Gibson Brands Forums

Hubble

daveinspain

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're really upset about this aren't you? Though I'm not sure why. I considered majoring in engineering, specifically computer engineering, but I have a greater passion for space and science than I do for computers. While I enjoy working on computers and building them, I would rather spend my life studying astrophysics. Besides, there are plenty of job opportunities out there for someone with a degree in physics. You make it sound like a worthless degree.

Engineers always have a kind of healthy competition going on with pure scientists. It's because engineers run the world and Neil couldn't run a lemonade stand, so engineers get jealous that lay people think that pure scientists are brilliant when the engineers are toiling away with all the responsibility but none of the glory. It's nothing unusual or that unhealthy.

Like Rocketman says, the Physics kids are smarter, but the engineering students will be the ones running the world for the next thirty years. They're not as smart but they work way harder. If you are at an engineering school, you realize that. The physics students will be fighting over the acedemic jobs while the students who progressed to engineering will be able to pursue a career in most any field.

When you have an engineering degree, you can go on to be most anything. When you have a pure science degree, your options are severely limited in comparison. Kids don't realize this until it's too late.

When you have an engineering degree, you can go on to be most anything. When you have a pure science degree, your options are severely limited in comparison. Kids don't realize this until it's too late.

Or you could be like Paul Dirac - engineer first then genius physicist later!

Hopefully it means that qualified students are majoring in engineering instead of business and law to satisfy a job market need for well paid engineers.

Unfortunately the quality has gone down. SAT and high school averages have NO correlation to how well kids will do in engineering school. Everything is pretty spoon fed to them in K-12. We actually want them to THINK (heaven forbid we do something that awful to them!!).

We'll see how many from the Freshman year make it into Junior year. Last semester 50% of the kids in our basic Statics course failed. The trend is not good.

Hopefully it means that qualified students are majoring in engineering instead of business and law to satisfy a job market need for well paid engineers.

My ex gf is a chemical engineer (bachelors) and can't find a job. Her best friend has a masters in chemical engineering and can't find a job.

An education that has no application is not wasted, but it all depends on what your plans are. My mom was a trophy wife and before that she had been a lounge singer. She went to music conservatory after prep school, became a pianist and then never played again afterwards. Basically, she was good at talking to people at parties and making herself and her house really pretty. Her education was not wasted, she made her husbands proud.

I like knowing that in the event of some major $hit hitting the fan...I can help (nurse Izzy ready for gore [thumbup] )

I'm not smarter than an astrophysicist, and I respect abstract thinkers, but in terms of social value.....Heck, I read loads of literature and go to museums, is there anything less useful than a fiction author or a painter? The well-to-do will have a diferent answer than the neeedy.

It takes sophistication to want to learn more than you're required to know to get by. We all play guitar (or are learning) which means we're sophisticated, lol. [biggrin]

We'll see how many from the Freshman year make it into Junior year. Last semester 50% of the kids in our basic Statics course failed. The trend is not good.

How many kids make it to Junior Year these days? When I was at WPI a million years ago it was like 50%. Most of my best friends hit the road sometime during sophomore year.

You're at an engineering school, right?

How many kids make it to Junior Year these days? When I was at WPI a million years ago it was like 50%. Most of my best friends hit the road sometime during sophomore year.

You're at an engineering school, right?

Yeah I'm in aerospace engineering. It's about 70% now. I gave a seminar at WPI a few years ago. Great school!

Hello!

Inspired by this thread, I've watched a couple of videos about quantum-theory, 11-dimensional omniverse, and such...

I came to the conslusion, that we, - guitar players - are nothing but conscious beings emitting quantums of audible waveforms against the event horizon of the 4th dimension, for the joy or sorrow of other quantum-observers, using a Gibson guitar.

[blink]

Cheers from Mars... Bence

Archived