Gibson Brands Forums

Epi EB3 L problems

drzing

My dear fellows,

I am experiencing the following problem with my EB3L:

One day the neck is perfectly straight, on the next day, it is buzzing on the 1st string! (lump)

Since I have lowered its action AND managed to have the neck straight, without buzzing, this problem has

become more pronounced.

I realized that this bass has another variable on the tensioning of the neck, which is the frontal screw of

the bridge, besides the truss rod.

Is there a way to fix it or should I try to return this bass?

Also, when I play the G string, I can hear the neck working like a spring and the note goes - 'weeeooowwweeeeeoooowwooowwww'...

Very disappointing.

I think the only possible way to fix it would be too up the front screw as to get more string tension, set desired action, and then

go for the truss rod adjustment (to put some tension as to stop that 'spring' effect) or it has no cure?

This bass looks so robust, its almost pure mahogany, some 'heavy kilos' of it, with a glued neck...

The worst is that I left time pass, I thought it was season change (wish I am all wrong on this post), I am not sure if

the date hasn't expired yet.

What I know is that I will probably stick to Gibson for life now, at worst some limited Epi 'Custom Shop'.

Please, is there a cure?

](*,)

the bridge should really be fairly even with the body. if you search the forum about setting up a 3 point bridge, you'll probably find some helpful threads. regarding the neck, perhaps the truss rod needs an adjustment. that's always part of setting up an instrument. if you're not sure about doing it yourself, take it to a reputable repair shop. it doesn't cost too much. good luck and enjoy you EB-3L!

Thanks Ramone, yes, I am able to perform basic maintence, this is not my first bass

(my brother destroyed our old one), I am in no way a luthier neither I aspire to.

I am a musician who knows how to fix his 'ride'.

SO, I got a replacement easily, and I don't regret.

Its interesting, this one is from Korea, according to the serial, the other was from china, and

indeed, I had felt a few differences before checking. The quality control of the chinese seems

better, I had to tighten a few bolts and screws, but as in general it seems much better built,

the neck is way stronger/better fitted, still it feels like its at least 1kg lighter on your

back (maybe they add counterwheights in china?), I think it is a little heavier than my good

old Epi LP.

Now I'm happy, but I need to complain to EPI about those plastic nuts, what the hell?

I seem to be the only one who likes the unique bridge of this bass, I find its useful to have

the front screw setting, who complains about no individual height settings for each string

seems to be coming from fender bass/guitar world... I prefer to have less screws to screw. B)

Archived