Gibson Brands Forums

'65 SG Std left

Rockderk

I have a '64 Lefty SG Std[cherry]. It has 'wrong patent' pickups,[sticker on the back 2787342] which was actually the patent number for a '56 bridge and tailpiece and nothing to do with Gibson pickups. I bought it in 1984 from Beeb Birtles [of the Little River Band] at his home in Melbourne. It's not original. Has a brass nut, stop tailpiece, grovers, and I had the neck repaired and refinished after a sideways topple onto a tiled floor caused it to crack open near the headstock. Repaired and refinished. It has cracks, chips and wear from playing gigs for about 30 years. Since '89 it's been retired and living in its case, occasionally being brought out for a play [by me]. So 3 owners, beat up, all original apart from the above mentioned items. Beeb described it as 'ballsy' and I would have to agree. I used to play Santana's 'Europa' on this and get infinite sustain by walking a couple of feet closer to my Marshall. It's for sale, by the way.

Anybody seen another one, same spec? Lefty, I mean. I know about the right handed ones. And I'm calling it '64. In a letter I have from the Netherlands branch in the 70's, Gibson claims it's a '63, but my research [and the wrong patent pick ups] suggest it's a '64 made in the 2nd year of production of a 7-year run ['63- 70] See some pics here.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/rockderk/slideshow/

Please no lectures about how non-original guitars lose value. I've already described how beaten up it is.

Archived