Gibson Brands Forums

EBM5 in the bag in Oz!

eggs

Thats great news! I'll get going on the truss cover template this weekend.

I appreciate that, thanksmsp_thumbup.gif

If you are planning on playing this bass in a band, I would suggest nothing smaller than a 100 watt amp. And that can easily be too small for a louder band situation. But that also depends on the speaker size and ohms. With this bass in particular, I strongly suggest that you get something with a 15" speaker. a 12" might be ok, but a 10" or multiple 10"s will make the bass sound harsh and trebley.

At the moment I am a complete novice so looking for a mid range amp, something that hold its own when jamming. My local shop had a Behringer 90 watt on the floor but I haven't tried my bass through it, I will bear your comments in mind when I have a look in the City during the week and see what I can get for my money.

On the subject of pickups: Is it possible to change the ceramic ones out or are the too proprietary?

Hi Kytty,

I've been busy this week and I'm just getting up to date.Now I understand about the true neck business.

As far as amps etc go,I've been in a studio for the last 2 days beside a bass rig.I converted the 2 x 18 Vox cab into a 2 x 15 using Celestion 400 watt PA speakers.I also chopped down an H/H PA100 amp to a 2 channel and re-housed it in a Vox head.Along with the German made Hoefner violin bass it sounds amazing.

I personally now use an Ampeg 1 x 15" bass cab (200 watt).I got rid of the 4 x 10 Ampeg.Didn't like it and too heavy.

Sorry for wittering,,,,,my point is, these old PA amps are as cheap as chips and sound great on 15" cabs.So for a bit of budget experimentation,I suggest you try that.

Speaking as a bass player,I only want volume,treble and bass controls on my amp.Fancy amps with EQs,filters,octividers and coffee machines installed cost much more and have more circuits to go wrong.

Hope this helps,,,,JC.

I get your drift Corson, I have only a very simple amp for my guitars and a couple of pedals, (and I don't use them very often.) They will do all that I ever want

I plan to have a look round in the trade in section some Guitar shops in Melbourne during my lunch times over the next couple of weeks and see what's around and what prices are like.

Totally agree with the boys on the 15" speaker requirement kytty...

Do you have any thoughts on a budget for this search?

& BTW, 'Triple M' are belting out 'High Voltage' as I post this... That's gotta be a sign for sure [tongue]

No not really.

I would have said around 400AUD. but I would rather wait an extra couple of weeks or so, save and get something decent rather than rush in and get "what's there" and be disappointed, hence all the newbie questions.

I will do some ground work will in town next week and come back here with loads of questions msp_razz.gif

STU, no experienca here with the Fender Rumble Bass amps. My only experience with Fender bass amps was an old solid state Bassman that I totally blew out (with the EBM).

The pickup size should be a straight drop-in. Nothing propriatary in that regard. Finding a P/J combo might be a little difficult, but you can easily buy them separately. You will have to gut all of the electronics though. The circuit board and all of the pots will have to go. As well, you will probably have to replace the input jack because it is a three-lead jack for active electronics. On the plus side, you wont have to worry about the battery. The knob configuration will also change. The current configuration is: Volume, Tone, Pickup Blend & Bass Boost. The configuation would most likely be changed to: Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone.

Personally, I think a set of Fender pickups would sound really good in the EBM.

• 2 weeks later...

STU, no experienca here with the Fender Rumble Bass amps. My only experience with Fender bass amps was an old solid state Bassman that I totally blew out (with the EBM).

The pickup size should be a straight drop-in. Nothing propriatary in that regard. Finding a P/J combo might be a little difficult, but you can easily buy them separately. You will have to gut all of the electronics though. The circuit board and all of the pots will have to go. As well, you will probably have to replace the input jack because it is a three-lead jack for active electronics. On the plus side, you wont have to worry about the battery. The knob configuration will also change. The current configuration is: Volume, Tone, Pickup Blend & Bass Boost. The configuation would most likely be changed to: Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone.

Personally, I think a set of Fender pickups would sound really good in the EBM.

Thanks for that Robin.

I am struggling with purchasing an amp. I have listened to several now and the ones i really like i can't afford and/or justify as a total novice player. I guess the best in my price bracket was a hartke hx115. I have been offered a harkte vx410 (http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/bass/hartke/VX410.htm) with a beringer head (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BVT4500H.aspx) for around the same money, but given the comments I am guessing this might be too harsh??

Hi Kytty,I've just noticed this.I use a Behringer 450watt head and it's way over the top on power.Also it's made from poor quality materials.I've had to replace 2 sockets as they just broke up.

The bass player of the band I'm doing the video stuff for is using my HH PA150 along with the 2 x 12 cab I built.The sound man is complaining to me that he has no control over the bass as it's so loud.So it's not going through the house PA.

And this is in theatres,,,,,not little pubs.

I had a shot of the bands new Fender 6 string bass.It's tuned like a guitar,3 pick ups and a whammy bar.I struggled a bit as the strings were so close together,,,,,,so I'm sticking to my Epi.

JC.

Archived