Gibson Brands Forums

Have any of you used thomastik-infeld strings????

onewilyfool

The T-Infeld 'Spectrums' were great J45 strings! My one complaint was that the 6th string was a touch heavy. I think I used 11's but didn't like the low E going to 56's. I would never pay 18 bucks regularly for strings, but I found a great bulk deal and loved the immediate break-in tone they supplied. No 'ringy' to tame transition period. Six mos. of stable tone qualities. Never found that deal again so I'm back to ol' reliable DR's and Dunlop 80/20's.

The Spectrum strings are really nice. They DO last a lot longer. They sound sweet right out of the package.

The Plectrum strings, to me, fall into the silk & steel feel. Somewhat more muted tone, very soft feel. Had them on my 'Bird and it wasn't a good match. It loved the Spectrums though.

An arch-top with a Jazz set? Perfect, imo.

Yep, Ive used them as they are made in Austria and quite cheap here in Czech Republic.

The spectrums have a warmm tone right from the start, no breaking in period required. The tone is really high quality, something about those strings that gets sound out of your guitar that others dont. Total opposite to Elxers, in a good way.

The only problem I had personally with them is that I found they went dead incredibly fast, in particular the low E and A strings started to sound like spaghetti after a week, which is a real pity.

They are definitely worth trying, even at $20 as they do bring something to the table that other strings dont.

Hi There,For what it's worth

I just bought a set of Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum bronze 10 gauge for the very 1st time 10-14-22-30-41-50 Having just bought a second hand Gibson ADv Jumbo I wanted to put new strings on her. I liked the idea of having a slightly heavier 6th string than the D'Addario 10's that I normally bought. The Thomastik-Infeld look like a very well engineered string (nearly German) and sound really good They cost £14 in Scotland so that must be about $25 or so...not cheap. Obviously time will tell how long they will last, but my theory is that if you have a really great guitar, there's no point skimping on the strings!

www.thomastik-infeld.com

Yep, Ive used them as they are made in Austria and quite cheap here in Czech Republic.

The spectrums have a warmm tone right from the start, no breaking in period required. The tone is really high quality, something about those strings that gets sound out of your guitar that others dont. Total opposite to Elxers, in a good way.

The only problem I had personally with them is that I found they went dead incredibly fast, in particular the low E and A strings started to sound like spaghetti after a week, which is a real pity.

They are definitely worth trying, even at $20 as they do bring something to the table that other strings dont.

I use both the Spectrums (on my now-gone Walker Clark Fork/AJ) and the Plectrum (on my Martin Jorma Sig). Love the strings, but pricey.

I'll be driving thru Austria this summer (Innsbruck to Venice) -maybe I'll check out prices in Österreich!

One thing I recommend if you are auditioning strings on various guitars..

When putting them on,dont cut them..you can make excess into a tidy loop so they are out of the way.

After trying them on one guitar you dont have to buy another pack (or two)..and can in a few days move them to another guitar

if you find they dont go with the guitar you've put them on.

If its a set of $11-20 strings its sensible to be reluctant to to buy a set for each guitar.

Good. EA, can you send me some???

Wiley..I know I recommended them as a mellow string after a stint on my J200 for a few days, but I just put them on my Martin D42...and please forgive me for leading you down the wrong path..these strings really suck.

That J200 is a special thing and they sounded ok on that guitar for first couple of days but on this Mad.Rosewood/Adi Martin they sound like guitar strings made of cloth. Dull and D E A D.

Don't waste the cash.They maybe built good but on a scale of 1-10 they get a 3. Mucho ka ka.

I apologize.

• 3 years later...

You folks crack me up! You're willing to spend $2,000 on a guitar, but not $20 to make it sound its best.

Seriously, I understand wanting to save money. But the difference between Thomastik-Inkfeld's and D'Addario J-17s is about $12. The difference between T-I's and coated strings is about $5. So, unless $5-$10 is going to keep you from eating (and I do understand that that is definitely the case for some...) buy the ones that sound best.

It's clear from these responses that you either like them or you don't. I just put them on my Collings 001 and they're perfect. My Collings is an incredible guitar, but the high end is louder and brighter than any acoustic guitar I've ever owned. It NEEDS these strings. I would never put them on my dreadnought, but they make my little guitar sing.

I have used them and like them a lot. I have tried both the Plectrum and the Spectrum versions. I find that they don't have that brassy, metallic tone some strings suffer from. They are more mellow and very musical, I think. I live in Sweden and these strings are a little pricier here than others, but not insanely so.

Lars

Archived