Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Guitar Comparison

Arc Anjil

Hi guys.

Need a little help wrapping my head around this. Back in February I bought a new Epi LP Standard Pro Plustop on sale $419 USD. I had been playing a Fender Starcaster a friend gave me. It's the one that comes in a Starter/Beginner pack with amp, strap, cable and gig bag. The guitar is probably worth no more than $50. I play them on a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

Here's the problem: the cheap Fender knockoff actually sounds better than LP!! Tone, sustain, etc, whatever. The Fender just sounds better (except for clean stuff). I've tried the LP pickups up, I've tried them down. I've played with the pole screws.

I don't get it. This LP with split-coil ProBuckers should be blowing the Fender out of the water. I mean, it should be embarrassing it!!

The only thing I can think of right now is strings (but I doubt that is it). The Fender has GHS Boomers GBL strings (10-46) and the LP has had OEM, Ernie Ball R&R Super Slinky's and is now wearing D'addario EXP's. I have another set of GHS Boomers I'll going to try on the LP.

Anyway, what the heck? Why is this cheap Fender knockoff blowing away the way more expensive Epi LP?

Hi guys.

Need a little help wrapping my head around this. Back in February I bought a new Epi LP Standard Pro Plustop on sale $419 USD. I had been playing a Fender Starcaster a friend gave me. It's the one that comes in a Starter/Beginner pack with amp, strap, cable and gig bag. The guitar is probably worth no more than $50. I play them on a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

Here's the problem: the cheap Fender knockoff actually sounds better than LP!! Tone, sustain, etc, whatever. The Fender just sounds better (except for clean stuff). I've tried the LP pickups up, I've tried them down. I've played with the pole screws.

I don't get it. This LP with split-coil ProBuckers should be blowing the Fender out of the water. I mean, it should be embarrassing it!!

The only thing I can think of right now is strings (but I doubt that is it). The Fender has GHS Boomers GBL strings (10-46) and the LP has had OEM, Ernie Ball R&R Super Slinky's and is now wearing D'addario EXP's. I have another set of GHS Boomers I'll going to try on the LP.

Anyway, what the heck? Why is this cheap Fender knockoff blowing away the way more expensive Epi LP?

Have you had the LP set-up at all and the pick-ups adjusted?

What is the gauge of the strings, they also make a big difference in the sound

ArGo [biggrin]

I was a single guitar (Fender Strat) owner for a long time. When I finally bought a guitar with humbuckers, it sounded bad to me also.

I had to change the way I set the amp for the humbucker equipped guitar, but once I did I found sounds that were not easy to get with the Strat.

Your amp is still the quickest way to get a major tone change. Second is the guitar.

Single coil and humbuckers are different animals. Work with them for a while and you will find the tone you want.

I put the GHS Boomers on the LP last night and there was a slight improvement, but I think I'll go back to the EB R&R all nickel strings. I did not like the D'addario EXP's.

As for the gauge, I've tried 9's and 10's on the LP. !0's are on it now (and the Strat, too, to "fatten up" it's sound, so to speak).

A GC tech did a setup on it when I bought it, but the bottom is "bass-y" and the top is "plucky", which is why I tried adjusting the pole screws for strings 3 and 4.

IDK, maybe I just have a bad pair of ProBuckers. I'll probably replace them with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's in the near future. Then we'll see.

Weird though, that the cheap, and I mean "cheap", Starcaster sounds better.

Hi guys.

Maybe because of your ears. Once again a sweeping all encompassing statement based on purely individual taste and preferences. If you don't like the sound and you have done all you can to correct it then maybe the guitar isn't right for you. Tone is subject to the listener's ears and what sounds great to you may sound like crap to someone else.

I don't think I recall hearing anyone describe the sound Hendrix got from a Strat as thin and tinny.

Add a fuzz box, a Marshall stack or two a generous helping of LSD and stir. There is more to tone than the guitar. It is only one component in the signal chain. I would love to know what the bashers and complainers use for amps.

I was a single guitar (Fender Strat) owner for a long time. When I finally bought a guitar with humbuckers, it sounded bad to me also.

I had to change the way I set the amp for the humbucker equipped guitar, but once I did I found sounds that were not easy to get with the Strat.

Your amp is still the quickest way to get a major tone change. Second is the guitar.

Single coil and humbuckers are different animals. Work with them for a while and you will find the tone you want.

Exactly. There are multiple components in the guitar signal chain. Each guitar and amp and pickup and string has its own characteristics and are not easily transferrable or wven compatible. On Friday night I played my Strat with a SD JB HB and played my LP with a SD Alnico II. I started with the Strat and it sounded awesome. I then playd my LP with the same amp settings and it sounded terrible. After reworking the amp controls I was able to get the tones I want from an LP. The JB is high output pup and sounds great for heavy stuff but those amp settings sucked for the LP. I troubleshoot for a living and have learned there is a process to finding a solution and it rarely is the first thing or even my most complicated thing you think of but it takes time none the less. Be patient even though the end result ma be the same but at least you tried.

I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with all kinds of amp EQ's (that's what I call them) and FX's. I've tried a variety of things and except for clean stuff, the Strat has thicker, more vibrant tone.

I have been working on the Peavey to get a good working tone for the LP and have come pretty close. Then, for grins (and because I haven't played it in a while), I picked up the Fender and it just sang - at the settings for the LP!

I've played Les Pauls exclusively my whole life, only tried other guitars a few times, but never owned anything but LP's, so I know what they sound like (or should).

I was just asking to see if anyone else was not completely happy with their ProBuckers or had a similar problem and worked out a solution. Understand, the LP does not sound bad. I just expected more from a much more expensive guitar.

I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with all kinds of amp EQ's (that's what I call them) and FX's. I've tried a variety of things and except for clean stuff, the Strat has thicker, more vibrant tone.

I have been working on the Peavey to get a good working tone for the LP and have come pretty close. Then, for grins (and because I haven't played it in a while), I picked up the Fender and it just sang - at the settings for the LP!

I've played Les Pauls exclusively my whole life, only tried other guitars a few times, but never owned anything but LP's, so I know what they sound like (or should).

I was just asking to see if anyone else was not completely happy with their ProBuckers or had a similar problem and worked out a solution. Understand, the LP does not sound bad. I just expected more from a much more expensive guitar.

Well it sounds like you may have a system, set up for the LP and the Strat will follow.

I have picked up a guitar after not playing it for a while and found that it sounded great so I get where that is coming from. Thats not to say the opposite hasn't happened too. I still think equating a subjective trait like sound has its limitations. If you don't like something there isn't any easy way to fix it. I do find it interesting for a single coil strat sounds thicker than a HB LP at the same settings.

Sometimes amps have too many settings and eqs and effects and with so many variables dialing in what you are after gets even more complicated. They always say to keep it simple. Good luck.

I don't think I recall hearing anyone describe the sound Hendrix got from a Strat as thin and tinny.

His Marshall Plexi and Fuzzface had a lot to do with it. Some guys know how to EQ Strats, like Jimi, Trower, Blackmore, Healey, etc. They sounded great. The majority of Strat owners have no clue how to EQ them. There is no model of guitar that sounds so bad, so often, than a Strat in the wrong hands.

His Marshall Plexi and Fuzzface had a lot to do with it. Some guys know how to EQ Strats, like Jimi, Trower, Blackmore, Healey, etc. They sounded great. The majority of Strat owners have no clue how to EQ them. There is no model of guitar that sounds so bad, so often, than a Strat in the wrong hands.

Yes they were able to dial it in for sure. I am not a fan of single coil strats and always found the volume control to be where my pinky resides during play and I kept hitting it. I bought one of the two HB Japanese strats with the Floyd Rose back in the 80s. It is the best player in the bunch still.

Your amp is still the quickest way to get a major tone change. Second is the guitar. Single coil and humbuckers are different animals. Work with them for a while and you will find the tone you want.

Gordy, that's exactly what I found too. Used singles for many years and then got an SG clone and struggled with HBs - awesome power but I was used to clean (I use a Fender amp) even though I wanted that growl/crunch I really struggled with the degree of change. I agree with you about working via the amp first. Utimately I ended up using them based on the song so one didn't end up replacing the other - perhaps that might be what you find too Arc.

as an aside - I find the Epiphone mini-HB to be exceptional for all tones and do not feel it is a comprimise or an 'allrounder' at all.

Good luck with it Arc! (if all else fails maybe get a trusted expert to have a look just to make sure everything's as it should be while under warranty)

Gordy01 in post #6 nailed it. Adjust the amp. Also don't forget the "bright" switch if your amp has it. Every time I switch from a Tele to a LP, the amp needs very different settings without sounding either muddy or screechy. And... well guitars are individual and one LP is different from every other LP.

Well, thanks for help, all.

I've contacted the guitar tech at the GC I bought it at and I'm going to take it in for him to look at. It just should not have as muddy a bottom and the chords should be clearer.

I'm still going to swap out the pups for something else, might even go with 50's-style wiring or the Jimmy Page wiring, IDK.

Hey, Cheapshoes, you know anyone that goes by the online name "CheapSHADES", like maybe in TDU? [biggrin]

Archived