Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone learned to play harmonica?

livemusic

I found a plastic box in Canadian Tire(a Canadian hardware/automotive chain) that was meant for storing small objects, but it just happens to fit 6 ten hole diatonic harps. It also fits in a guitar or banjo case. I have tried to label my harps by key, straight and cross to facilitate quick changes on stage, even in low light. You can see the bend I have made in order for the harp to hit my mouth at right angles.

post-55853-016535300 1391391225_thumb.jpg

I've managed to teach myself thanks to the limited notes available and only really work on texture and tone since melodies are fairly simple. If you are trying to play 'Dylanesque' fill-ins I'd suggest you select the wrong harp ( key of D for D ) and move immediately to the treble side. Then inhale and exhale randomly, aiming for the the most piercing part of your harps register. Voila!

Though I've been fooling around with the harp for years ( sometimes it takes the attention off my average guitar skills ), I only recently found out that they make 'low-tuned' harmonicas. DUUUH! I was always envious and baffled when I heard growly low blues harp playing. Finally figured it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Harmonica-Set-Seydel-Blues-Session-w-Case-Low-Tuned-/350330188921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51914e7479

How dopey am I?

What do you mean by this?

Amusing Anecdote

I was self taught approximately 40 years ago on a Marine Band. Not very well, I might add. Lost that one, not owned one since.

Flash forward. We got one of our grand kids a little yellow plastic one at The Dollar Store.

A dozen or so of us sitting around, watching TV, the grill, who needs another beer as an excuse for me to go get myself one. You know.

So, the 5 year old makes a face when she blows into the wrong side. And I can see some of our kids as parents think a dollar store harmonica is a joke gift.

So, I have her hand it over and play "Clementine" pretty much note-perfect. You could have heard a pin drop!

No one, our 4 kids, or even my wife knew I could play the harmonica.

Of course, I can't, but it's always good to keep them guessing.

I've played harp off and on for some 50 years. As others have said, playing melodies and short breaks is not particularly hard. Playing well is another matter--Listen to Sonny Terry, and you'll realize just how expressive harp can be. And how difficult. I've only recently spent a little bit of time trying to actually play, rather than just blow on, the harmonica. But if you get really serious it can intrude on guitar time.

There is lots of instructional material on the web and quite a few good forums. Some I've used are:

Harmonica Club

Harmonica Space

Harmonica

There are several sites (referrals within the above) that offer extensive training in text and video formats.

Back in the '60s I did a batch of harp stuff. San Francisco Bay Blues was great fun for guitar and a harp rack with harp and kazoo. I think I could still handle the kazoo, <grin> but I don't think I've really played a harp since I did one gig with Fuller's piece in the fall of '65 at a college folk festival.

I've had my copy of Niles - and of course Lomax, since '64. The hardbound Lomax is totally worn with pages potentially falling out even though I haven't touched it in probably 20 years.

I'll definitely agree about the hidden power of the Carters.

But I think it was more than just the music and style and "fixing up" of some of the words.

I met Mother Maybelle around '66 when I was set for an interview with Johnny Cash. Let's just put it this way to keep from getting into the whole story again here, the woman was an angel and I freely admit I was a kid (20 I think) in awe and still am about who and what she was as a person.

In the '70s I worked with a lotta "old time" fiddlers who were pretty similar, who enjoyed entertaining, enjoyed the old music and enjoyed the company of other musicians who would/could work with their style. May they still be fiddlin' and pickin' in somebody's kitchen 'stedda havin' to use St. Peter's harp on some cloud.

m

Archived