Gibson Brands Forums

4 chords

Izzy

I enjoyed that!

Thanks for posting!

[thumbup]

Classic...

Almost Literally. Well, Baroque at any rate.

OK, so he added quite a few twiddly bits to make it a bit more interesting but that, in essence, is Pachelbel's 'Canon'.

[wink]

P.

...OK, so he added quite a few twiddly bits to make it a bit more interesting but that, in essence, is Pachelbel's 'Canon'.

[wink]

P.

Old Johann laid the foundations of modern popular music. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Figured this is appropriate as well...

Funny stuff!

I've seen an hour-long documentary where they traced the influence of the 'Canon' in popular music and it is extraorinary how many tracks follow the progression - from fairly loosely to copycat stuff.

But then again; for all we know Pachelbel might have been copying someone from even further back in the mists of time....

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Haha lol.. funny.. In pop is 4 chords... In rock its just 3 :)

How many songs are just G D and C :)

[-( Nope, all good rock songs are in A. I thought everyone knew that...

Figured this is appropriate as well

http://youtu.be/JdxkVQy7QLM

That was good.

Part of the reason I posted this was...it reminded me of the post I made about, "ever written a song and thought it had been done before?"

People quickly pointed out there's only so much we can deviate from what we've heard hundreds of times. Well, there may be other chord combinations, but boy do these songs drive the point [biggrin]

Pachelbel's Canon is a bit more elaborate than these 4 chords, it starts similarly but in full it goes: D-A-Bm-F#m-G-D-G-A

There are lots of these "cliché"s, to use the term as it's origin, that make up almost all modern music. such as I-IV-V like the 12 bar blues progression, I-VI-VII like every single Iron Maiden song, and the closely related I-VII-VI like The solo and finale on Stairway To Heaven and All Along The Watchtower, etc...

This 4-chorder is probably the most used one, but if you go through all songs ever made you'll find almost all of them use at least one of a handful of patterns at some point.

As a comparison; a lot of paintings contain the same color combinations as the Mona Lisa..

Mona-Lisa-Duckface-1.jpg

E-major (C# minor).

But in "theory" the scale is

I (Major) ii (minor) iii (minor) IV (Major) V (Major) vi (minor) vii (diminished)

Given that, I'd say it would be C#minor, not E Major, but my knowledge of theory is just enough to be dangerous [flapper]

Archived