Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody ever use the Silver plated Pyramid Acousic guitar Strings?

merseybeat1963

After 3 sets of Newtone strings..they suck for me as did the even worse T.Infeld Spectrum.

Also tried a set of DR Rare 12-54 and the whole "round wound feels easier to play" is baloney.

Both those strings feels like there is more mass under thy finger and tension measurement is no less..it just aint so..

Both EXP & Elixir in PB feels a touch more flexy to me.

Want lighter feel..go for lighter strings..but dont go for Newtones Masterclass cause they will feel stiffer than same gauge in comp.

I've always *****ed that Martin sold me " Just another Martin" with this Custom made D42 guitar..but it seems they did exactly what i asked but I had been using too heavy a string on it.

When I ordered it I told rep that I was only going to use light strings on it and I wanted them to make it light to respond to light strings.

The guy promised me he would see to it,would personally select the woods and that "some of the worlds best Luthiers were going to work on this guitar".

The guitar responds a lot better to the 11-52 / 11-50 strings and is no less loud. Before it felt stiff and choked.

So now Id say Ernie Ball have been the best but Id like to try the two Pyramid types.

Thanks

Off topic slightly but pretty sure the dr rares are not round core. For that you should try the sunbeams. I do note a difference between the two fwiw. Still think the rares are lower tension than your average string though.

Agree with the above - round wound and round core are two different things. The advantage of round core string is that you can use a heavier guage but will have less tension on the neck and bridge than with hex core strings. I know lots of folks who swear by the DR Sunbeams. Pearce also makes a nice set of round core strings. If you want a different feel you can try something like the D'Aquisto Tony Rice Custom nickels. I like them but nickel strings are not everybody's cup of tea.

Havent tried the silver one but for all my mahogany guitars I now use Pyramid Western Classics after using Sunbeams on them for a couple years.

How are the 'silver' one meant to be different ?

The Pyramid owner says the sliver plated Acoustic (are on copper)/hex steel core have a mellower tone than the Phospher Bronze version..

As to string tension being lower, I asked Newtone and the lbs of tension were pretty much the same as D'Addarrio's in same gauge...or just a miniscule less.

In the 3 sets of Newtone round core strings I tried, I felt a string with more mass under my fingers..not a more flexible string at all.

I tried Elixir 80/20 which are 158 lbs compared to 162 for PB but the difference is not feelable.

The illusion of round them being less tension may have to do with the round core probably moves/rolls inside the outer winding..as hex bites it in to place.

When I went to Ernie Ball 11-52 that I felt were noticeably less compared to 12-53 Elixir/EXP D'A's)

The Heritage Newtone 12-52 is supposedly only 141 lbs..that may make a difference, but I was not impressed by sound of the Masterclass sets & Newtone would not answer my request to exchange 3 unopened packs to give Heritage a shot.(Twice no answer)

Bad business idea when the guy considering them has 18 guitars which all require strings every so often.

I've often wondered it the alloy used in the high "e" string and the "b" string are different across manufacturers. AND, does the Elixir coating cover these strings or only the WRAPPED STRINGS??? I mean....why get phosphor bronze over 80/20's if the e and b string are the same. Warmer tones with the PB but same tone on the e&b???? It would make sense to warm up the e&b strings with a different alloy, wouldn't it?

I've often wondered it the alloy used in the high "e" string and the "b" string are different across manufacturers. AND, does the Elixir coating cover these strings or only the WRAPPED STRINGS??? I mean....why get phosphor bronze over 80/20's if the e and b string are the same. Warmer tones with the PB but same tone on the e&b???? It would make sense to warm up the e&b strings with a different alloy, wouldn't it?

It seems from what Ive read some people just prefer the sound of 80/20's much more than PB. Some plate the plains with as the case of Pyramid Silver wound with Silver..and some brass..but I dont think it makes much diiff.

Tell you one thing..I sure play a lot better on an electric (009-036) than on an acoustic 12-53...or 11-52)

• 1 month later...

I've tried it, good strings. But I prefer, for my Blues King, the Pyramid Nickel Classic for electric guitar in the .011 set (.011 .014 .020w .030w .042w. 050w) I need a light gauge due to a problem of tendinitis.

The volume is not huge, compared to bronze, but is very nice and warm. Perfect for my playing style (mostly fingerpicking).

There is also the .012 set (.012 .016 . 022w . 032w. 044w. 054w).

You can found it on an on-line german shop for about 7,90€ (10,26 Usd).

I've tried it, good strings. But I prefer, for my Blues King, the Pyramid Nickel Classic for electric guitar in the .011 set (.011 .014 .020w .030w .042w. 050w) I need a light gauge due to a problem of tendinitis.

The volume is not huge, compared to bronze, but is very nice and warm. Perfect for my playing style (mostly fingerpicking).

There is also the .012 set (.012 .016 . 022w . 032w. 044w. 054w).

You can found it on an on-line german shop for about 7,90€ (10,26 Usd).

Thanks.

i just took these off guitar yesterday,they were mellow and pretty good...but Id like more volume and brightness.

I put 11-52 80/20 Nano Elixir which sound louder and pretty nice.

Im surprised Pyramids cost 7.90 euro in Italy as there is a guy on this forum who buys them for 3 euro a set in Prague..

I have a set of bronze Pyramid Acoustic 12-52 which I havent tried yet. Im sure they will be very good cause the silver were quite nice compared to many other brands.

Archived