Gibson Brands Forums

1971 ES335

JazzMeister

Nice sound clip which shows off the versatility of the ES 335. I like your arrangements of "Darn that Dream" and "All the Things You Are", but the bluesy piece you close with is more the strong suit of the ES 335.

You CAN play jazz on the ES 335, but it is greatest as a rock and blues guitar, IMHO.

Nice sound clip which shows off the versatility of the ES 335. I like your arrangements of "Darn that Dream" and "All the Things You Are", but the bluesy piece you close with is more the strong suit of the ES 335.

You CAN play jazz on the ES 335, but it is greatest as a rock and blues guitar, IMHO.

I am with Nick, on that opinion....But then....I'm not a "jazz guy" [cool]

You have great skills and the guitar sounds nice, nevertheless [thumbup]

I must say, before the 335 and the 330 I was playing jazz on a 56' ES125 and Strat respectively, and I can get a much better mellow jazz tone (but still with character) out of these new guys. I'll have to demo the long neck humbucker 330 vs the 335, because (what I think to be) the full hollow of the 330 gives it a very crisp sound that I can't get out of the 335, but at the same time if I roll the treble all the way back on the Vibroverb the 330 still has a body that the 335 loses when I roll off on both the tone knob or the treble on the amp.

I have an issue with 'jazz tone', as it sounds great, but from my experience, feels like the guitar is 'dead' when it's setup with flat wounds. I played an old Heritage the other day, setup with flat wounds and their neck jazz pickup (full hollow), and it was very 'flat', as compared to the character that both the 335 and 330 have (or even a 137 for that matter). Some day I'll convince myself to have something setup strictly for jazz. Have either of you played a 335 through a solid state jazz amp? Curious as to how close one could get to a 'mellow' Scofield trio tone (like heard on 'En Route') with a 335 like he does with his semi-hollow Ibanez.

I definitely agree though! As soon as I crank the amp and hit the 808 the 335 is in it's happy place, that's for sure! One of the more versatile guitars I've ever had the chance of playing!

What do you play to get your jazz tone, Nick?

What do you play to get your jazz tone, Nick?

I'm a blues guy, but L-5 Larry here (who is a real jazz guitarist) helped me in my search for a jazz guitar. I ended up with a 1947 L-7, and he very kindly gave me detailed instructions on installing an S-6 Benedetto, which is still on my "to do" list......

Life is short, and I have a lot of guitars..... (including a couple of ES-335's)

As you might guess, there are a couple of serious jazz/big band guys here: L-5 Larry, and Danny W. Both have decades of experience, and impressive stables of jazz guitars.

I'm a blues guy, but L-5 Larry here (who is a real jazz guitarist) helped me in my search for a jazz guitar. I ended up with a 1947 L-7, and he very kindly gave me detailed instructions on installing an S-6 Benedetto, which is still on my "to do" list......

Life is short, and I have a lot of guitars..... (including a couple of ES-335's)

As you might guess, there are a couple of serious jazz/big band guys here: L-5 Larry, and Danny W. Both have decades of experience, and impressive stables of jazz guitars.

That's incredible, and all too true about how life is short. Once I'm ready to step up to the plate for a vintage jazz guitar I'll have to get some info from you!

This is a great forum, and I'm very thankful for the help I've received thus far!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived