Gibson Brands Forums

SG Supra: Truly a Class of Its Own

capmaster

Really looks darn great! [thumbup]

Now I am "officially" no longer the only one with an SG Supra featuring cream pickup rings. [biggrin]

The black ones looked a bit clumsy to me already on the web pics, and my first personal contact when I bought it confirmed my impression. So I decided to buy the cream rings already with the guitar. I think they match the antique natural finish much better.

I also had considered to change pot knobs, switch washer and eventually switch tip (there's the danger to destroy the tog pot switch) to cream ones but found no appropriate cream witchhat knobs. I like the witchhat look and the grip of their knurled surface, and so I stayed with them up to now.

Really looks darn great! [thumbup]

Now I am "officially" no longer the only one with an SG Supra featuring cream pickup rings. [biggrin]

The black ones looked a bit clumsy to me already on the web pics, and my first personal contact when I bought it confirmed my impression. So I decided to buy the cream rings already with the guitar. I think they match the antique natural finish much better.

I also had considered to change pot knobs, switch washer and eventually switch tip (there's the danger to destroy the tog pot switch) to cream ones but found no appropriate cream witchhat knobs. I like the witchhat look and the grip of their knurled surface, and so I stayed with them up to now.

Yeah. I considered the switch tip but decided to leave well alone for the same reasons. [wink]

I also tried speed knobs but they just looked wrong.

Yeah. I considered the switch tip but decided to leave well alone for the same reasons. [wink]

I also tried speed knobs but they just looked wrong.

Basically I am a fan of speed knobs and swapped except on my Supra all the other knobs for them, but I didn't get cream ones up to now and found out that the black witch hats look better than black speed knobs. However, it would be a different thing with push/pull pots where speed knobs are the best to handle I think.

Thank you very much for providing the link. [thumbup]

I got some Cream speed knobs from there to try & now I have them on the Guitar I think I prefer the look to the top hats. Colour matches the rest better.

Plus as you say easier to tweak! ;)

• 1 month later...

Sometimes strange things happen... [confused] After uninstalling of the camera software - the camera worked! [thumbup]

Then I decided to instantly register at imageshack and to post a photo of the SG Supra I purchased last Wednesday. To my taste the cream coloured pickup rings look pretty although the binding is white. So the colour of the rings is somewhere in between that of the binding and the finish.

I thought the SG Supra in Antique Natural would make a pretty pair with my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess in Viceroy Brown. I bought it five weeks ago, and it was a problem child for more than four weeks. Equipped with an additional polarity switch now it is better than it could have been ever before. Due to my Carpal Tunnel Syndrom (CTS) I have only 15 % sensitivity left in my right hand, and therefore I replaced the smooth top hat knobs with speed knobs for easier grasp. The knobs of the SG Supra are knurled, and so I easily get a grip despite of their witch hat design.

sgsuallp.jpg

Drool......,

Archived