Gibson Brands Forums

Getting a new Gibson traditional!!!

BigDave78

Hey All,

I am going to be getting my very first Gibson Les Paul. It is a Traditional. I was wondering from any with experience with these guitars if there are any issues that i should be aware of. I have wanted one since i was a teenager now 15 years later I am taking the plunge and want it to be perfect.

Thanks

Dave.

Hey All,

I am going to be getting my very first Gibson Les Paul. It is a Traditional. I was wondering from any with experience with these guitars if there are any issues that i should be aware of. I have wanted one since i was a teenager now 15 years later I am taking the plunge and want it to be perfect.

Thanks

Dave.

I love everything about the Traditional. They have my favorite pickups (57 Classics).

I would say no guitar is ever perfect, but they are pretty close! Some say they are a bit heavy, but I don't mind.

My current one (2009)is weight relieved at 10lbs.

I have a 2013 on the way from Sweetwater and it's 9lbs 5 oz. and not weight relieved.

Go Figure!

Are you getting a 2013?

I love everything about the Traditional. They have my favorite pickups (57 Classics).

I would say no guitar is ever perfect, but they are pretty close! Some say they are a bit heavy, but I don't mind.

My current one (2009)is weight relieved at 10lbs.

I have a 2013 on the way from Sweetwater and it's 9lbs 5 oz. and not weight relieved.

Go Figure!

Are you getting a 2013?

I beleive its a 2012 model.

Love mine...2011. No issues except the first one I got had fret board damage or faulty craftsmanship that should have never passed QC, but that's not specific to the trad. Just check it over well and play before you buy. You will love it!

Hey All,

Thanks

Dave.

Yes there is a little you should know about the finish. I am not sure what kind of finish it has but if it's nitro then it will require a little work on your part to keep it up. The nitro will react with all kinds of chemicals including sweat and skin grease. If you don't take care of it the finish will look bad. If nitro finish, buy some Virtuoso polish and put on 3 coats before you play it. This will build up a nice coat that is easy to clean and take care of. Use a soft t-shirt or lint free cloth to wipe all the grease, finger prints, and sweat off after each practice or jam session. EVERY TIME. If you don't it will be hard to get off later and may even stain the finish. If you do this it will be so easy to keep it looking new. NEVER leave the polish on to set for or it will bubble the finish. Only need to polish it ever 6 months to a year.

Cleaning it after each session will prevent the neck from getting sticky.

If its faded or satin don't use Virtuoso or it will shine the heck out of your guitar and its impossible to reverse it.

Buy some GHS fast fret and clean the strings after each session and they will last longer and feel better.

Don't let it get too hot by leaving it in a car or the glue could melt.

Don't expose it to sudden changes in temperature or the finish will crack.

Keep reading this forum daily and you will learn a lot about how to take care of your guitar.

If its faded or satin don't use Virtuoso or it will shine the heck out of your guitar and its impossible to reverse it.

That's the way to turn a satin 50s Tribute into an R6. :D

Worked well for me.

Before:

LPST50WGCH8.jpg

After:

HPIM2963.jpg

Cheers... Bence

That's the way to turn a satin 50s Tribute into an R6. :D

Worked well for me.

Before:

LPST50WGCH8.jpg

After:

HPIM2963.jpg

Cheers... Bence

I just love that Classic Custom with the natural finish, black knobs, black pick guard and the black and white binding. Really sharp!!

Hey All,

Thanks

Dave.

Hey Dave, congrats on the new guitar (if and when you pull the trigger). I have a Trad Plus and I love it. I did not want a Standard for 2 reasons: didn't need the split coil pickups (I've got 2 strats for single coils) and I was not digging the assymetrical shape. Needless to say, I love my Traditional Plus but had to swap the pickups out for some Burstbuckers (2 & 3). I've had two guitars now with the 57 Classics, and the bridge pickup just doesn't quite do it for me. I haven't weighed mine, but it feels a little lighter than my Bonamassa Studio... still feels heavy and sturdy.

Well I have put guitar on lay away and I have decided to go with a desert burst that i played yesturday in the shop. It felt right the moment I got my hands on it. plugged it into a traynor amp just cause it was there at the time and It sounded great. I'm by no means an acomplished player, I play purely for the fun of it and this guitar reminded me of the reasons I started playing. It will be in my hands for good within the next 2 weeks. I will be sure to get picture up for you all to see as the flame on this is beautiful.

Thanks,

Dave

I've got an old Les Paul Studio Gem from 1997 but other than that never really liked Les Pauls. Too small of bodies for me I'm a bigger guy at 6'2". Plus unless you get a Historic the necks are kinda skimpy. This all changed when I by chance picked up a Traditional at a shop when waiting for the sales guy to fix a return for me. I couldn't believe it. The neck was as chunky if not chunkier than my 50s Telecaster reissues. It had to be Custom Shop... but no it was actually an affordable guitar. I keep hearing modern day Gibson sucks. But in my Traditional I got an 8.8 LBS non-weight relieved burst with a boat neck for the price of a guitar that I don't mind taking to crummy bars or abusing in the crappy midwest weather. I hate to go against the grain but this is the best guitar Gibson has made in a LONG time. You're going to love yours.

This is wierd. I literally went to GC today to get an amp cover and they had a desert burst one that just caught my attention. I pulled it down and it was AMAZING!!!! I wish you all the luck with it. Ps if you are in the USA in CT go play it. Arguably thee nicest one I've played! If this guitar determined my opinion of one I'd give it 5 stars!

Well I have put guitar on lay away and I have decided to go with a desert burst that i played yesturday in the shop. It felt right the moment I got my hands on it. plugged it into a traynor amp just cause it was there at the time and It sounded great. I'm by no means an acomplished player, I play purely for the fun of it and this guitar reminded me of the reasons I started playing. It will be in my hands for good within the next 2 weeks. I will be sure to get picture up for you all to see as the flame on this is beautiful.

Thanks,

Dave

Congrats Dave!! Post some pics when you take possession of her!! Good color choice, too...

DSC03324.jpg

I removed the pickguard on mine because the Desert Burst is too nice to hide!!

Archived