Gibson Brands Forums

My New Gibson's

Pickax

On a previous thread I wrote about picking up a couple of Gibson's - a J-45 RW and a 95 L-00 Blues King. Here are some pictures. Both are great Guitars in terms of tone, volume, fit/finish and playability. As a devout Martin player these Gibson's are quickly becoming my favorites. They are the first Guitars I've owned that have a Sunburst finish, Slope Shoulder and Short Scale (45) and a 00 body size (Blues King) in over 30 years of playing. I've been a Dread player since the beginning and it is surprising to me how I hadn't discovered these Guitars until now.

2471300360054353545S600x600Q85.jpg

2900824540054353545S600x600Q85.jpg

2502170600054353545S600x600Q85.jpg

2032671380054353545S600x600Q85.jpg

Beautiful!

So' date=' I'm in the market for a good acoustic. As a Martin man who has discovered these two guitars, which one would you suggest a guy like me to consider?[/quote']

That's a difficult call to make as I really like both of these Guitars. I got the J-45 RW first and the L-00 came about two weeks later. If I were limited to buying one, I guess it would be the J-45 RW as it is a bit more versatile than the L-00. The 45 responds so nicely to strumming, flatpicking and fingerstyle. The L-00's primary strength is in fingerstyle play but it does a fine job with a flatpick. It is a deep body, Mahogany L-00 - a Nick Lucas type deep body. The easy answer would be to get both!

Now while I love my Martins and always will, I am really getting into this Gibson tone. Wish I would have found these years ago!

I thought I was bad......two new guitars at the same time?????? You MUST be single' date=' or have a VERY understanding wife....lol[/quote']

My wife doesn't understand G.A.S. and the need to have more than one Guitar/Mandolin but at the same time, she puts up with my Guitar/Mandolin obsession. I maintain a self imposed limit on instruments and when one or in this case two come in, two go out. That helps to keep the waters calm on the home front =P~

Actually, since picking up these 2 Gibson's, I can feel myself running out of steam with the need to buy and sell. Perhaps my G.A.S. is cured or at least is now in remission.

Beautiful!

So' date=' I'm in the market for a good acoustic. As a Martin man who has discovered these two guitars, which one would you suggest a guy like me to consider?[/quote']

Yes, beautiful guitars, Pickax!

But for James, make sure you look at a number of Advanced Jumbos as well. I have an '07 - purchased from an original owner - that I think is just wonderful, although I would have preferred the slightly larger 'vintage neck' width if I had been ordering a custom model.

Dave in SLC

Pickax.....I've NEVER seen one case of GAS in remission.....but perhaps you could be the first.....those two would last me a long time.......but then GAS raises it's ugly head....lol....enjoy them

Does remission mean you can still look but not buy? :( If that's the case, I might be alright for awhile. I'd have to sell one to buy another and I just don't see that in the cards. I'll play this hand for as long as I can. Wish me well.

Archived