Gibson Brands Forums

LP vs SG

CyanShayan

i 've had an SG and currently have a studio LP. i like the LP better, but only because i think it has a deeper resonance, that fits my playing style. i found the SG to be brighter, almost strat like.

...which is better, a les paul or a SG?...

This is in the SG section too, I trust?.......[wink]

My preference is for the LP. I've never found an SG which balanced 'right' on a strap.

I love the look of the SG - especially with the proper bevels. Very Tasty.

I like the idea of better upper-fret access on an SG.

I think an SG with '57 Classics will sound pretty much identical to a LP with the same; especially in a 'Live' situation.

But I've never owned one because they are, IMHO, too neck-heavy to be comfortable. Doubly so for those with Grovers.

P.

The only SG I've owned which is nicely balanced is my Classic - it has a slim neck (and P90s). It's a beautiful guitar, and great for lead work... but my Les Paul has humbuckers and I personally prefer it.

have both and love 'em both. The sg for the lightweight body , twin cutaway and it's a very comfortable guitar to play both standing and sitting , that neck heavy thing have never bothered me. The les paul for the rich sound and killer sustain, the weight don't bother me but its not so comfortable to play sitting as the sg.

I really don't think it's an accurate comparison between an LP and an SG. I personally like my LP's for more classic rock and blues tunes and the SG for hard rock. I've always believed that if anyone could combine the ease of handling and playability of an SG with the legendary tone of an LP they would have made the ultimate guitar.

They are both different beasts and both fill a niche in guitar playing and music. I would not want to be without either guitar, and I consider myself darn lucky and very happy to have both

Well they are both mahogany bodies, and both can be had with the same neck profile, and pickups but they will always sound a little different. It is not a question of which is "better". They each have their own place. Ultimately I think the LP is a little more versatile - you can go to the neck pickup on a LP and back off the tone and get some pretty jazzy tones, especially since they are all weight relieved now and have chambers. You're not going to get much jazz tone out of an SG. Probably has a lot to do with the maple cap on a LP too. But as mentioned above for heavier type music where you really want screaming leads and need to get way up on the neck - that's where you want the SG.

Many factors to consider not the least of which is the weight of them and how long you need to stand there and play it, as well as the price - but if money is not a factor I'd have to say the LP offers a little more.

This is in the SG section too, I trust?.......[wink]

My preference is for the LP. I've never found an SG which balanced 'right' on a strap.

I love the look of the SG - especially with the proper bevels. Very Tasty.

I like the idea of better upper-fret access on an SG.

I think an SG with '57 Classics will sound pretty much identical to a LP with the same; especially in a 'Live' situation.

But I've never owned one because they are, IMHO, too neck-heavy to be comfortable. Doubly so for those with Grovers.

P.

Pippy, go try a new SG "Original!" Mine is NOT 'neck heavy," at all...and is a JOY to play, and behold!

The best one, in years...IMHO. And, it comes stock, with '57's, as well. [biggrin]

My '61 Satin Finish SG is equally awesome, in it's own right, and not neck heavy, either. LOVE the

Beveling and tapered horns, on these new models...including the new 2013 Standard! Kudo's to Gibson!

BTW...I love Les Paul's, as well! [thumbup]

CB

They produce very different sounds:

LP: Powerful bass. So powerful that it's hard to get a clear pitch. Usually, it's loud and muffled. (The Bypass on the newest LP's clear up the overwhelming bass.) Mids and highs have a certain sparkle, due to the maple top.

SG: Bass is much more clear and doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs. Tonally very even from bass to mids to highs. mids and highs doesn't have the same sparkle as the LP's, since SG's are usually made of all mahogany. There's some sparkle, but not nearly as much as the LP's.

I like both guitars, but I acknowledge the SG's produce clearer notes. LP's produce thick sounds.

Pippy, go try a new SG "Original!" Mine is NOT 'neck heavy," at all...and is a JOY to play, and behold!

The best one, in years...IMHO. And, it comes stock, with '57's, as well. [biggrin]

Hi C.B.

Yes, I love your new SGs. Very, very nice.

I might try one out simply to check whether my views are still accurate but I doubt I could justify yet another guitar!

But then again, I'm considering selling-off three of the LPs so replacing that lot with just one SG might not be such a ridiculous idea..........:-k

P.

I have one of both. Albeit the SG is an Epiphone and LP is Gibson. I use the LP more since it is the better made guitar (gibson) but if i had a gibson SG i'd imagine the time would be split more between them.

The first guitar I ever bought, back in the 80's was a Westbury Standard that I bought at a yard sale. Back in the 80's the internet was not as accessible to everyone so if you wanted to know what kind of guitar you had, you had to find one in a store or a picture of it in a book. The closest two guitars to what I had that I could find anywhere were features from both an SG and an LP. The Standard is an offset double cutaway, 2 humbucker, mahogany flattop with DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge and PAF neck pickups.

Google pics of Standard

I've since had an Epi SG and LP junior and I now have a Gibson LP that I love. I sold both Epi guitars, but I still have the Westbury Standard and it more than meets any desire I have for an SG, but the Gibson LP just has something intrinsically different that I can't get out of any of my other humbucker guitars.

Must have both! The upper fret access is a huge benefit of the SG.

Agreed. It doesn't come better than an SG.

The best way to treat the "neck heaviness" of an SG is a guitar strap with a suede backing. It doesn't move on your shoulder.

IMO there's no better one verses the other - they are different, each one has it's high points.

Like Rich (RCT) says, "it's a matter of which one do we play today"

One thing tho.. after three or four hours of standing with an LP hanging off your shoulder, you will appreciate the comfort of the SG.

If you use the right strap (as already mentioned, eg: thick suede strap which offers more resistance when snugged up against the material of your shirt, uhm, if you wear a shirt! LOL!) you'll get no neck dive like Pippy mentions.

If I don't use the right strap, (Nylon for example), it can be factor for sure.

The other SG plus is the upper fret access which is superior on an SG hands down.

I do find the tone of my SG standard to be a bit narrower (hmm, is that the right word?) when compared to my LP. Which with the same array of pickups (490t/490r) I think offer me a wider range of tonality. (just my personal take, and how I run my tone/volume controls... etc.) OTOH the SGs cut right thru the mix a bit more effectively, (tonal centers are just a bit more focused. again, my ears and interpreting what I hear)

In the case of the SG classic with the p90s, that sucker sounds just down right nasty. (In a good way) I love P90s, -- who doesn't?

At the end of the day, it's really a matter of taste and style, but just so you know you're sure about it,, have at least one of each! [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns
Ultimately I think the LP is a little more versatile - you can go to the neck pickup on a LP and back off the tone and get some pretty jazzy tones, especially since they are all weight relieved now and have chambers.

They aren't/don't. Traditionals are now solid, as are reissues. Weight relief, as opposed to chambering, has no effect on sound, or at least none that I, or anyone I know of can hear.

I prefer an LP but I like an SG too. I have an epi SG although it is in the care of my nephew these days. My LP absolutely sings, I thought I might have to do the unthinkable and sell her but the decision to go and work for someone else again has meant I can keep her. The best collection of wood and wire ever to have left the gibson factory!

So i see people prefer the LP. I personally love LP's just cause it feels right. For my first guitar, i went to guitarguitar and tried out tons of guitars but then i played the LP and it just spoke to me. I like SG's too but it just doesnt feel real.

Cyan

Archived