Gibson Brands Forums

What do you have that is expendable ?

merseybeat1963

If you have a few guitars there is usually some that fall on to your expendable list.

For me they fall in and out sometimes simply cause it aint done anything for me the last time I played it..often cause strings may be dead or due to weather neck blowed a touch

and it doesn't feel as flexible as it had been.Or simply from lack of use the top goes to sleep & needs to be played again to huff & puff.

For me it always seems to be one on the block that I can see selling off for a "better" one.

Right now, though I open the case and say wow every time, and I dig the V Neck,Waverlys & low end rumbley sound..the Martin Custom Shop D42 I ordered is still the most likely.

I think Im just bored of the Martin Rosewood sound.

I have a couple of Persian carpets on ebay that are a little more expendale though : }

Right now my 000-28 custom is with with CFM for 'assessment' ? repair.

I am thinking of selling it and getting a B-25, LG-1 or LG-2.

Am I crazy? It is very unlikely that I will get to try before buy,

so I read your reviews carefully!

I just sold off my Rickenbacker 360 and a little Dean resonator. Both didn't get played very much and I decided I could use the money. I need to buy a new drum sander and outfit my shop with some new high output florescent lites. I have a few other guitars I will probably part with that just don't get played much.

The only 3 guitars I would not part with are my Gibson LG-0 with the X Bracing, Martin EMP-1 (only 600 made) and my Fender Telecaster (smooth as butter).

Other than those three, the rest are expendable.

Still in the fetal position from selling my 60's blonde Guild electric to pay property taxes. Better to treasure the land and home, of course. Now I'm down to it. No expendibles. My old Gibson and Martin flattops, and an Oahu type lap slide are plenty to fill my hands and time. Couldn't live w/o an electric in the house so I blew 51 bucks on a 2 yr. old Epi LP Special, which amazingly sounds and plays just fine.

The downhill slide continues. Played many and loved them all. Made a few bucks too. Now I'm gassing for this one. Love these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/171016021056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 Thankful that it's overpriced by a few hundred dollars.

I have a 2005 Santa Cruz D/PW that I got new in '06. Along the way though I learned that I prefer mahogany guitars and then I got a J-50 and made a hard turn onto Gibson Lane. So I never play the SC and I loan it to guys I play with that like rosewood dreads just to keep it alive and kicking. The top has aged to a nice pumpkin brown and it really is a killer guitar but it just doesn't ring my bell. Anyone want to buy it, send me a PM.

I know myself well and know I go on binges with certain kinds of guitars. Never sure how long it will last. As of late it has been larger body ladder braced guitars. So I sit there and find myself thinking that something like an LG-2 sounds downright anemic when compared to them. So essentially my '46 LG-2 has become expendable.

But then I sit and recall how many Banner through later 1940s LG-2s I have held in my hands and always thinking nope, not as much meat on their bones as the one I own. I know the guitar has not changed. It is just my mood. So I have also learned to never act impulsively when picking out what should go in a trade for something else. What I have found is that more often as not when I take whatever guitar that has fallen out of favor out of its case after an extended period of being ignored I find myself muttering - what the heck was I thinking, this is a great flippin' guitar.

Poney.. the old style 000 are pretty...too bad Martin does not replicate the sound of the old ones.

Jedzep..a damn sin that a person should have to sell his guitars to pay property taxes.Definately not the Founding Fathers idea of what this country was ment to be.

Yep...never ran out of work 'til this year. The bad $$ news is finally 'trickling down' to me. Spring, however, should see the building trades come to life. Happy with my guitars. Been playing the hell out of T Petty's, 'The Waiting'.

I know myself well and know I go on binges with certain kinds of guitars. Never sure how long it will last. As of late it has been larger body ladder braced guitars. So I sit there and find myself thinking that something like an LG-2 sounds downright anemic when compared to them. So essentially my '46 LG-2 has become expendable.

But then I sit and recall how many Banner through later 1940s LG-2s I have held in my hands and always thinking nope, not as much meat on their bones as the one I own. I know the guitar has not changed. It is just my mood. So I have also learned to never act impulsively when picking out what should go in a trade for something else. What I have found is that more often as not when I take whatever guitar that has fallen out of favor out of its case after an extended period of being ignored I find myself muttering - what the heck was I thinking, this is a great flippin' guitar.

Very astute, zomboid! Good advice for dealing with the 'impulsive' brain.

This is easy. What's expendable?

My wife's piano... [biggrin]

There are no Gibsons on the short list, but I might be willing to off-load the Martin CSN, just doesn't get much playing time, but its too nice a guitar... maybe next year.

I'm pondering...maybe I'm ponderous too. That would be bad. But I've realized that expendability relates only to economy. If I had the cashish to have kept every guitar I've owned I'd be clicking my heels with joy...as far as my double hernia would allow.

Defintely my Ovation Elite 2778LX, the Takamine TF250 and the Taylor Koa Custom C2 T5.

Maybe my D28 Elvis, still debating on that one.

Maybe my '53 J50. I haven't yet attached myself to it.

Mother those are nice guitars you got there.

Dave looks like everything is potentially on the block dude : )

Jed..The economic down fall for us happened a few years ago..Ive spent the last few years with my head in the sand/guitars..I fear when I pull it out, what I'll be faced with.

They are all expendable - just a tool for guitar playin'....

but I may not want to expend any!

BluesKing777.

(EA - put that Martin 00-15 in Open G Tuning before you sell it off (DGDGBD) and strum some open string mahogany and run a slide down those strings!)

My 2002 Tacoma DK14 is definitely expendable (I think it's going up for sale soon). My Epi Masterbilt AJ500M is my backup stage guitar, so it will become expendable when I can't perform anymore.Thankfully, it looks like I'm gonna be able to hang on to my 3 Gibsons until the end.

I'm thinking of thinning the electrics. I simply don't see myself gigging bars again, not like I did for 35 plus years. I actually consider selling the ES-339 from time to time.

I even think about selling the 61 Melody Maker but wonder if I'd hate myself later.

Everything has its price, but for me to let go of anything I have now, someone would have to really overpay.

That starts another question...

Does everything really have a price..I mean within reason.

Is there anything in instruments that within reason..for you..which there is no price?

It really isn't about price for me, as when I bought my herd I considered them worthwhile, and now I have no reason to dispose of any of them. However, the Galveston resonator I would give away, and the little Larrivee parlor only gets played on plane trip vacations.

That starts another question...

Does everything really have a price..I mean within reason.

Is there anything in instruments that within reason..for you..which there is no price?

Ultimately, everything has a price, unless you have so much money that it means nothing to you. I love most of my guitars, and have no desire to part with them, but chances are that whatever you have, there is another one like it somewhere.

I would struggle to part with the late-40's J-45 that I've had for 45+ years, but I suppose everything has a price, if push comes to shove. Just don't know what that price would be, but it would be far more than any rational person would be willing to pay for it.......

Over the years, I haven't had too much of a problem with getting rid of guitars that weren't seeing too much playing time. But, this isn't exactly a great time to be a seller so I haven't been given such questions too much thought as of late. If I were to part with a guitar that I currently own, it would probably be either my 2007 Custom Shop Birdseye AJ or my 2009 Martin 000-18 GE. I simply wouldn't think of selling either my 2008 J-45 TV or my 2006 AJRI. I also own a National Delphi that isn't going anywhere.

Ultimately, everything has a price, unless you have so much money that it means nothing to you. I love most of my guitars, and have no desire to part with them, but chances are that whatever you have, there is another one like it somewhere.

I would struggle to part with the late-40's J-45 that I've had for 45+ years, but I suppose everything has a price, if push comes to shove. Just don't know what that price would be, but it would be far more than any rational person would be willing to pay for it.......

Not really...not everything has a price.

Some people just don't love money so much that it is the ultimate dictator for them...and that person need not be wealthy.

Im not talklin starving for food situations or sell me that thing and its a scene out of the Godfather..

Those are extreme unusual situations..

a Greek Concert Pianist we knew an old lady..her father directly gave the familys Bechenstein Piano to get them some meat during the war in Athens.

She remembers her father crying bitterly and the day they came to take it out.

Maybe its that I just don't like the statement when I hear it.

As It is only true in the most base way.

Archived