Gibson Brands Forums

Who made you want to pickup a guitar

EthanBrackett

This is something that I always ask people, and its because i suppose it reminds me of when i first wanted to pickup a guitar. For me it was this video of Jimi Hendrix, I saw it on the E channel many years ago, I think i may have been about 8 years old when I saw this. and since then, I've always wanted to play, not only that but it made the 67 V my favorite guitar of all time, of course. I had no idea who this was, or the brand/model guitar was at the time. oddly enough, for christmas 2002, I got my first guitar, a Jay Turser Strat copy

SO, who made you wanna pickup a guitar?!

Guest Farnsbarns

Has it been 2 months already? Time for this one again?

[lol]

Sorry, Ethan, I'm just joshing. I know you've not been around long.

Born in 1973, it wasn't until the mid-to-late 80's that I really got into music. I would say that I first got my Squier Bullet because of Eddie Van Halen.

I wanted a honeyburst Les Paul because of Jimmy Page whom I idolized when learning how to play during my college years.

7th grade art class. The teacher brought in a new release LP for background while we did art stuff.

The new release was 'Dark Side of The Moon'.

So I guess the answer to your question is 'Gilmour'

The Beatles, then Ace Frehley.

This really a hard question because there were so many things involved. I grew up in a musical family, so I had a guitar in my hands and loved music before I even knew how to dress myself. You might say I was "born with it", but I don't know.

All I know is there was a Christmas morning, me at age 3 or 4 (I can't remember), a plastic toy guitar and "I Want To Hold Your Hand". The Beatles got me into music and sent me down that road.

But when it came to being a lead guitarist, it was Space Ace all the way (I became a KISS fan at 9 years old). I still have old school notebooks that have drawings of that cherry sunburst (or clownburst, rather) LP Custom with DiMarzios...One of the first guitars I coveted. When I finally got a cheap Epi LP in tobacco sunburst, I thought I was on top of the world cause' it was like Ace's tobacco sunburst Deluxe from the Alive! era. Of course, it wasn't, but for a 10 year old, it was pretty ****in' amazing.

I didn't realize it at the time...I was only 11. I thought it was Elvis Presley. Come to find out it was Scotty Moore. It really didn't matter who after that first time hearing that guitar sound. I was hooked and have been ever since that night on Milton Berle 1957. I've seen a lot of them come and go since.

The stereotypical Hendrix and Slash for me were my guitar idols at the time. My dad got me into rock music when I was a child so In some ways you could say that it was him who actually got me to pick up the guitar.

Well, after carrying a piano around for several years, I gave up and swapped for a guitar?

In a sense that's "true," although just a matter of metaphor. The guitar was seen by me as a perfect instrument in that it could be an entity to itself for solo, an accompaniment entity for vocals or another instrument, or a solo instrument in an ensemble.

So... it wasn't anybody or any "thing" beyond having had the opportunity to see classical, folk, rock and jazz type pickers in such ways that the guitar simply seemed the best, most versatile and portable...

m

Slash, then Angus, Gilmour, Hendrix, Page and many more since then..

I love finding new music and guitarists that inspire me to keep going and learn new things [thumbup]

My mum was the one that actually forced me to start learning when I was 12 so I guess you could say she gave me that extra push as if I didnt already know some guitar I doubt I would have picked it up so easy when I found rock and moved on to an elecrtic wanting to emulate my new heroes.

My dad, then Elvis, then Lonnie Mack, then the Ventures, then Johnny Rivers (it was actually Chuck Berry but I didn't know it at the time) then the Beatles, then John Foggerty, then ......

Archived