Gibson Brands Forums

A song for those of you who perform

RusRob

This has been one of my favorite songs since the early 70's when I first heard it. (It was the first song I ever learned how to finger pick)

Some of you may already know of Janis Ian but for those that don't here is one of her great songs about performing.

She was only 16 or 17 when she wrote this song but I think she had insight beyond her years.

Janis Ian - Stars

It is a very long song but tells a great story.

Can someone tell me how to embed a youtube video? I have tried several time but no joy...[/size]

This is all I seem to be able to get.... [cursing]

just paste your link as normal, but remove the "s" at the end of the "https" piece of the link -

WOW, that is an amazing song and amazing performance. That lady has got it. I thought "17" was great, this is, too! Never heard this song. I don't buy many records from girl singers but perhaps I shall buy that album!

Wow, she is just a barrell of laughs...............

I thought that was the most depressing thing I have heard since the last one of hers I heard - the above-mentioned "17". Which I always thought was a great one to learn in case some very pretty girl singer dained to sing with me and I would bring forth: "17".

But I am going to listen to something a touch more joyful like Son House doing .......

BluesKing777.

trvlr, Thank you, I tried every way possible but your suggestion works... [thumbup]

I have seen Janis Ian many times and she is one of the most intimate performers I have ever seen. She also takes time to talk directly to her audience. She answers questions , sign autographs and talk to people after her shows. She will even stop in the middle of her show and talk to people in the audience. And she encourages people to record video and post stuff on Youtube.

BK, Sorry you don't like her. Not every performer is funny... You of all people should know that the roots of blues is about the downtrodden and left out group of people. The very name represents depression and in some cases anger.

This is her today. (just for you BK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV104Tb7KEE

Yes, sad, introspective but real. Thanks for posting. I had the pleasure to hear her perform @ my college back East when she was barely 17. She performed "17" on a Gibson 12-string, yup, saw it, heard it. Had to be a B 25 12 N since she is petite. Even with the smaller body size of the 25 she could barely get her arm up and over it. Very memorable time. Went to NYC that summer and got a B-45-12N for myself. It was her performance that did it. Still have the Gibby and some fine memories. Your posting brought it all back. Thanks.

Archived