ (or if a competing company makes something better).

Regarding the pitch-shifting: I just want to be able to set the key of the track I want to mix, so it matches the other track that I'm mixing on to. The ability is there in software-solutions (ie. Deckadance and Traktor).

The SCS4DJ-system should be capable of this, since you can lock the key to the tracks original key. So adding the functionality to go up/down by let's say 6 semitones, should be possible.

I do a lot of chillout/downbeat mixes, and I have to be pretty lucky to find to tracks that are in complete tune (yes, I'm well aware that oldschoolers mastered this with vinyl). Mixes done in traktor or ableton, always sound great because of the tune, and therefore you won't get disrupted in the mix.

you can pitch mix - just turn off the keylock switch for the deck you want to adjust. it's top right button next to the display on the waveform display screen.

you can pitch mix - just turn off the keylock switch for the deck you want to adjust. it's top right button next to the display on the waveform display screen.

Yes I know, but I want to sync it to the beat at the same time, and that will change the pitch (key) up or down, if the tracks are not in sync. I want to be able to SYNC and control the pitch at the same time.