Gibson Brands Forums

Ground Noise

I see from searching a few others have had issues with noise. I have a 2012 Custom Shop LPR9 which is quite noisy when simply plugged in to my amp. The noise stops if you touch any metal parts of the guitar (including the strings). This does not happen with any of my otehr guitars so is not an amp or general grounding issue. A couple of posts here I have seen reference a post that no longer appears (Post 5228 - http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=5228).

Does anyone have the details of that thread or can point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

I can't help with that thread but I can tell you that you need to shield the control cavity on your guitar to reduce the noise.

Here's a youtube video that will get you started. Careful - the sound is loud and annoying at the beginning.

The video isn't a perfect fit for your situation (strat copy not LP) but will give you the concepts you need to continue your research.

Good luck,

dave

Thanks, but not sure that's the issue. Shielding has been tried with this problem by many without sucess. The general feeling from doing lots of research is that it's a wiring issue. Re-wiring with high grade shielded wiring appears to be what's required. It's just that that particular thread is referenced in many places and I was curious as to the conclusion to which it came.

If you touch the strings and the noise goes away it is a shielding issue.

Better wire might do it but if it is a real Gibson the braided wire is probably ok.

Is the cavity shielded? Is the shielding in the cavity grounded?

I know you say this is not a shielding issue. I am not sure I agree. Post a pic of your wiring cavity and it might help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived