Gibson Brands Forums

Talk me out of getting a J-200 for 2800$ - is this a psychological condition?

seratone

I've been agonizing on pulling the switch on getting a used 2011 J-200 in Black with an Aura Eclipse p/u.

I went from a guy who owned a couple of black Takamine's EF341 SC's and a Variax Acoustic 700, also a 1975 Guild D25M for the video, to 2 J-45's (68 and 08), a Guild 212XL (78), Martin M36 (11), a couple of Larrivee's and a Taylor GS Mini (for the cottage). It seems as soon as I obsess over a new acoustic, get it, I'm on to obsessing about the next one.

Most of these I get over Kijiji (the Canadian version of Ebay Classifieds), or, in a few cases get them at Boutique used shops where I take a bath in Canadian taxes.

I haven't really had a dud deal yet. I thought the 68 J-45 was a little high priced at 2100$, it had a flattish tone, and bad action but that was recently fixed with an upgrade to heavier strings and a saddle adjustment. I've learned a lot. Found out that a body crack, no matter how well repaired will incur a 40% reduction in resale/trade value. In fact I haven't resold anything, just did a trade of a Larrivee P-10 Parlor for another Larrivee LV03. In fact, after the trade, I have just me another kindred spirit who has 25 guitars over my 14, all the more encouraging.

This obsession is starting to raise eyebrows among fellow musicians and friends. I'm not a rec room warrior, I actually play out in two bands, and perform solo as a singer songwriter.

I often have several posted for sale at one time, at a very attractive price - the guys who respond to acoustic guitar ads are better than most, but the lawn sale mentality of trying to bargain down is depressing - the trade offers for MIM's and Asian guitars is comical.

My recent obsession is a 2011 J-200 for 2800 in black - I've always liked the Black J-200's - way more Elvis and Everley's than Emmy Lou. This is the biggest fish yet. I've heard they're quieter than you would expect. At that price could it be seen as an investment? I never lowball as I feel it's a part of the karmic wheel, reducing your dignity for 50-100$ on a 2800$ purchase is just not my bag. Others may think it's part of the game.

The'Game' is what I'm concerned about, does it ever stop?

I guess my ramble is asking about the merits of the J-200 (assuming after playing it, it sounds and feels good), and long term affects of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)

I don't believe this forum is the right place to reach out for help in finding a sponsor for your affliction. I'd bet most of us here are also affected with this "syndrome," as evidenced from Euros post. Enough of that crap..... buy the damn thing, it's what you want to do anyway!

Yeah, wrong place to ask. I LOVE my J-200. I got a better deal but it's also not an Ebony issue but a burst.

I struggle with this all the time, too. And I AM a rec room warrior! But I enjoy them.

But I am one of the worst negotiators myself. However, when I see an interesting deal on eBay, I go for it. I haven't been burned (knock knock) yet. Some nice guitars at a good 50% off list.

I will say this. Right now is a BUYER'S MARKET.

I can't believe some of the deals I've been seeing. Especially how if a guitar, say a J-45, is priced around $1500, it either sits or gets one bid. No one seems to go for $1600.

There may come a time when it won't be so. I'm enjoying the getting while the getting is good.

.... The'Game' is what I'm concerned about, does it ever stop? .... I guess my ramble is asking about the merits of the J-200 (assuming after playing it, it sounds and feels good), and long term affects of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)

I love the J-200. Since you mention Emmy Lou, she's said: "It is simply a thing of beauty, an American original with its shape and appearance. Nothing else even comes close." . I love the clear maple high end, while the size gives it richer tone than you'd expect from a spruce/maple combo. Looks great, plays great, sounds great.

Does it ever stop? . Seeing as you're at 14 guitars the answer is most likely no. But, you can manage it. Take it slow. Keep looking back at your acquisitions and re-evaluate your decision to keep each one with an eye toward selling off guitars that no longer fit your liking. Get a handle on what you'd like to have in a sizable collection and let that guide your purchases.

The long term affects of GAS - improvement of your guitar knowledge, development of deal making and collection management skills, and learning to make creative financial strategies. And, of course, more guitars than you really need. . B)

Being up to something like seven acoustics these days I am not about to diagnose you - one of those physicians heal thyself kinda things.

If you want the guitar and will not end up going without food or air conditioning to buy it then just get it. But make sure you can cozy up to the sound. J-200s seem to be an either love it or leave it kinda guitar. My wife owns a 1960 J-200 and will tell you it is the best guitar in the world. While I certainly appreciate the sound and build quality of the instrument, it just does not float my boat these days.

Gotta say, I have never heard of a guitar being devalued as much as 40% for a professionaly done crack repair. A re-finish yes but a crack repair?

I also never had a problem shooting a low ball offer. I do not come up with a figure that is so low only an idiot or the truly desperate would ever accept it but I always haggle. And my dignity (and checkbook) has managed to survive unscathed. A friend of mine who owns a music store always says you know you have reached a deal when nobody is overjoyed with it. There does seem to be alot of truth in that.

Seratone I found this one on ebay, which being a 1990 model has the highly regarded Sycamore (English/European Maple)B&S that everyone raves about on here, and going by the scratchplate, it`s certainly been played a lot, which is always the sign of a good guitar. It is also cheaper than the one you mentioned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-Gibson-J-200-/380383902185?pt=Guitar&hash=item5890a5b9e9#ht_337wt_958

I'd definitely buy it, because as I'm sure you've already convinced yourself, "This is the last one. My Holy Grail." ...lol...We've all been there and done that, and we continue to do it. No doubt, you've got GAS. There's no cure. It's chronic and you'll have to live with it. Enjoy it.

I don't believe this forum is the right place to reach out for help in finding a sponsor for your affliction. I'd bet most of us here are also affected with this "syndrome," as evidenced from Euros post. Enough of that crap..... buy the damn thing, it's what you want to do anyway!

TOOO FUNNY!!!!

I'd definitely buy it, because as I'm sure you've already convinced yourself, "This is the last one. My Holy Grail." ...lol...We've all been there and done that, and we continue to do it. No doubt, you've got GAS. There's no cure. It's chronic and you'll have to live with it. Enjoy it.

Ain't that the truth!!!!!???

I've been gassing for several years for a J-200. They sound so amazingly huge and resonant! It's like Miles and Coltrane! How can you not like it? You're welcome to the black though. I'd get either a burst or natural. These are showy-*** guitars. Why cover it all up with black? Just my 2 cents on the color.

Yeah, wrong place to ask. I LOVE my J-200. I got a better deal but it's also not an Ebony issue but a burst.

I struggle with this all the time, too. And I AM a rec room warrior! But I enjoy them.

But I am one of the worst negotiators myself. However, when I see an interesting deal on eBay, I go for it. I haven't been burned (knock knock) yet. Some nice guitars at a good 50% off list.

I will say this. Right now is a BUYER'S MARKET.

I can't believe some of the deals I've been seeing. Especially how if a guitar, say a J-45, is priced around $1500, it either sits or gets one bid. No one seems to go for $1600.

There may come a time when it won't be so. I'm enjoying the getting while the getting is good.

You are right about the Buyers market S.B. The exception seems to be late '60's-'70's dreads (Hummingbirds especially). Go figure.

This is how you justify it (at least to yourself, your wife may not buy it). Could you sell it for the sam amount? sure. So in essence you are getting a guitar that you can enjoy until the G.A.S. hits you again, then sell it with a net cost of $0. By the way, I didn't take business classes in university.

I try (don't always succeed) to buy used where I can at least get my money back and buy new figuring I will loose 4 to 5 hundred if I sell it too soon. If it doesn't past those numbers I usually pass on it. I bought a new J200 last year 3000 out the door from my local dealer. My hope is if I needed to sale it right now I might get 2400. My guitars are not investments like some of the ones I see on the forum. My biggest problem is getting the guitars in my hands before I buy it. There just doesn't seem to be anything local. Lately I've been trying to deal with dealers that have a liberal return so that way I'm only out the shipping. If I find my dream guitar I would probably loose all sense of control and pay double. Good luck with your decision

I've been agonizing on pulling the switch on getting a used 2011 J-200 in Black with an Aura Eclipse p/u.

I went from a guy who owned a couple of black Takamine's EF341 SC's and a Variax Acoustic 700, also a 1975 Guild D25M for the video, to 2 J-45's (68 and 08), a Guild 212XL (78), Martin M36 (11), a couple of Larrivee's and a Taylor GS Mini (for the cottage). It seems as soon as I obsess over a new acoustic, get it, I'm on to obsessing about the next one.

Most of these I get over Kijiji (the Canadian version of Ebay Classifieds), or, in a few cases get them at Boutique used shops where I take a bath in Canadian taxes.

I haven't really had a dud deal yet. I thought the 68 J-45 was a little high priced at 2100$, it had a flattish tone, and bad action but that was recently fixed with an upgrade to heavier strings and a saddle adjustment. I've learned a lot. Found out that a body crack, no matter how well repaired will incur a 40% reduction in resale/trade value. In fact I haven't resold anything, just did a trade of a Larrivee P-10 Parlor for another Larrivee LV03. In fact, after the trade, I have just me another kindred spirit who has 25 guitars over my 14, all the more encouraging.

This obsession is starting to raise eyebrows among fellow musicians and friends. I'm not a rec room warrior, I actually play out in two bands, and perform solo as a singer songwriter.

I often have several posted for sale at one time, at a very attractive price - the guys who respond to acoustic guitar ads are better than most, but the lawn sale mentality of trying to bargain down is depressing - the trade offers for MIM's and Asian guitars is comical.

My recent obsession is a 2011 J-200 for 2800 in black - I've always liked the Black J-200's - way more Elvis and Everley's than Emmy Lou. This is the biggest fish yet. I've heard they're quieter than you would expect. At that price could it be seen as an investment? I never lowball as I feel it's a part of the karmic wheel, reducing your dignity for 50-100$ on a 2800$ purchase is just not my bag. Others may think it's part of the game.

The'Game' is what I'm concerned about, does it ever stop?

I guess my ramble is asking about the merits of the J-200 (assuming after playing it, it sounds and feels good), and long term affects of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)

Talk you out of it? OK. Here goes. DON'T buy that guitar. You will regret it. Why? I know this because I bought and owned 27 high end guitars. Talk about GAS! It cost me over $40,000...WAISTED. Why? ...Because all I needed was ONE or at most TWO good guitars, but... GAS...no one could convince me I didn't need another guitar. I've since sold most of them off and am now down to six guitars. (that is actually 4 too many). Don't waste your money. Guitars are wonderful, but GAS is LETHAL financially. I regret buying all those guitars. The thousands I lost can never be recovered. I could have bought two brand new automobiles for what I squandered.And still I have GAS! Don't buy that guitar! If you have one or two good guitars..that is all you will ever need. Good luck. I must be off now as I have to run to the guitar store to see about a new Gibson Hummingbird!...GAS..it's a terrible illness. [cursing]

I sincerely believe that Seratone has a real good point with this thread. This GAS or whatever you want to call it is a definite problem. It may be a physical problem. At the very least it is a psychological problem. It may even mean that if you have GAS you are the unwilling victim of an overwhelming and compulsive behavior. Of course, if that's the case, it's not your fault if you continue buying guitars, because you can't help yourself. (I'm starting to like this explanation).

Yeah, Wily...and we all tend to have "that" problem you mention. When I got my J60 about 3-months ago, I was kind of feeling like maybe I've got the guitars I truly need....lol....yeah, right....But seriously, I really was thinking that. Then, with all the talk about the various Gibson models on this forum I started looking at all my guitars (all 14 at the moment) and discovered that I don't have a maple guitar that I'm aware of (unless it's one of my imported Heinz 57 Varieties, and I'm not sure of all of them. They're all decent, but some are truly mutts). Anyway, I've now gone as far as mentioning this dilemma to my wife. I even waited until she brought-up the topic of "you can only play one-at-a-time." I totally agreed with her that I have too many guitars and that the only thing I really needed guitar-wise was a maple guitar. Then I wouldn't need anything else. She asked me "How much are they?" I said, " don't worry about it, hon. I'm just talking," and I dropped the subject. She's nibbled at the bait. Soon I might be setting the hook......but it's not my fault.

I see some half-hearted attempts at talking you out of it, but?

Just buy it and stop annoying yourself.... didn't Elvis have one of those? Good enough for Big E, good enough for the rest of us!

(I gave up smoking 3 odd years back and got serious Gibson lust to replace the tobacco crave and only wonder what would have happened if I had a been rich?)

BluesKing777.

Archived