Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Variations

Gretschie

Hello, being a long time Tele and Strat player, I've got a hankerin' for a nice semi hollow body, and decided on and had the chance to test both the Gibson 339 and 335 and have decided to get a new 335, plain top with thin neck and 57' pickups.

Long and Mcquade in town in stock have a 335 Dot, plain top,, yet I really want the Block Inlays in Red in the base $3000-$3500 range, yet they tell me to get the block inlays, with the 57' pickups, I have to step up almost $2000 to get the blocks...yet the less costly 339 is available in either Dot or Blocks

I would like to know from if Gibson does not make the entry level model i'm after with block inlays,

I'd appreciate any help in letting me know if you might have seen the one i'm after in any Gibson shops, because some sites have them but with the probuckers,but not the 57's..please let me know, as I would like to know by the weekend in which direction I'll take..thank you

Dang, I found almost what you're looking for in January, except in my case its a red 2011 345. I got it dealer New Old Stock on Gbase for well under $3K. Thin (almost medium) neck profile, creamy 57 Classics, just perfect sound and balance, and looks beautiful from across the room and up close inspection. I know that's not the same guitar you're after, but I offer that as a hope that a block 335 might exist in your price range...at least a New Old Stock one.

Generally speaking, there are two grades of the ES-335. The standard production model which Gibson calls the "Gibson Custom", and the reissues, which Gibson calls the "Historic Series". There is a block-neck available in both lines (according to Gibson.com).

The difference in MSRP between a plain-top "dot" and a standard series "block" is less than $1200. This is nowhere near the $2000 you state in your original post, you must have been referencing the "Historic" model.

Take a look at the standard "Gibson Custom" model.

Generally speaking, there are two grades of the ES-335. The standard production model which Gibson calls the "Gibson Custom", and the reissues, which Gibson calls the "Historic Series". There is a block-neck available in both lines (according to Gibson.com).

The difference in MSRP between a plain-top "dot" and a standard series "block" is less than $1200. This is nowhere near the $2000 you state in your original post, you must have been referencing the "Historic" model.

Take a look at the standard "Gibson Custom" model.

What's the difference between a Custom model and a re issue?

Ian.

What's the difference between a Custom model and a re issue?

Ian.

About $2000 (rim shot please)!

The standard lines of ES guitars are made in the Memphis plant. Gibson states that the Memphis plant is operated under the "Custom Division", and therefore can claim that EVERY guitar made in the Memphis plant is a "Gibson Custom" model. This is nothing more than a marketing tool, these guitars are what I call "production models". I toured the Memphis plant and saw a guitar assembly line, not a "custom shop". Also, with it's location in downtown Memphis, near Beale St., the entire operation looked to me to be more of a tourist destination than a guitar factory.

The real "Custom Shop" is located at the Nashville plant (the Nashville plant is NOT open to the public). This is where the "Historic Series" reissues USED to be made. I believe it has been stated that ALL ES-3XX production has been moved to Memphis, I don't know if that's true or not.

Either way, there is a "standard" series, and a "reissue" series. It is thought (or assumed) that the reissues are built to "vintage" specifications using premium materials, by Gibson's finest craftsmen (and women). Again this could also be nothing but propaganda (especially if the reissues are now built in Memphis), but I can tell you that there was a MAJOR difference in the two lines when the reissues/historics were built in Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About $2000 (rim shot please)!

The standard lines of ES guitars are made in the Memphis plant. Gibson states that the Memphis plant is operated under the "Custom Division", and therefore can claim that EVERY guitar made in the Memphis plant is a "Gibson Custom" model. This is nothing more than a marketing tool, these guitars are what I call "production models". I toured the Memphis plant and saw a guitar assembly line, not a "custom shop". Also, with it's location in downtown Memphis, near Beale St., the entire operation looked to me to be more of a tourist destination than a guitar factory.

The real "Custom Shop" is located at the Nashville plant (the Nashville plant is NOT open to the public). This is where the "Historic Series" reissues USED to be made. I believe it has been stated that ALL ES-3XX production has been moved to Memphis, I don't know if that's true or not.

Either way, there is a "standard" series, and a "reissue" series. It is thought (or assumed) that the reissues are built to "vintage" specifications using premium materials, by Gibson's finest craftsmen (and women). Again this could also be nothing but propaganda (especially if the reissues are now built in Memphis), but I can tell you that there was a MAJOR difference in the two lines when the reissues/historics were built in Nashville.

I bought a 2012 Custom Shop 1959 Dot Historic Reissue from the Nashville plant. The story I got (from a Gibson Rep) was that all the ES bodies are made in Memphis on the original 1959 bending press. Some of the bodies are shipped to Nashville to be finished in the Custom Shop there. I payed a premium of about $1300 over the Memphis model. In all honesty, I don't know if it was worth it or not. I have played some Memphis models that are very impressive.

Wildwood Guitars has all models last I checked.

Tobacco-Burst-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Archived