Gibson Brands Forums

Who uses 80/20 Strings instead of Ph.Bronze..Why?

merseybeat1963

Just finished expounding above, but I'm with duluthdan on the 80/20's. PB's on a slope shoulder just don't cut it with me. I think it might be more how the string ages and 80/20's just break in so nicely to my ears. I tell you, a very underrated string is the D'Angelico Bronze Wound. Great tone and good life for a great price. Took me awhile to come over to the 80/20 side though. The fingerstyle guy I play with got me into them.

Tried them on my OM-21 with my last string change.

I found it brightens up the darker sound rosewood usually has.

Overtones are still present ,but the sound is brighter.I like em ....

Don't think I would like them on a mahogany guitar.

I always used PB strings for many years - Then I bought these

DV019_Jpg_Regular_712634.jpg

Because they were cheap and on sale. I haven't looked back. I definitely prefer 80/20, and probably D'Addario.

I now use 80/20s on pretty much everything. 20 years ago I went through a period of searching -- eventually I decided I liked uncoated 80/20s best for mahogany and it was a tie for RW. I now buy Martin bulk strings and change them often

I think it is a aquired taste -- don't expect agreement.

_

Best,

-Tom

I use 80/20 on every guitar, Rosewood, Mahogany, Carbon Fiber, and Maple. PB's are muddy and dull sounding to me, and they interfere with the natural sound of the woods, as well as interfere with the clarity of the actual notes struck. The 80/20's are just cleaner, clearer, brighter. I use elixir 80/20 nanoweb lights on all my 6 acoustics. [thumbup]

Picked up 80/20 Elixir's today...also DR Rare(no Sunbeam)...and Ernie Ball Super Slinky PB (was lookin for EarthWood as Steve recommends but neither store had them).

Put Ernie Ball PB .011-.052 Strings on Martin D and there is no loss of volume dispite slightly lower gauge...sounds mellow & better than all T.Infeld(Super Dull)...EXP PB(Brassy & Metallic)..ElixirNano PB( Uninteresting) Newtone Master Class(dull)

And they feel good too.

I'm lookin for the best strings and the common Ernie Ball blows all those pricey ones away ?

Anyway the archetype (per description of species) Phospher Bronze Strings, but Id prefer Brighter so Im lookin forwards to trying the Earthwound.

I wonder how they will last...?

Picked up 80/20 Elixir's today...also DR Rare(no Sunbeam)...and Ernie Ball Super Slinky PB (was lookin for EarthWood as Steve recommends but neither store had them).

Put Ernie Ball PB .011-.052 Strings on Martin D and there is no loss of volume dispite slightly lower gauge...sounds mellow & better than all T.Infeld(Super Dull)...EXP PB(Brassy & Metallic)..ElixirNano PB( Uninteresting) Newtone Master Class(dull)

And they feel good too.

I'm lookin for the best strings and the common Ernie Ball blows all those pricey ones away ?

Anyway the archetype (per description of species) Phospher Bronze Strings, but Id prefer Brighter so Im lookin forwards to trying the Earthwound.

I wonder how they will last...?

Loaded question! But, I've tried them all and I always end up going back to Earthwoods.

Steve (HG)

Archived