Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone know what model this is?

gibsonfran

I have this guitar and I can't figure out what model it is. The fretboard is not wood, it appears to be graphite. The headstock is a Synapse, but this guitar is HSH with a five way switch. It is a hardtail, but there is no Steinberger logo on the tailpiece. The pickups are passive w/ 2 EMG humbuckers and one "Select Design by EMG" single coil in the middle. Even though is is passive, there is an empty battery cavity on the back. It is gloss black and looks very much like a SS-2F, except for the pickup configuration. Also, it is labeled, "Spirit by Steinberger", not "Steinberger Synapse".Any input would be greatly appreciated!

post-55598-013182400 1366238448_thumb.jpg

I have this guitar and I can't figure out what model it is. The fretboard is not wood, it appears to be graphite. The headstock is a Synapse, but this guitar is HSH with a five way switch. It is a hardtail, but there is no Steinberger logo on the tailpiece. The pickups are passive w/ 2 EMG humbuckers and one "Select Design by EMG" single coil in the middle. Even though is is passive, there is an empty battery cavity on the back. It is gloss black and looks very much like a SS-2F, except for the pickup configuration. Also, it is labeled, "Spirit by Steinberger", not "Steinberger Synapse".Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

whatever we're going to find out, one thing seems pretty sure: this thing has been modified. BTW, a pic would be a fantastic start ;)

Basically it sounds like an older Spirit GT Pro (H-S-H), paddle shaped. Some of the older ones had a phenolic fretboard. No Spirit ever had a battery, so maybe the battery cavity is one of the modifications. I'm not sure what you mean by "headstock is a Synapse"… on a headless guitar. Maybe it's the JCustom combined headpiece? And the bridge: all Spirits originally had an R-Trem, none a fixed bridge. So this could be an aftermarket replacement like e.g. the JCustom FX Bridge or maybe one of the old Cort fixed bridges.

As I said above, a pic could do wonders :)

Bernd

Archived